All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Finishing work on the guns. First, I completed the ready use racks for the wing 6 pdrs. These sit inside the breakwater wings forward of the capstan bars Than I completed the assembly of the 12 pdr cradle and barrel. This turned out harder than I expected as the gun shield support bars clashed with the sight support, so a new solution had to be found and made, worked ok in the end. Apart from that and the double curvature of the breach shield (added from the etch sheet), it was very straightforward, love those castings Here is the completed gun on its mount with 10 solid shot shells in the ready use rack And sitting on its platform, now painted but not yet fixed in place. Note the canvas awning hooks added to the wing shield and from above, anchor bed cranes also fitted and that weird steering platform the small wheel. This picture includes two of the 6 open hatches, each with its own short ladder into the dark (which you can't see in that shot, sorry) I'm really debating in my mind the colour of the handrails and stanchions. The off-white I've used doesn't look right compared to the pictures. Take a look at these guys in their duffel coats on a 36-knotter TBD (HMS Sturgeon 1897. This ship is not Spithead Review, looks in use trim That's not white, but it's also not black, compare to the hatch. So, I'm thinking it may be the pale grey I've applied to the turtleback (and the back of the gun shields), thoughts anyone? Meanwhile, here are the full crew of Sturgeon credits to the Dreadnaught project, deck pictures are so rare Cheers Steve
  3. Can we dial back the insulting comments on the sprues please? They're a limited run company that makes some unusual subjects that you've already noted aren't produced by others, so if you go into it with your eyes wide open, it shouldn't be an issue. I've just finished building their Messerschmitt P.1101 in 1:48, and although it wasn't shake-and-bake, it was a fun and interesting model. It depends what you want out of your hobby. If you just want to cut parts from a sprue and put it together without any other activity, then you know what to do - Pray that a company creates your niche model without regard for its cost or likelihood of selling enough to make them a profit. If you don't mind a bit of part-cleaning and fettling in the pursuit of a model that you will probably not find made by another company, then have at it
  4. I've got one of those tucked away and an Aoshima GPZ900r to build at some point, maybe I've always been into bikes and still own a couple of older full size ones gathering dust in the garage, but I've never enjoyed building bike kits for some reason 🤔 Maybe beacuse of the reasons you've said, that they are bloody awkward, but at the end of the day it's still an iconic shape bike, well done Ian
  5. Considering the scale, you've made a good job of this. Even the figures. Nice work. John.
  6. Thank you to all for your advice. I should add that I am not aiming for a perfect finish, I don't think it's realistic for me, so I try not to be too upset when the finish is not any way near as good as experienced car modellers do achieve. It's the same with NMF aircraft, I have lowered my standards, as I hate doing the same things over and over again, sanding, priming, polishing etc. In my case I get most satisfaction from the finished model, so I don't want to spend too much time chasing perfection.
  7. I only build 1/48 scale kits but Supermodel kits are not that bad at all and from what I know they are quite accurate.The Italeri 1/72 Fiat Cr32 and Aermacchi MB326 are the Supermodel kits. Saluti Giampiero
  8. They're called cloches, IIRC, and you should hoover 'em before use as they're just as susceptible to dust as our finished models are
  9. @Bullbasket Thanks for your comment. Encouragement much appreciated.
  10. Does that mean that he's wearing budgie smugglers?? The aiming device looks really good echen. In keeping with the rest of the build. Nice work. John.
  11. A regrettable glitch of the SatNav/GPS... 😀 https://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/Visit/Museum-Exhibits/Fact-Sheets/Display/Article/196377/the-story-of-the-mig-15bis-on-display/
  12. Another spot of the album: 1982 in Waterville, Ireland.
  13. Thanks @senux. I thought about doing the Tiger GB going on here but not sure I can do another one. I’m burnt out On the Tiger. Although......
  14. Source: https://www.facebook.com/ibgmodels/posts/pfbid0X6XKn3k2Asck8cEJBmxktDauboCKJ1TXpgbcdtuAjwtt9tymQ5EzuP4Hycg7W8Dql V.P.
  15. Ahh the well known American MIG fighter! Selwyn
  16. Go to a kitchen store and buy a colander big enough to keep the birds and bees away. Air will still get through to allow the paint to cure. For finer particles, the same store will sell you a similar product meant to keep flies away from food. They are usually plastic mesh on a wire or plastic frame. Don't forsake the indoors. Bathrooms have higher humidity, therefore less dust. If all else fails you can get a good vacuum cleaner. If you can't run from the environment perhaps you can tame it.
  17. Progress. The Commander can now aim the main gun from his cupola and the loader has somewhere to safely park his budgie when it wants some fresh air outside the turret. Front headlights and revised brush guards now fitted. Easier said than done though! The gunsight is a bit wonky and I tried to straighten it - unsuccessfully. I fitted the brush-guards then couldn't get the headlights to stick in place. I had to remove a brush-guard each side, fit the lights then replace the brush-guard. Got there in the end though! Just a couple of microscopic PE catch levers for the front hatches and a three-piece antenna support (Yes three pieces!!!) to fit and there's some rear shackles to be fitted but I've put them somewhere really safe at the moment. Thanks for looking in and sorry this is taking so long. I only have two speeds and if this one upsets you you really won't like the other one..........................
  18. Best give @Ed Russell a prod then ,you are far nearer to him than I am. Martian 👽
  19. You're doing an amazing job on Joe Dredd! I have a copy of this figure, but haven't got anywhere near starting him. It's a real shame that the TV series is not going to happen now - they could have gone down some very interesting avenues (like Judge Death and his buddies....). Thanks for sharing with us. Chris.
  20. Gerard is that 'cos its small and can fit on a shelf unlike your (nice) V bomber? 😀 I've had a 1/72 B-52 in stash for 25+years because there is nowhere in the house SWMBO would accept it. Chris
  1. Load more activity