This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Thanks Andy, looking forward seeing your book published. As the markings are to some degree speculative, this scheme is no longer an option as I only build aircraft of which I can locate some pictorial evidence. Cheers, Peter
  3. Looks great. I love the pictures that show them en-masse. They look like something out of Flash Gordon! There's an example here. Regards, Adrian
  4. Battle of Britain pilot Maurice Mounsdon dies aged 101 BBC report here https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-50710808 Clear skies and clouds to play with Sir RIP
  5. As I've mentioned elsewhere, Dave, Wow! Can I ask, where do the plans you referenced originate from?
  6. found floating at sea
  7. I would agree that the Celeste used on many propellers is not related to the Tavola 10, if only for the fact that this colour was in use before the Tavola 10 was issued. Unfortunately til now I've not found any clear description of the colour, apart from being mentioned in the manual for the Ba.65, where a specific "celeste" color for propellers is quoted as final finish for this part. It should be said that there is the possibility that some propellers were painted in what later became the Tavola 10 Grigio Azzurro Chiaro 1, as this colour seems to have been around before the introduction of the official document. At the same time it's clear that none of the propellers shown in the pictures above is in this colour. The CR.42 in particular shows a very different colour
  8. Looking lovely. Plumber's tape is great stuff. Regards, Adrian
  9. Looks like I will be gluing this to the stand, otherwise it would have required nose weights.
  10. I hope that she's the only one that you have, otherwise the others are going to feel a bit miffed! John.
  11. I've got a Lenovo laptop and several of the keys had had the letters/characters wiped through much use. Also some had to be hit really hard just to make them work, so i bought a (new) replacement key board from Amazon for £16, post free. It was the easiest thing in the world to remove the old one and fit the new one. John.
  12. There is more than one way to get to a PR.IV and in the end it's down to preferences. Personally I would start from a Mk.I/V, as all the structural components would be there. I prefer to fill and rescribe the panel lines of a Mk.I/V rather than recreate the radiator area and the modify the fuselage of a Mk.XIX. Now, Mk.I or Mk.V ? A Mk.V would already have the proper larger oil radiator, a Mk.I will likely include the correct tubulat exhaust. As both parts can also be found in resin from several manufacturers, it's not a big deal. If choosing a Mk.V, it must be one with the externally armoured windscreen, as the contour of the PR windscreen is the same. The later internally armoured windscreen has a different shape at the bottom. Another thing to keep in mind is the propeller: if you use a Mk.V, make sure that the kit offers the Dh propeller, the PR variants did not use the Rotol... but IIRC all 1/48 kits have both propellers. The Pavla set will suppy the two most difficult thing to scratchbuild: the deeper chin and the clear parts, with a few other useful bits like the rear tank and the bilsters for the fuel pumps. As Troy said, the canopies can also come from Falcon. Pavla issued two similar sets, one for the Tamiya kit (older tool) and one for the Airfix one, check that you are buying the set for the kit you have as parts like the canipies may not fit the other kit (I know they don't fit in the 1/72 kits, not sure about 1/48 but better play safe).
  13. Apache ZJ190, heading west. I think I'm directly under the Wattisham-Middle Wallop flightpath, so it's unusual not to have an Apache or Chinook over at some point in the day.
  14. It was a massive feat of engineering, and really bonkers. The logistics of this aircraft were crazy. You really have to wonder where the Hughes Aircraft Company thought this would be used? I went to see this when it was in a hanger in San Diego, the wings are massive, but it's also the size of the fuselage.
  15. For anybody interested, I have put together a thread detailing this build here. Dave
  16. Here’s another example, on an Re.2000. MRP offers this somewhat darker Reggiane version in their line of paints. This image is from the excellent book “Wings of Italy,” a great compilation of WW2 color photos of Italian aircraft.
  17. The colour instruction sheet of disruptive diagrams is mostly inaccurate. The side views generally conform to the 1943 issued painting diagram. However the remaining views are pure fiction, evidently in the erronious belief that these patterns were made up by individuals each with a tin of paint. These far eastern companies have no real idea about British camouflage.
