* Fake Me109 : FINISHED.

Hello all, just thought I'd throw my hat into the ring with this Academy kit:

buchon.jpg

It's the model of aircraft used in the BoB film to portray the German 109s, and I'm going to attempt to complete it as the machine flown by this chap in the squadron takeoff scene early in the film:

film1.jpg

The main reasoning behind this was that I'd got a black chevron decal with the kit, but just about all the other planes used had numbers on the fuselage:

film2.jpg

They're the black outlined type of numbers too, which is beyond my ability to create on the inkjet printer, otherwise I'd have gone for one of the yellow spinner planes. I'll have a go at the unit badge myself though, and also the swastikas for the tail as the kit doesn't have any! Any other airframe would necessitate me spending about £20 on various decals at Hannants...

At first glance, it looks like a bit of work is going to be necessary with this kit. Apart from the aforementioned decal problems, the spinner hasn't got a hole in it, the wingtips will need to be squared off (as the rounded wingtips were removed on the film aircraft to make them distinguishable from the Good Guys), there are no braces for under the horizontal stabilisers, and the fake cannon muzzles on the cowling will need to be scratchbuilt:

film3.jpg

Still, that's what it's all about, eh?

This build is no disrespect to The Few, but I've already built BoB Hurricanes, Spits and 109s, and nobody else seems to be doing a plane from the film, so I thought I'd have a go. Don't hold your breath for this one though - I've got to finish my Lightning first!

Back soon,

Dean

Your movie 109 will be cool..good choice..!

Cheers,

ggc

• 2 weeks later...

Dean,

Just be aware that Paul Neuhaus, aka Maj. Föhn in the film, is climbing into one of the three bladed propeller, airframes and you will have to convert the kit part.

There is a Battle of Britain boxing of the Academy Buchon, where you get the false guns for the upper cowling, clipped wing tips, tailplane supports and all the numbers and badges for the units in the film.

Dean,

Just be aware that Paul Neuhaus, aka Maj. Föhn in the film, is climbing into one of the three bladed propeller, airframes and you will have to convert the kit part.

There is a Battle of Britain boxing of the Academy Buchon, where you get the false guns for the upper cowling, clipped wing tips, tailplane supports and all the numbers and badges for the units in the film.

Thanks, yes I was aware of that. I've just spent an hour rectifying that propellor by scrounging through the spares box until I found a three bladed prop and a spinner. The spinner was from a Hurricane, and after lengthening it with a couple of laminations of plastic card it's just the right diameter to fit the 1112's backplate. The shape of the prop blades was carved to a closer likeness of the Buchon's fan, and the tips squared off. Don't know where the prop came from originally, but it's exactly the same diameter as the kit prop...

As for the BoB boxing, I'm aware of that too, and as Smiffy is building that very version, he's kindly sent me the unit badges I need for my red nosed version... Cheers Paul!

Strangely enough, the kit I have DOES contain the tailplane supports - but it makes no mention of them in the instructions. Strange. As for the wingtips and the cowling guns, they should be easy enough to scratchbuild.

Anyway, I'm underway now. Pictures soon.

Cheers,

Dean

Right then, we're off. First up the obligatory sprue shot - looks basic enough:

progress0.jpg

I'm in two minds about the canopy on this build - after my recent Lightning, my detailing glands are worn out so I'm doing this almost out of the box, and considering a closed canopy. The cockpit is pretty basic, and doesn't even include a seat! The poor old pilot had to sit in a bucket according to Academy, so I retrieved a spare 109 seat from a Tamiya build I did a few years ago and used the Tamiya kit decal. Looks like closed canopy is edging into the lead:

progress3.jpg

Fuselage closed up, there's not much to be seen anyway:

progress2.jpg

The propellor and spinner has been replaced with spares, although the backplate is the kit part as it needs to blend in with the forward fuselage. Took a while to get the spinner to fit. Kit parts in the background:

progress1.jpg

I had an intriguing idea while doing the prop - in the film, the aircraft markings were swapped for each flight, to make the planes appear more numerous, and sometimes the same plane carried different markings on each side. I could do Major Fohn's red nosed plane as planned on the left hand side, and use yellow codes on the right hand side. Then, by simply swapping the spinner/prop over, I'd be able to portray two different aircraft from two different squadrons on two different sides of the same airframe. Got to get the numbers of this GB up to 56 somehow! If only I had some yellow code numbers...

Back soon,

Dean

Dean: Nice progress on your movie 109...I like the idea of different codes on each side..

