1/48 F-14D, VX-9 Vampires 'Vandy 1'

Hello all,

As my 1st build is going well, i decided to put up details of my second entry. Hasegawa again and in 1/48 of course! This one will be a F-14D of VX-9 Vampires based in Point Mugu California.

The kit; courtesy of Joel, (Bandwagon106):

IMG_1497.jpg

The parts:

IMG_1498.jpg

The aftermarket:

IMG_1499.jpg

Aires cockpit (though might swap this for a Black Box example), Fightertown decals, Eagle Designs Bombcat set, Master Pitot tube and Quickboost ejection seats. Will also be ordering a few other odds and sods.

Some of the references:

IMG_1496.jpg

And the jet itself:

PtMugu020.jpg

DSCF0006.jpg

f14-photo-vx9-02l.jpg

(Please note these photos are not mine, they have been kindly provided by Brian from Fightertown decals and i'm using them as reference only)

F-14D BuNo 164604 was the last F-14 made, delivered in July 1992 and served with VX-4 then VX-9 until it was retired in 2004. It is now a gate guard at NAS Oceana. :crying:

Hope to make a start on this in the next few weeks. Love this scheme!

More to follow.

'Freezer'

Edited by DaveJL

I did wonder about loads - since a black bunny is on my hit list I shall watch and learn from this with interest...

I did wonder about loads - since a black bunny is on my hit list I shall watch and learn from this with interest...

I've a few reference photos and information from Brian at Fightertown. I fancy a bit of a mixed bag!

any chance of sending this info in my general direction?

The majority of photos i was sent are on the fightertown decals website. But when i start this build, i'll mail you some of the info i have gathered.

Made a brief start after work this afternoon. Added the wing seal 'bags' and vents to the upper fuselage as well as filing in the defunct hole for one of the antennae:

IMG_1626.jpg

Then moved on and prepped the Aires Cockpit as the build almost revolves around how quickly this goes together! My example was in poor form, the throttle handle was broken off and is now missing and the triangular slide behind the RIO's seat location was also broken. :angrysoapbox.sml: But anyway, i sanded down the casting base, then sanded off the protruding parts on the sides:

IMG_1627.jpg

IMG_1630.jpg

Added the etched dials to the instrument panels:

IMG_1631.jpg

A quick wash later and then i sprayed all the parts grey:

IMG_1635.jpg

That's all. More tomorrow.

I'll leave you with this:

'Freezer'

Shame about the broken triangular frame on the back. I guess you can substitute it for the kit part as the kit part is not that bad.

Shame about the broken triangular frame on the back. I guess you can substitute it for the kit part as the kit part is not that bad.

The broken parts can be repaired as the break was relatively 'clean'. It's the throttle control that is more of an issue! I'd love to have a kind word with the postie that delivered it! :angry:

Up at the crack of dawn this morning so continued with the 'cat. Firstly i assembled a good few of the sub assemblies.

The tail fins:

IMG_1644.jpg

The wings:

IMG_1650.jpg

The beaver tail:

IMG_1651.jpg

Also started painting the cockpit, firstly the instrument panels:

IMG_1652.jpg

As the jet will be shut down and parked up, i painted all the screens gloss black instead of green (as they would be when powered up). Made a repair job in the main tub too. Replaced the broken/missing throttle handle with part of the kits control column. Also fixed the triangular panel at the rear:

IMG_1647.jpg

IMG_1649.jpg

Moved onto adding the gun vents. As with my VF-84 entry, the vent is a rather poor fit:

IMG_1645.jpg

Anyway, i moved onto the fuel tanks:

IMG_1653.jpg

Ordnance:

IMG_1656.jpg

From left to right, 2x GBU-31 JDAM, AIM-9, AIM-54, AIM-7 and ACMI pod. Had planned to maybe add 4 GBU-31's, but i only have two!

While i was doing all this, i was working on the intakes and main fuselage. Managed to get it all together in just over an hour:

IMG_1654.jpg

IMG_1655.jpg

Still a pain in the bottom! As you can see, i was a bit heavy handed with the spraying, and forgot i pierced holes for the tanks so the paint leaked! DOH!!

