F-14A VF-191 or VF-194

I thought I would choose the lesser known squadrons for my build, here is my start. Not sure whether to go for VF-194 or VF-191 or I may end up doing both. Anyway ready for launch

DSCN0297.jpg

Shot of all the bits

DSCN0298.jpg

As there is no decals for the cockpit I used the ones from an Hasegawa kit, scanned them and printed on photo paper

DSCN0300.jpg

And here is the result, not too bad just a bit of touching up to do. The seats are aftermarket ones.

More to come later.

Robert `Pops'

A (probably) little known and maybe forgotten fact ( an US airman confirmed this with me on ARC a few years ago)- but initially- these two units, along with VF-51 and VF-111, were to become the first units to operate the D cats. This was (just) before the end of the Cold War, and 127 new build Ds and 300+ A conversions were planned. Of course, we only got a few in the end, but there could be some interesting "almost" schemes out there...

Very nice work here Pops, be really nice to see one of these two units.

Mojo

Next installment

DSCN0335.jpg

DSCN0333.jpg

DSCN0332.jpg

DSCN0343.jpg

Cockpit finished and installed

DSCN0340.jpg

On the fairings around the tail pipe made mysylf a jig to mark out the segments then scribed the lines on the fairing. There are a couple of things I need to changed like the ECM fairing near the fuel dump pipe and the vents on the ventral fins.

Robert

Lovely progress in the cockpit Robert. I like your idea for marking where the lines on the aft exhaust fairings will go; very neat solution and should make the job much easier and more precise. I haven't got that far with mine yet and dearly wish I didn't have to.....

Regards,

Andrew.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Sorry for the slow progress. Here are the latest

DSCN0386.jpg

Fuselage now together

DSCN0347.jpg

The rear end with the fuel dump and added ecm fairing

DSCN0384.jpg

DSCN0383.jpg

The tail fins, wings and stabs are completed apart for minor detail to paint.

As you can see it is VF-194 as the diamonds for VF-191 on the fin do not fit the Hobbyboss kit.

Robert

You might think it's slow, but great progress all the same Robert. You've even got decals on!

Nice work on the addition to the ECM bump to the tail fairing; it's a shortcoming of the kit that more options aren't presented. Pity also about the diamonds not fitting, but the VF-194 markings look really good. It makes me think of a stalled F-8J Crusader for some reason.....

Keep up the great work.

Cheers,

Andrew.

Latest installment.

DSCN0390.jpg

DSCN0389.jpg

DSCN0388.jpg

DSCN0387.jpg

Undercarriage compleyted and weathered.

DSCN0401.jpg

DSCN0404.jpg

DSCN0397.jpg

DSCN0391.jpg

Fuselage painted and decals about to be applied. Pretty pleased how the cockpit turned out.

Robert