  18. No idea but that's fantastic. I hope you get an answer. Thanks for posting. Mark
  19. Because on modern Russian law all found in earth & water military objects it's military trophy and his owner MoD Russia.In the nineties there was a mess with the legislation, more details could be read in Russian from the link that I gave. But since not everyone can use Google translator, I’ll probably give excerpts here. "As searched for "Brewster". In 1992, Heimo Lumpy, an as-fighter flying on a Brewster, learned that the American National Maritime Aviation Museum would like to receive a Brewster aircraft in its collection. Lumpy recalled two planes that drowned slightly damaged in the Soviet Union: one in the sea, the other in the lake. Together with his friend Vic Zaragon and daughter Marya Lampi, he decided to create a team to try to find and remove one of these fighters from Russia. They managed to find a sponsor - American Marvin Cottman. He was the head of Turbines Ltd, he had good connections with the US Navy and the museum. Cottman, in turn, entrusted the management of search operations to his subordinate Gary Williard. At first, it was decided to search for the BW-388 aircraft in the Gulf of Finland by the pilot Jouko Lill, as the place of the fall into the water was known from the words of the diver Timo Nyman. However, legally, all ships and aircraft sunk in the Gulf of Finland belonged to the Baltic Memory association, so it was very difficult to take out the Brewster if it was discovered. At this time, St. Petersburg search engine Vladimir Prytkov from the organization Petro-Avia joined Williard and Lampi. To avoid any problems, Kottman decided to buy the plane from the rightful owner, and only after that transfer it to the museum in Pensacola. In 1994, Prytkov and Kottman decided among themselves all financial and organizational issues, after which it was decided to proceed with the search for an aircraft in Karelia. Over the next couple of years, Prytkov and Lumpy worked in the archive, trying to figure out the exact place where the Brewster BW-372 fell. After that, searches were conducted at the site of the alleged crash. In 1996, Williard announced to Cottman that he would continue the project without Cottman. And their relationship broke. However, Cottman still received the fax, according to which Williard informed Cottman that if the plane was found, he would return the money spent during the search, Cottman, and reimburse the cost of tools and other accessories. In June 1998, a diver Timo Nyuman finally discovered a fighter lying at the bottom of Greater Kaliarvi. At the end of July, Williard arrived in Petersburg and showed Prytkov a video of underwater filming made by Timo Nyuman. Nyuman himself arrived in Petersburg along with lawyer Tero Erme. Williard said that in Moscow he has acquaintances in the Aviazapchasti association, which can help in obtaining permits for the raising and removal of aircraft. But they did not receive real help, but rather secured themselves huge problems in the future. The rise began in August, partly for the money received by Williard from the American Charles Hein, partly due to Prytkov. The team included divers from Sosnovy Bor - members of the club named Katran. One of the divers was an engineer and made the necessary calculations for the reliability of the aircraft. As a result, a mixed US-Finno-Russian group of 17 people arrived in Kalijärvi. The language barrier and misunderstanding became real problems during the work. In addition, Nyuman thought that he was still working for Cottman, and Willard was just an intermediary. Prytkov asked Nyuman to take him ashore and show the place where the plane sank. At the same time, Prytkov took an ax with him. No knows what flashed in Nyuman’s head, but he decided to get out of harm's way, because according to the ancient Finnish tradition he completely did not trust the Russians. He transmitted information about the aircraft through Termo Erme, and drove home, dropping into the village of Padany along the way and informing the local precinct about a suspicious Russian with an ax. The district police officer and the head of the local village council went to the lake, but did not find anything suspicious, however, information about the ongoing work on raising the aircraft began to spread rapidly. The plane sank in Greater Kaliyarvi at a 15-meter depth in a depression in the middle of the lake. The underwater environment was ideal for maintaining the machine. A 56-year-old fighter lying on the bottom of the lake completely plunged into the sludge, this slowed down the corrosion process, but became an obstacle when climbing, making it difficult to separate from the bottom. It was dark in the water and the movement in the mud porridge was very difficult for divers, it took a lot of strength. Working conditions were like hell, the only difference was that at the bottom of the lake it was very cold. Russian divers worked in 8-degree water, rising to the surface only when they were blue from the cold. Tina was first dug up with snow shovels, and then the plane was cleaned with a strong stream of water. Divers worked during the day. At night, when they had rest, the dirt settled on the plane and