This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. The '70's version was much better than the awful 're-imagining' of a few years ago, which the makers decided would work much better as an action series. It didn't. I first travelled abroad in 1976, never had my passport stamped, possibly because it was only within the EU (or whatever it was called in those days). I wonder if passports will be stamped after Jan 31st?
  3. Here is my Heller Saab J29 E Tunnan in 1/72. It is apparently in the markings of F4 wing and entered service in around 1954/5, Although it is about 40 years old it went together pretty well except for a slight fit problem around the nose and some rather reluctant decals. I am not too good at NMF and ended up using a brush - anybody with more skill with an airbrush could probably do somewhat better. It is a nice quick build and apparently quite accurate so I can recommend it if you want a cheap J29. The kit also offers markings for a late J29 C recce plane in UN service in the Congo complete with alternate camera nose. Cheers Pete,
  4. Excellent build of the Esci oldie.
  5. No but there is the extreme likelihood that Danish Pastries will be consumed during the build, in order to get into the right mindset. Thanks, it should be fun. I hope so as I need some light relief from trying to sort my Father's affairs out. I will go barking mad otherwise! Wibble
  6. Gidday Grizly, very nicely done, but way out of my league. Like Stealthman above, I never knew about the roundel on "A" turret. And as I wish to do a 'Hood May 1941' in the future it's tips like this that are handy to know. Thanks. Regards, Jeff.
  7. On the emblem, there should be a red devil on a yellow / orange background
  8. I'm most certainly with you on that one Pete! Their kind help along with the encouragement of the GB Hosts is what's setting this up to be a fantastic group build to be part of. I'll have to check out the Lansen Walkaround now that you've mentioned it. Cheers.. Dave
  9. Beautiful build and finish Martin,great to see a very different scheme on one of these ponies!
  10. Very nice progress with your Iljushin Reini I've been building mine (a Finnish AF Il-28R) since the summer and it has been "challenging" to say the least. The clear parts are the worst I've ever seen. Did the nose glazing in your example require a lot of work? Cheers, Antti
  11. I do but I like the unusual air arms too :).... So, is the Ethiopian a NMF/Silver machine?
  12. Looks great. It captures exactly the way the wavy lines define the blobs. And even more impressive for controlling the size and randomness as well as doing it so neatly. Regards, Adrian
  13. Hi all, Another pony heads out of stable for your delectation. She is, as you can see, adorned in the markings of the Fuerza Aerea Guatemalteca (the Guatemalan Air Force) as she was when operating in the mid-1950s. Specifically she is “FAG 315” (ex- 44-74902) and is reported in some records as being ex-Nicaraguan. She went on to be one of the last Mustangs to operate in Guatemala and was sold in the US in 1974 as N38227. She spent many, many years in a cosy barn on the ranch of Conny Edwards in Texas and eventually was the last of the 1974 purchase to hit the market. This was only relatively recently. I am building her again in later markings, pre-US. Courtesy: Dan Hagerdorn "North American F-51 Mustangs in Latin American Service" The Guatemalans applied a number of different colour and marking schemes to their Mustangs and various photos show FAG 315 in around half a dozen. This one shows a late 1950s scheme with the “FAG” Owl badge alongside. At other times she carried an Aztec marking. Later these badges were dropped. What did I use? 1. Kit – Tamiya P-51D Mustang 1/72 (49), with some F-51D parts added 2. Decals – Aztec “Mayan Gods” set (72-012) 3. Aftermarket/other – only the underwing tanks, which were taken from a HobbyBoss F4U-1 as a cheap way of getting something close to what I needed 4. Paints – Humbrol Enamels – Polished Aluminium (27002), Polished Steel (27003), Matt Black, Insignia Yellow, Interior Green, a mix of Blues (89) and (104) for the tail markings and others Weathering etc, Prismacolor Silver pencil (canopy framing etc) I hope you're not too bored of my Mustngs yet.... Martin
  14. Good afternoon Andre I used the Pavla set with the Airfix Mustang on several occasions the plastic used by Airfix is quite tender and you will be able to cut off the tail easily .. I may try use to use one of Pavla set I still have in mys stash with a Tamiya Kit before the end of this Gb .. All the best Patrice
  15. Transportation of the aircraft can be done if there’s suitable motivation. When the museum at the former Chanute AFB closed a few years back money was found to move most of the exhibits including a rare XB-47, a B-29, and a B-36, all of which had sat outside through Illinois winters for decades. Unfortunately there were no takers for a C-97 and C-133 that were ultimately cut up for scrap.
