1/48 F-14D VX-9 Vampires 'Vandy 1'

Hello all,

Here is my recently finished 1/48 Hasegawa F-14D Tomcat in Vandy 1 guise. Build thread is here:

Aftermarket used included: Aires cockpit, Eagle Designs Bombcat set, master brass pitot tube, Wolfpack update and Fightertown decals.

Probably the most iconic F-14 ever flown! This 164604 was also the last F-14 produced, being delivered in July 1992, and now resides at NAS Oceana as a gate guard.

On to the pictures:

IMG_1828.jpg

IMG_1829.jpg

IMG_1830.jpg

IMG_1833.jpg

IMG_1834.jpg

IMG_1835.jpg

IMG_1837.jpg

IMG_1839.jpg

IMG_1840.jpg

IMG_1841.jpg

IMG_1842.jpg

IMG_1844.jpg

IMG_1846.jpg

IMG_1847.jpg

And most of my F-14's together (along with a few non F-14 kits!)

IMG_1848.jpg

IMG_1849.jpg

Comments welcome,

Thanks for looking.

Dave

Edited by DaveJL

Looks like someone has a Tomcat fetish! But that's a good thing! The Bunny looks nice, I always liked the black scheme.

Cheers,

Bill

Sure do Bill. Been obsessed ever since I saw a demo and a few on the ground at NAS Oceana as a 9 year old back in 1999. Best air show i've ever been to. If i remember righty, it was nearly cancelled due to a Hurricane!

Cheers

Dave

Thanks Kev.

was it a high gloss finish on the real 1?

was overall gloss but heavily weathered as it was a 'workhorse, not a show bird' according to some chaps in the know!

• 2 weeks later...
was it a high gloss finish on the real 1?

Answer -> Vandy 1 Images

A lot depended on whether it was freshly-washed, recently on a cross-country det, or even it was flown for long periods at supersonic speeds (the paint would peel on the nose and some surfaces). It wasn't as high-gloss as a Blue Angels jet, but touchups were regularly applied with gloss black paint. At airshows, it was usually clean and more "shiny" than matt. Just imagine owning a car painted in gloss black and leaving it parked outside. After a few years, it won't be as shiny as it was when new, but the color won't really be matt in appearance. If it's had a few scrapes, it may not have an even level off gloss on all panels. Give it a good cleaning, polishing and waxing, and it'll be much shinier than when it is dirty. Depending on the circumstances, Vandy1 could range from "glossy" to "between glossy and semi-glossy" in appearance. It definitely wasn't matt.

Despite what this image of Vandy is named, it is MY image. (It was posted on the internet without my permission, but there's no way to put the toothpaste back in the tube now.)

Notice how the paint reflects the sky and white runway markings? 15.jpg

For other examples, look for images of gloss black RAF Hawk trainers.

Edited by John B

Answer -> Vandy 1 Images

A lot depended on whether it was freshly-washed, recently on a cross-country det, or even it was flown for long periods at supersonic speeds (the paint would peel on the nose and some surfaces). It wasn't as high-gloss as a Blue Angels jet, but touchups were regularly applied with gloss black paint. At airshows, it was usually clean and more "shiny" than matt. Just imagine owning a car painted in gloss black and leaving it parked outside. After a few years, it won't be as shiny as it was when new, but the color won't really be matt in appearance. If it's had a few scrapes, it may not have an even level off gloss on all panels. Give it a good cleaning, polishing and waxing, and it'll be much shinier than when it is dirty. Depending on the circumstances, Vandy1 could range from "glossy" to "between glossy and semi-glossy" in appearance. It definitely wasn't matt.

Despite what this image of Vandy is named, it is MY image. (It was posted on the internet without my permission, but there's no way to put the toothpaste back in the tube now.)

Notice how the paint reflects the sky and white runway markings? 15.jpg

For other examples, look for images of gloss black RAF Hawk trainers.

glad i avoided the flat black paint then!