1/48 Blackburn Firebrand

Dmitri

hey guys, wish me luck. I intentionally picked the... most hopeless kit from my stash.

Please share references if you could - this a/c is not well covered in literature, and internet. If you have any close-up pics, I will be very greatful

IMG_0101.jpg

IMG_0102.jpg

IMG_0103.jpg

IMG_0107.jpg

IMG_0109.jpg

IMG_0110.jpg

IMG_0111.jpg

IMG_0113.jpg

IMG_0113.jpg

IMG_0115.jpg

yeah, gents, I know...

I'm building the kit as a tribute to a modeller who passed away just couple of weeks ago. His name was Phil Brandt. He was known for tackling crappiest and most difficult kits

• Like 1

Good luck! What was it with Blackburn's Design office? They really turned out some monsters in their time - Blackburn Blackburn, anyone? :banghead:

It wasn't the design office, it was the location, not much to enspire a designer! Mind you they did extol themselves with te Buccanneer!

Dmitiri you may have all the reference that is available on this subject, sometime I think too much reference only serves to slow you down. Good luck with your build.

Colin

• Like 1

cannons and prop/spinner assembly.

I'm using BarracudaCast cannons. And main wheels will come from BarracudaCast (Firefly late style wheels) as well.

A departure from OOB, but you should see the original Magna parts :-).

IMG_0120.jpg

IMG_0122.jpg

IMG_0127.jpg

IMG_0129.jpg

IMG_0131.jpg

• Like 1

Dimitri

As my friend Bruce mentioned i have built one , yes its difficult but well worth the effort, and you seem to have a handle on the process, love your approach to the cannons and prop so am looking forward to your progress

What a great tribute to Bondo, i always loved seeing his models

Cheers

HI Dmitri, I know nothing about the Firebrand, but I have a hunch that you've got something wrong with the prop blades. The washout (twist) of the blades needs to be from a high angle of attack near the spinner to a shallow/flat angle at the tip (velocity of the blade at the tip is much higher than at the spinner due to more circumference covered the further out you go). In your pictures I it looks like it's just the other way round.

Could be just an illusion in the photograph, but I thought better safe than sorry...

Dimitri

As my friend Bruce mentioned i have built one , yes its difficult but well worth the effort, and you seem to have a handle on the process, love your approach to the cannons and prop so am looking forward to your progress

What a great tribute to Bondo, i always loved seeing his models

Cheers

Thanks Norman! I found your Firebrand - what an undertaking! I know it'll be a long affair, but I'll try to keep things simple.

HI Dmitri, I know nothing about the Firebrand, but I have a hunch that you've got something wrong with the prop blades. The washout (twist) of the blades needs to be from a high angle of attack near the spinner to a shallow/flat angle at the tip (velocity of the blade at the tip is much higher than at the spinner due to more circumference covered the further out you go). In your pictures I it looks like it's just the other way round.

Could be just an illusion in the photograph, but I thought better safe than sorry...

Jeff, I know exactly what your point is. I just checked the blades - seems I got it right though. Thank you for the heads-up!

• 1 month later...

slowly moving forward - no time for modelling recently. It promises to be a loooong build.

Cockpit is 50% done - dash probably needs more detail, and I haven't even started on the side panels that much, therefore nothing to show really.

IMG_0176_zpseb535b8c.jpg

IMG_0174_zps492ddd06.jpg

IMG_0178_zps2c57d164.jpg

IMG_0182_zpsc60b929f.jpg

IMG_0183_zps303b4933.jpg

IMG_0184_zps57733a7e.jpg

IMG_0186_zps516ccae9.jpg

IMG_0187_zps35d5d642.jpg

IMG_0189_zpsc45a3176.jpg

IMG_0190_zps936136d2.jpg

IMG_0191_zpsf3fb8493.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Dmitri, The Firebrand is taking shape nicely and a great idea as tribute to your friend. I took some models form a friends collection, with his widdows permission of course to keep in memory of the good times we had as modellers.

Colin

Wow, this is coming along brilliantly and your workmanship is superb, love what you`ve done with the cannons and control surfaces.

For inspiration I`ve attached a pic of my 48th scale Firebrand but I can see that yours is going to look so much better;

48thfirebrand.jpg

I`ll be following your build with great interest,

Keep up the good work,

Tony O

Looking very good, I am not a great fan of Magna models, I just think their resin is very blobby

You don't have to be politically correct here Kev.... just say it, the kit is a POS!!!! LOL! :-)

Tony, amazing model! Thanks for posting! I think you'd agree, the kit is a disaster! :-) But I'm enjoying building it so much!

The biggest problem, surprise, surprise.... not the kit, the lack of references. Would you have some close-ups, or scrap drawing of the torpedo rack/clutch assembly?

Gents! If I am to do the 827 Sqn. HMS Eagle circa 1952 mount; what would be the spinner color???/

Two options: Red and EDSG.

Please do not reference to color profiles in Warpaint and From the Cockpit publications. I dismissed those two - I don't think spinner color specified correctly.

Thanks!

woke up at 5 a.m. this morning, camping at home today.
did a quick project for my Firebrand TF.5 - very cool! What a treat for a change!
And now back to the salt mine, that Magna Firebrand certainly is :-)

Dare to compare to the original kit's parts - they got the size correctly, so it wouldn't be a total write-off :-)
Somehow I managed to kill that delicate tread with primer. Varnish is not cured yet - note a bit of gloss, but it'll go away. I need to figure out how to emphasize the tread once it cures completely.
Looking pretty clean: it'll be carrier based mount from 827 sqn./HMS Eagle .
Good job Roy!

IMG_0197_zps8f8688a9.jpg

IMG_0198_zps84923c73.jpg

Edited by Dmitri
  • Like 1

a quick update today. I'm determined to use original Magna parts, slacking a bit with very fine BarracudaCast items: wheels and cannons. The landing gear struts would be much easier to make from the scratch with better results I can assure you, but I just dressed up Magna's white metal struts - turned out OK.

Grey primer on all the gear doors for a time being.

IMG_0201_zps94dbe5c9.jpg

IMG_0202_zpsfe936101.jpg

Edited by Dmitri
  • Like 1