in the morning they had to clean it with shovels again. Finally, divers managed to get wide lifting straps under the plane. These works took about two weeks. Gary Williard did not understand in what environment the work was going on and asked a friend-diver from Florida to rent an airplane for an underwater video camera. This friend also did not foresee the circumstances of the matter, the divers returned from the lake completely calm, and he did not understand the language they speak. Billiard's friend, a Florida diver, was terribly shocked when he found himself in a frosty, dark jelly of mud and mud. Half-dead he came to the surface of the lake with the words: "Cold, dark and terrible!". At the same time, Prytkov tried to resolve legal issues, turned to the mayor of Segezha, but he refused to take any responsibility on this issue. Then Prytkov turned to Petrozavodsk, where they seem to have given the green light. The aircraft began to rise on August 16, 1998. Tractor tires were brought under the plane and inflated. The plane moved two meters from the surface, towards the west coast. A winch has already been installed there. After 56 years, the fighter was again on solid ground. When the plane was on shore, events began to develop not as planned by Williard and Prytkov. By the way, at the time of the rise, the cost of the aircraft was, according to various estimates, from 70 to 150 thousand dollars, but in the USA a plane of this type restored to a flying state would cost 2.5-3 million dollars. That kind of money attracted big problems, and they appeared. The amateurs from the “Aviazapchast(AirParts)” (which had no idea about the peculiarities of restoring American planes), which Williard had recklessly contacted earlier, became interested in the plane. Marvin Kottman also came to Karelia, who still wanted to buy the plane from its rightful owner. It smelled of big money and the government of Karelia also got into the game. Prytkov and Williard were told that the plane belongs to the state. The search engines were simply removed - Prytkov was tied up for illegal possession of weapons and ammunition and kept for several days behind bars, Williard hastened to get out on his own. The team of Prytkov, realizing that it smells like kerosene, drowned the engine from an airplane, which, however, was lifted from the lake a few days later. Kottman offered the Government of Karelia $ 250,000 per plane, but while the issue was being resolved, the guys from the "Aviazapchast" seriously decided to american, who decided to brazenly appropriate the results of someone else's work. Kottman, frightened by the "Russian mafia", also hastened to leave the country. As a result, the aircraft went to the "Aviazapchast" association, but they didn’t know what to do with it later - there was no documentation for the aircraft, work required equipment in an inch scale and several years of painstaking work. Since they do not like investing in prospects, "Aviazapchast" recognized the restoration of the fighter impossible and was quickly sold to a private collector in Ireland. By the way, part of the proceeds of the agreement with the Government of Karelia was transferred to the Ministry of Culture and the Ministry of Social Protection for bicycle seats and special vehicles for veterans; to perpetuate the memory of the dead, the completion of the memorial "Cross of Sorrow" and the improvement of the burial places of soldiers who died during the war. While the question was being decided, who did own the aircraft, conservation work was not carried out, in the end it turned out that it was not possible to restore it to a flying state. In 2004, Brewster BW-372 from Ireland migrated to the museum in Pensacola, and in 2008 ended up at the Jyväskelä air museum in Finland, to which it formally belonged. Gary Williard wrote the book "Great Buffalo Hunt", Marya Lumpy and Vladimir Prytkov also published "Kadonneen Brewsterin metsästys" and removed the documentary film "Brewster - the pearl of the sky" ("Brewster - taivaan helmi"). At the moment, "Brewster Buffalo BW-372" - the only surviving fighter of this type in the world." from comment to this text: "...and then Muscovites in Petrozavodsk opened an entertainment center with a country base for this money" B.R. Serge P.S. In the 1990s, from Russia was about 50 (or even 100 I don’t remember, I’ll find a placard) planes of the 2WW period were taken out. Much if not everything was exported according to illegal and criminal schemes.
  20. P2717 was coded UP-O. This comes from my copy of Sergeant Leslie Ralls' log book where he recorded serials and individual letters.
  21. ^Just forwarded that to a friend who works in the local Diocese office. She's not religious, but with all the Bishops and Archdeacons she has to deal with..............
  22. 9 DECEMBER 1992 STS-53 landing Crew: David Walker (CDR); Robert Cabana (P); Guy Bluford, James Voss, Rich Clifford (MS) Landing site: Edwards AFB This was a classified DoD mission and as usual only the basic details are known, though several scientific experiments were conducted, including one to measure any changes in the eye's visual capability in microgravity. Flight time was 7d 7h 20m and 116 orbits.
  1. Load more activity