That's all for today. Next bit will be to completely finish the cockpit.

I'll leave you with this:

More to follow.

'Freezer'

The other bits i ordered for this build arrived from the states today. Wolfpack update set (with very nice GE-110 exhausts) and Steel Beech covered HUD.

IMG_1672.jpg

Found some extra bombracks in the spares too. If anyone has 2x GBU-31's from the Hasegawa weapons set 'D' and could spare them, i would be really grateful!

Hope to crack on with this later in the week.

More to follow.

'Freezer'

More done this afternoon. My main focus today was to finish the cockpit and assemble the front fuselage. In my haste however, i managed to lose one of the sidewalls for the cockpit! turned the palce upside down to find it but no joy. Will have to do without them i'm afraid.

Anyway, the finished cockpit (minus rudder pedals, i like to add these after all the dry fitting)

IMG_1712.jpg

IMG_1713.jpg

IMG_1714.jpg

And installed:

IMG_1719.jpg

IMG_1720.jpg

To get a nice fit, it is essential to dry fit like a madman! One small bit out of place can mess up the whole alignment. It is also essential to sand down the top of the front landing gear bay as far as you dare! I also added the forward sparrow recess:

IMG_1721.jpg

After this, there was a lot of resin to prep. Firstly, the Quickboost seats. Almost identical to the Aires ones that come with the cockpit, i prefer these as they have moulded in seat belts and thus eliminate the fiddly etched straps of the Aires ones.

IMG_1717.jpg

The lovely Wolfpack Designs GE-110 exhausts:

IMG_1716.jpg

Eagle Designs LANTIRN pod:

IMG_1718.jpg

Wolfpack GE-110 exhaust shrouds (still need painted inside)

IMG_1722.jpg

GPS dome added:

IMG_1723.jpg

Beaver tail on:

IMG_1724.jpg

Coming back to the exhaust shrouds, they are a very poor fit:

IMG_1725.jpg

Quite disappointing. Will need a good bit of work to fill those gaps and smooth it all out.

Next up is to finish the forward fuselage, add the nosecone and attach to the main fuselage.

More to follow.

'Freezer'

Edited by DaveJL

A bit more progress. Attached the two halves of the fuselage and let it cure. As i mentioned in my VF-84 build thread, i like to add some filler at the join as i find it easier to clean up, though it is not necessary. The same goes for the nose cone. Just a personal preference.

IMG_1729.jpg

Gun vents added (fairly bad fit, hence the filler)

IMG_1730.jpg

Filler added to the hideous gaps around the exhaust shrouds. Shouldn't be too difficult to clean up.

IMG_1731.jpg

Added the bombracks to the weapons pallets. Vandy 1's pallets were light ghost grey, so i'll paint these separately and add once the black goes on the jet

IMG_1727.jpg

Built up the wing glove plyons:

IMG_1728.jpg

The Eagle Designs LANTIRN adaptor wasn't a perfect fit. I had to trim off maybe 0.2mm off the kit part to get the parts to line up. Nothing major!

Final shot of the jet for this afternoon:

IMG_1733.jpg

Once all the filler is cleaned up and smoothed and a few bits added, it shouldn't be too long in coming together. I was reading through some information i have on Vandy 1 and noted this:

'Vandy one wasn't a show bird, more of a work horse. Some panels were a different colour to the rest of the airframe.'

On that note, i was perhaps thinking of painting the jet all over satin black as opposed to gloss, just to give it that worn look. Adding a few gloss and flat panels here and there. Any thoughts on this idea?

More to follow.

'Freezer'

Edited by DaveJL

Yes, that tomcatwas quite worn, I like the idea of adding panels with different finish. An overall gloss black 1/48 tomcat would also look a bit toylike.

On the other hand it wasn't as worn as say a lancaster, so I would stick with blacks instead of using greys as I'd do on a WWII bomber, letting the different gloss levels do the job