Hasegawa Su-33

I have finally finished the Hasegawa Su-33 Flanker :-

I'm not too happy with the colours - It was one of those builds where everything went wrong and I got fed up with in the end......

Flankers%20148.JPG

Still, it's finished now - I have lowered the flaps and scratch-built the Sorbtsiya ECM pods on the wingtips.

I am going to pose it on deck, about to launch......

Flankers%20149.JPG

Flankers%20150.JPG

Close up showing the dodgy canopy shape......

Flankers%20151.JPG

Flankers%20152.JPG

Flankers%20153.JPG

The Aires nozzles are a big improvement over the kit items...

Flankers%20154.JPG

Ken

• Like 1

That looks great! Flanker colours do seem to be hard to replicate, don't they? I have the Xtracolour enamel set, but I've got a feeling the Su-33 has a different paint job to the Su-27?

I've seen a picture, albeit not a very good one, of a pretty weatherbeaten Su-33 on the deck of the Kuznetsov. The paint around the wing/fuselage join appeared to be worn back to natural metal. That's how I'd like to finish mine, but I can't find any more pictures.

Nice looking Flanker, i like the colours, its nice to get to the end of a build that try s your patience, im having one of those with my airfix harrier, you feel sometimes you cant be bothered! But it looks worth the effort in the end

That looks great! Flanker colours do seem to be hard to replicate, don't they? I have the Xtracolour enamel set, but I've got a feeling the Su-33 has a different paint job to the Su-27?

I've seen a picture, albeit not a very good one, of a pretty weatherbeaten Su-33 on the deck of the Kuznetsov. The paint around the wing/fuselage join appeared to be worn back to natural metal. That's how I'd like to finish mine, but I can't find any more pictures.

Paul,

The Xtracolor Flankers colours were apparently matched to those applied to the Russian Knights prior to their visit to the UK in the 1990's - so are not appropriate to a 'standard' Su-27 in squadron service.

On the early cruises on Kuznetsov, the Su-33's wore a very dark 'sea' scheme - which the AKAN Su-33 paint set matches, IMHO.

A Google search for 'Su-33' will yield a load of photos - in various schemes, old and new.

The Su-33's have recently been upgraded - and now wear a much light colour scheme - which I have tried to match on my model - but not very sucessfully.

My walkround pics of a Su-33 are here - but note that this is an un-upgraded Sukhoi demonstrator machine, so is not really representative of an operational aircraft.

There are some great walkround pics by Vladimir Nazarov of the current paint scheme on Scalemodels.ru here

Ken

• 5 months later...