Cheers,

ggc

A bit of progress, folks. The basic airframe is together and the seams have been dealt with over an hour's industrious sanding. Not a great fit around the radiator intake or the underside of the wing/fuselage, but a bit of filling and elbow grease sorted it out. Just some rescribing to do now. Note the squared off wingtips:

progress4.jpg

I've also drilled out the exhaust pipes and painted and weathered them. It doesn't show up too well on the pictures, but there are six different colours used on these things:

progress5.jpg

And finally the converted three bladed prop and spinner, painted up and ready to go. In profile it matches the film version better than this view shows:

progress6.jpg

If anybody has any spare Luftwaffe yellow codes to help out with my plan for different markings/different sides, I'd love to hear from you. I won't bother painting my four bladed spinner yellow yet - might end up doing the right hand side with the red numbers Smiffy was kind enough to send me, in which case I'll keep the red spinner on.

The canopy parts have been dipped in Klear, so masking that off will allow me to get on with painting - my favourite bit!

Cheers,

Dean

Right, more progress. I've got some paint on it now, and the Blu-Tak masking method comes into its own. I studied the film stills to get an idea of the camo pattern and came to the conclusion that the film makers used a facsimile of the 109's splinter pattern but without the hard edges. Probably the props men were spraying in a hurry, as the pattern does look a bit loose and rough edged in places. Perfect for not having to worry about the paint job on the model too much! The photo makes the colours look lighter than they are, by the way.

In other news, I decided that the seat with the decal seat belts was too naff, and as I found a set of PE seatbelts in the spares box I've decided to use those. This evening the airframe might get a coat of Klear ready for decalling. Then I just need to wait for the swastikas I ordered to turn up in the post. Still hoping some kind soul will offer to donate yellow codes for the different side/different codes idea... :winkgrin:

Here it is as it stands this evening:

progress7.jpg

Keep watching,

Dean

Dean: Looking good...I'm going to have to veiw the BoB movie again... :winkgrin:

Cheers,

ggc

Looking good already Dean :thumbsup: Is it my imagination, or do the exhaust bulges on the kit look a little too fat & sculpted compared to the ones on the movie stills? :hmmm:

Looking good already Dean :thumbsup: Is it my imagination, or do the exhaust bulges on the kit look a little too fat & sculpted compared to the ones on the movie stills? :hmmm:

You're quite right Mike, I'd noticed it myself, but as they fitted the cowling contours I didn't fancy trying to reshape them. Another difference is with the exhaust pipes. The kit parts are circular in cross section whereas the ones on the film are much squarer and 109ish, but there wasn't much I could do about them, either. The way I'm looking at it is that it's a model of a film prop of a real aeroplane...discrepancies are bound to creep in!

And Azgaron - thanks for looking for those decals!

Cheers,

Dean

You're quite right Mike, I'd noticed it myself, but as they fitted the cowling contours I didn't fancy trying to reshape them. Another difference is with the exhaust pipes. The kit parts are circular in cross section whereas the ones on the film are much squarer and 109ish, but there wasn't much I could do about them, either. The way I'm looking at it is that it's a model of a film prop of a real aeroplane...discrepancies are bound to creep in!

Yeah - could be a little tricky to make right :S

Actually, I reckon the exhaust stacks aren't far out if you look at the pic below:

film2.jpg

They look pretty round to me :)

You're right again Mike! I was looking at the closeup picture of the nose, and the grey exhaust staining pattern gave me the impression that they were squarer than the other picture suggests. in my defence, it was late and I was tired... ;)

Anyway, the Klear went on last night, so hopefully some decals will today too.

Cheers,

Dean

You're right again Mike! I was looking at the closeup picture of the nose, and the grey exhaust staining pattern gave me the impression that they were squarer than the other picture suggests. in my defence, it was late and I was tired... ;)

Yes, I saw that pic too, and guessed you were looking at that one. Right twice in succession... I'd better shut up now, while I'm ahead! :lol:

More progress today. I got the Klear on last night so this morning I was able to start decalling. Unfortunately, studying the film stills showed that the wing and fuselage crosses were a different design to the ones in the Academy kit. The kit decals had a broad black outline to the thin white sections, whereas the film ones had a broad white section with a narrow black outline. I had to get some Tamiya decals out of the spares box and trim them into a reasonable facsimile of the ones in the film. I used some Academy decals, and I think they're going to show silvering when the matt coat goes on - horrible to work with. The unit badge went on under the cockpit without problems - thanks again Paul!

I did a panel line wash, but the engraved lines were so fine and shallow that they didn't take a wash well, but as the film shows these airframes to be pretty clean, I'm not bothered. There isn't even any exhaust residue visible in the scene I'm using as reference!

Here's how things stand tonight:

progress8.jpg

Just waiting on swastikas now, before the fiddly bits, final assembly and matt coat. Shouldn't be far off finishing, really.

Cheers,

Dean

Smashing progress... I hate people that build quickly AND well! :lol:

What size & styelee Swastikas are you waiting on & from whom? I've got a big sheet of them from Hannants & could probably spare you a few ;)