* Bf.109E-4, Oblt.Walter Oesau, 3/JG51: FINISHED

PetrOs

After I planned building the Academy's Bf 109D-1 from III/NJG1 and Hasegawa's E-4 with the Techmod decals for Oblt.Walter Oesau, 3/JG51, I got an idea to make a comparative build of all 3 popular Bf.109 toolings. So I fetched Tamiya's Bf.109 E-4/7 Trop, which will be built as a Hans "Assi" Hahn's aircraft using the Hasegawa's decals. I still dont know if I will do it as III/JG2 or I/JG3 aircraft.

I will be building all 3 Bf.109's in parallel, and commenting my experiences. Stay tuned!

Edited by PetrOs

This is Bavarian Radio, and we have a direct report from the Messerschmitt works here in Munich!

The construction of a pair of Bf.109 E-4 fighters started yesterday, when the Bf.109D-1 was rolled out. One on the left is Tamiya, one on the right is Hasegawa. I have taken the photos before sanding.

Experience so far: Tamiya is fantastic. I guess no filler will be needed while sanding at all. Well detailed cockpit, using fuselage halves as the walls, and a number of attach-on-the-wall parts. Fine decals for the dashboard. . The only drawback - seatbelts are decals. As I go for quite strictly OOB builds, it is not very fine.

See the build of Hasegawa's E-4 in the nearby thread.

Here are the photos:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

I did some work on both my Messerschmitts today, and decided to "swap" the paint schemes planned. Now the Tamiya one is painted to be the Walter Oesau's mount, and the Hasegawa's will be finished with the Hans von Hahn decals from the box.

Anyways, I have masked the cockpits with the Techmod's masks. These fit ideally on the Hasegawa's cockpit, but not as good on the Tamiya ones, so some tape was used, too. Preshading was done with Tamiya black. I sprayed the yellow areas with Gunze's RLM 04, and masked them off. Then the aircraft was given a layer of Modelmaster RLM65. More masking, this time Modelmaster RLM02. Then even more, and Modelmaster's RLM71. Hahn's aircraft was then given RLM 02 mottling. Then the masks were removed except @ the cockpit.

Here are the results (Tamiya)

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Looks good Petros, I'll be interested to see how that RLM 04 looks after it's been given a final flat coat.

Keep the updates coming.

Cheers

So, as usual, I used the breaks in work (working at home on PC, IT consultant/software developer..) I applied the "main" decals to the duo. Also I assembled the undercarriages.Wheels are just stuck on to protect the wheel covers until the True Details resin would arrive. Oesau's aircraft is the "white 13".

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Later during the evening I completely stencilled the Oesau's aircraft;

9.jpg

10.jpg

As it goes, only little job is remaining there, mainly weathering. I hope to finish this birdie tomorrow.

So, the final update!

It is done except the wheels. I have ordered 3 sets of True Details weighted wheels, but these are still not here. So the oringal ones are on, unpainted.

Today i gave the aircraft the washing, some detail painting, added missing small parts, installed sight, corrected the paint underruns on the canopy, gave it some pigment treatment, sprayed 4 layers of the Gunze Clear Matte, and added the antenna from the 0.2mm hard steel wire.

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

• 3 months later...