New Airfix 2013 Releases

atdb27

Not sure if this has already been started 'Somewhere' on here?

Not only are Airfix blessing us with a 48th Javelin but also announced,..

New Tool:

Lightning F2A

Harrier Gr1

Harrier Gr3

Vampire T11

We are to be spoilt ++

Other New Tooling

Gladiator

Gladiator + Floats

Lancaster + Hercules Engines!

WWII Bomb Loading set

Typhoon 1

Hurricane Early version

https://www.airfix.com/airfix-products/new-for-2013/

Wow Christmas has come early :)

Adrian

Edited by atdb27

That for me is the real 'left field' anouncement.

Indeed! Remember when Heller released the Javelin T3? I think it's the same basic premise here with the sheer number of unit markings that can be applied to this version of the airframe, hence the high potential for multiple sales.

John

Wot - no Balliol?

Seriously though hats off to whoever persuaded the bean counters to back off. The Vampire will certainly be added to my stash, once as a Rhodesian example and RAN too.

The fabric wing Hurri too. Maybe all silver Yugoslav or Belgian both pre war.

Trevor

I can't wait to see all of the the Xtradecal sheets - this little gem of a kit will generate!!!

What shade of green do I need for an Admiral's Barge?

Dark blue, actually. The Sea Hawks were green, but the T.22s were the same scheme as the Hunter T.8s.

Not so.

http://img.photobuck...mpire-XA160.jpg

Now, to turn it into a T10 - new canopy, fins and nose?

There was no T.10 only an NF.10. The fuselage on the 11 was wider to accommodate side by side seating. On the 10, the seats were slightly staggered.

In effect only the wings and undercarriage carried over.

Trevor

Dark blue, actually. The Sea Hawks were green, but the T.22s were the same scheme as the Hunter T.8s.

You're almost correct! On page 29 of Adrian Balch's excellent 'De Havilland Twin Boom ' Book, there are two photo's. One is of XG775 on 9th September 1967 at RNAS Yeovilton in Blue and White (now WOULDN'T that look nice next to a similarly painted SHAR2!) AND of XA160 taken at RNAS Lee-on-Solent in August 1963. This is in GREEN and white.

There was no T.10 only an NF.10. The fuselage on the 11 was wider to accommodate side by side seating. On the 10, the seats were slightly staggered.

Trevor

Ooops, typo, I meant NF10! I'd forgotten the nose was widened (I wonder by how much)

Trevor

I'm not sure thats correct Trevor? The T11 was an updated version of the NF(T)10. (A 'stripped down' version - with A1.Mk10 radar removed and replaced with navigational training radar). Fuselage pods were the same width - otherwise the wings wouldn't have fitted!

Unless this extra width was further up the nose?

These NF(T)10's didn't have ejector seats and neither did the early T11's..........Cockpits were of course re-arranged to accommodate ejection seats on later T11's . Now the length of the pods may have been different - due to the different equipment housed.

The breakdown of John Adams/Aeroclub's lovelly 1/48th scale Vampire vac-form kit shows how DeH managed this. Essentially the rear fuselage pod and wings (not wing tips though!) were constant on ALL Vampires. The only external differences between the Marks were the nose pods and booms....

Edited by Bill Clark

I'm not sure thats correct Trevor? The T11 was an updated version of the NF(T)10. (A 'stripped down' version - with A1.Mk10 radar removed and replaced with navigational training radar). Fuselage pods were the same width - otherwise the wings wouldn't have fitted!

Unless this extra width was further up the nose?

These NF(T)10's didn't have ejector seats and neither did the early T11's..........Cockpits were of course re-arranged to accommodate ejection seats on later T11's . Now the length of the pods may have been different - due to the different equipment housed.

The breakdown of John Adams/Aeroclub's lovelly 1/48th scale Vampire vac-form kit shows how DeH managed this. Essentially the rear fuselage pod and wings (not wing tips though!) were constant on ALL Vampires. The only external differences between the Marks were the nose pods and booms....

The back of my mind says that this was one of the things John 'discovered' when he was re-measuring lots of aeroplanes - the bulge is forward of the leading edge.

The back of my mind says that this was one of the things John 'discovered' when he was re-measuring lots of aeroplanes - the bulge is forward of the leading edge.

Hopefully John will be along shortly!!! In the meantime have a look at the header photo on The Vampire Preservation Grpup's WZ507 ( A machine I very nearly had a flight in a decade ago - scuppered by my divorce!!! grrrrrrrrr........

http://www.vampirepreservation.org.uk/

Hope so, I may have been wrong, found this:

The Vampire was designed as a single seater and the first two seater was the NF.10. The staggered arrangement allowed elbow room for the pilot and a radar scope to be fitted for the Nav. The early T.11's despite having a wider cockpit sill (not a wider fuselage) did not have ejection seats. The seats in a Sea Venom are lightweight Mk.4's and are structurally different to all other Mk.4 types. This causes a lot of confusion.

http://www.network54... as a bomber...

It could be the wider cockpit and different shaped canopy creates the illusion of a wider fuselage.

Perhaps a new thread?

Edited by Dave Fleming

Hope so, I may have been wrong, found this:

[/size][/font][/size][/font]

http://www.network54... as a bomber...

It could be the wider cockpit and different shaped canopy creates the illusion of a wider fuselage.

Perhaps a new thread?

Yes, a good idea.

The more elbow room could of course relate to internal equipment being removed...One thing though any actual difference in width would be small in 1/72nd!!!!

The T.11 fuselage was modified to allow side by side seating by cutting down the cockpit sides and adding a curved section to give more lateral width for the pilot's shoulders. Compare an NF.10 pod and a T.11 pod and you'll see what I'm referring to - an outwardly curved section adjacent to the pilot's shoulders on the T.11 which the NF.10 does not have giving an extra few inches of width.

It means that the 'wider' pod is only wider around the cockpit opening. This might help...

26841.jpg

Changes to the T.11 to accomodate ejection seats were all internal apart from the new canopy design.

Mark

Edited by StephenMG