  16. Why no one is discussing a photo of the new sprue from Airfix Spitfire model: ???? Of course this is a revolution in picking models, but it seems to me that the details in this gate are not entirely accurate! Perhaps a few rivets or panel lines are missing? In addition, it seems to me that red does not correspond to the RAF BS of the 2WW period, maybe this is after WW2 standard? Resource: https://m.facebook.com/officialairfix/photos/a.80699376270/10157751986671271/?type=3&source=48&refid=28&_ft_=qid.6785468775292018242%3Amf_story_key.379088581481729659%3Atop_level_post_id.10157751986671271%3Acontent_owner_id_new.65102591270%3Apage_id.65102591270%3Asrc.22%3Aphoto_id.10157751986671271%3Astory_location.5%3Astory_attachment_style.photo%3Aview_time.1579864308%3Afilter.h_nor%3Apage_insights.{"65102591270"%3A{"page_id"%3A65102591270%2C"actor_id"%3A65102591270%2C"dm"%3A{"isShare"%3A0%2C"originalPostOwnerID"%3A0}%2C"psn"%3A"EntPhotoUploadBatchNodeBasedEdgeStory"%2C"post_context"%3A{"object_fbtype"%3A22%2C"publish_time"%3A1579610708%2C"story_name"%3A"EntPhotoUploadBatchNodeBasedEdgeStory"%2C"story_fbid"%3A[10157751986671271]}%2C"role"%3A1%2C"sl"%3A5%2C"targets"%3A[{"actor_id"%3A65102591270%2C"page_id"%3A65102591270%2C"post_id"%3A10157751986671271%2C"role"%3A1%2C"share_id"%3A0}]}}&__tn__=EH-R B.R. Serge
  17. Thanks for all the really useful links. I think a long period of experimentation will precede any attempt at a seascape.
  18. I'm doing the SMER re-box right now. Very nice little kit that cost next to nothing.
  19. Something like this crossed my mind, but you need to be careful not to cut the tape too deep into plastic Cheers, S.
  20. Excellent photos Mike! Thank you for sharing Now I have a few more good photos for my Hasegawa 1/32 scale Storch project. I knew the guy who owned and operated this Storch (OH-FSA). He carried mail and food for the people living in the SW archipelago. Sometimes he also carried children to the school and back home again! It is easy when you need less space than helicopters do. Storch's home base was at Genböle. On the back yard of the village grocery shop to be more precise! Two weeks ago I spent two days at the Air Force Museum studying mainly three aircraft : Il-28R for my on-going project, MiG-21 F-13 and SAAB Safir for soon-to-start projects. I couldn't resist to make few colour comparisons on the Hurricane while there... Here is the colour chart of the well known "RAF Museum Book" against the original paint. The second oldest Mk. II in the World. After a professional conservation the colour matches the colour chart better than a digital photo can show. I remember looking at the Hurricane some 30+ years ago and wondering why the Dark Green looked silvery grey and not green at all. Another finding shows that the Finnish Olive Green now looks slightly darker and a bit more brownish than NCS S7010-G70Y which I found earlier on other aircraft at Vesivehmaa. It also looks like the original British paint gave a thick layer that peeled off easily. This is clearly visible around rivets especially on the port wing. Cheers, Antti
  21. Mmm... The P-51D "tail" from Pavla arrived yesterday. So now I had to decide what kit I should use the tail with. It is made for Tamiya. But it doesn't look to impossible to use it with the FoV Mustang. And as I have the decals for Lou IV it seems that it will be an yellownosed early P-51D on the workbench... Cheers André
  1. Load more activity