Top Gun "Mig 28"

Hi

Firstly I hope you don't mind me joining this GB and that the subject is suitable. I needed a build that would get me out of my current modelling rut, and I saw this as a fairly quick, easy and (most importantly) fun build.

So here's the subject, its the fictional MIG 28 from the Top Gun Film.

1269397512209.jpgtop-gun-mig-5-012_1200528780.jpg

both images from google images.

And here's the kit. Revell 1/48 F-5E Tiger II - all I need to find is some decals, but I should have something suitable in the stash, or worse case I will print my own.

DSCN0835.jpg

DSCN0836.jpg

Hopefully this build will progress fairly quickly, and I'll keep you up to date.

Rich

I was "keeping up foreign relations"

The remaining Migs are bugging out and going home!

Look forwards to seeing how this one progresses :popcorn:

Interesting box art, would an F-5 get airborne carrying that load? :rolleyes:

Shaun

Edited by Shaun

It makes me laugh every time I see the two canopies facing eachother, taking no account whatsoever of the two tail fins... don't ya just love Hollywood? :mental:

And here's the kit. Revell 1/48 F-5E Tiger II - all I need to find is some decals, but I should have something suitable in the stash, or worse case I will print my own.

Hi!

I don't know if this will help you, but I have the 1/72nd decals from Testors. I can scan them in a high definition and send by e-mail for you. The same for painting instructions.

Best!

Paul.

Edited by Paul - Brazil

Hi!

I don't know if this will help you, but I have the 1/72nd decals from Testors. I can scan them in a high definition and send by e-mail for you. The same for painting instructions.

Best!

Paul.

Hi Paul

I appreciate that. A scan would be brilliant. I will PM you e-mail address.

Rich

Cool subject, ties in nicely with the F-14 GB!

Couldn't agree more although I think the numbers are definitely stacked against the Mig this time round.

Welcome to the build Bomber and as everyone else has said I am also looking forward to seeing the "Mig 28" take shape

Cheers

Graham

It makes me laugh every time I see the two canopies facing eachother, taking no account whatsoever of the two tail fins... don't ya just love Hollywood? :mental:

Ah - you're forgetting just how short Tom Cruise is. He was able to fly a 1:2 scale F-14, so all he had to do was balance his vertical stabilisers on the dorsal fuselage of the MiG to achieve the desired safety margin. Easy. B)

Ive got bogies all over me - tee hee…really looking forward to seeing this one come together Rich - are you going to glue an upside down Tomcat to it :D

Ummm now you mention it I think I have a battered F-14 that I build as a kid, sitting up in the loft, may have to dig it out and have some fun "It's the bottom of the 9th, the score is tied. It's time for the big one" :devil:

Any chance I might be able to see that scan as well. I've got the Revell of Germany F-5F I've been pondering doing the same thing with (especially since the versions I've seen to date have been F-5Es).

"MiG-28s! No one's been this close before!"

Hi

Back in 1987 when i was living in Aberdeen the club i was in the Aberdeen Modellers society made a Video for Aberdeen Cable on how to make a kit we used the Airfix kit of the Mig from Top Gun that was out then.

The vidio was for a number of years the most played video they had at the time, they used it to fill any time slots they had spare, but viewers did ask for it the most out of the videos shot for them by clubs in Aberdeen at the time.

This is what i have been told as i moved back down south just as the video was finished and did not get to see it for a number of years when i meet up with some of the club again and was given a tape, i was one of the Camra men and we used my workshop at my work place as the set which was RGIT Offshore Survile Centre in King st and we all so shot in the modle shop there.

That makes this a double for this as a model from a movie and a model of a model from a movie for tv from an tv program think i got that right !!!!.

Paul

Hi

I have had a bit of a blitz on this kit over the weekend. I was on a roll, so much so that I forgot to photograph the cockpit before it was installed.

So here is the progress so far

DSCN0877.jpg

DSCN0879.jpg

DSCN0878.jpg

There are a few particularly nasty seams that need addressing, and a bit of filling and sanding that needs to take place. Hopefully I can start to get some paint on her by the end of the week.

Just as a comical distraction, I went up into the loft and found an old Revell Tomcat that I must have built about 20 years ago. As was typical of my pre-teen modelling, it was never painted, and the build quality is decidedly shoddy. In this particular case the tails are completely missing, the intakes have fallen off, and the nose section is only holing on to the rest of the plane by some rather stringy looking glue. But it does allow me to do this with it (ignoring the fact that the planes are the wrong way round)

DSCN0883.jpg

No issue with hitting the tails on this tomcat :P

Rich

• 2 weeks later...