All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Good shout, just checked photos and your right can't see any white in them, I shall take the lumps of kitchen role out of mine and paint them grey/green
  3. OMG, He's back at last! I was worried (again) almost distraught (It's a new word for me so I'm using it as often as I can. (Next week I'll look up the meaning of it). But WOW! what a return. Fabulous printing and pictures thereof. The angst was probably worth it then. Favourite bits are the Torpedo racks. I was going to use the word exquisite but @heloman1 beat me to it. So I'll settle for beautifully detailed. And, WOOF! Many other parts look like pressings and assemblies stolen from the factory floor. They are that good. To sum up, impressive as all Hell. Please keep up the good work. And, Thank you. I hope you and yours are all well. Best wishes from across the water. Pete
  4. Fingers crossed this works!
  5. Simple, but elegant display. Very nice work on the subs. ⚓🙌
  6. It's a shame that this kit requires so much work to get right. Mine has quite a bit of filler in it. I'd have probably finished more than one of them if it didn't. Just a thought, don't paint the intakes white. The camo should extend into them quite far back.
  7. it's really one of my favourites from studio Ghibli since the flying theme is so important along with Porco rosso and the Wind rises. And it was all hand painted and animated frame by frame! ( that's my guess since it's a 1985 film)
  8. That´s all true, but facts aside. I personally prefer the lower hull to be red. ⚓🤔
  9. The revell Victor is not a beginner's kit. It is old, crude and fits poorly. Your idea to buy a cheaper kit to learn with is good, but not all kits are made equal. Big kits don't always translate to more difficult builds. The Airfix Victor is a pretty easy kit to build in my opinion having built three of them. Perhaps it would be a little challenging for a fourth kit, but it's not something you need years of experience to put together. I guess the point is, don't be discouraged if you don't manage with the Revell Victors, the kit is not remotely representative of the quality of more modern kits. Don't be put down if you're not pleased with the results, just have fun, take your time and use these kits as an opportunity to develop important skills.
  10. Long gap between posts, sorry Progress has been slow due to a couple of boat related trips, one a visit to the Brass Foundry (more coming soon) and second a visit to Portsmouth where I was fortunate to coincide with the first pontoon day of the year. This is where Boatshed No 4 gets their collection on the water and visitors get to climb aboard and even take a ride round the harbour. Anyway, I'm struggling with the Berthon collapsible lifeboat. I will write a full post on this interesting sub-project once I get something I'm happy with, meanwhile I've been filling in with deck equipment painting and miscellaneous punch-list items. The first of these was the awning ridge wire stanchions. The rearmost of these three sits aft of the rear 6pdr platform and has a curved frame supporting it Which sits above the Wardroom hatch I also painted the torpedo on its trolly And finally started to fix stuff, the first being the rear gun platform seen here with the first 6 pounder on its conical mount, some of the ready use ammo added until I ran out of 1.3mm thin wall tubing... On the pontoon day visit was a steam pinnace from the 1890's. This mounted a Hotchkiss 3pdr which inspired the colour scheme for the 6 pdrs So, jumping back to guns. The forward 6 pdrs on the photographs do not have gun shields. Here is the rear shoulder frame added to the casting And here are all 3 6 pdrs painted and complete These are little models in their own right, I love them, feel free to zoom in . The white shoulder pad is made from Fimo btw. I should add a lanyard to the trigger..... I also added the second quarter name letters and correctly fixed the props (though they are still removable at the moment). Plus I fixed the rudder (with a 10ba nut) and added the rearmost section of the steering chains to the tiller bar and glued the aft steering position together. I'm also much happier with the wheel painting which I finished with transparent rust wash that finally gave me the deep mahogany colour I was looking for The railings are too white right now, this will be knocked back with a wash later The next section of the steering gear is a chain attached to a running block that anchors to that rear fairlead and runs forward via a rod to the forward pulleys. Will be a fun challenge of the tiny type So, nothing dramatic, just steady bits a pieces while I consider plan C (or is it D?) for the Berthon Cheers Steve
  11. I'm planning a British Navy Phantom soon for a large project so count me in.
  12. Evening All, Thanks Adrian and James for your kind comments - my apologies for the long delay in posting but I had to spent quite a lot of time making new Bleriot XXIII's for the Gordon Bennett project. Progress on the S38 Africa/Hibernia project has also been delayed by an error of judgement. When I made the block for the barbette I laminated three pieces of wood, but then thought that it would be too deep so I removed one of them. After I had installed the wood strip for the decking I realised that I should have left the three wood laminates, so I had to add the third after the decking had been laid. I also had to remove the vents on the foredeck and replace them with larger ones when the barbette was finished. This meant cutting and shaping a piece of wood to almost the correct dimensions, gluing it to the top of the existing barbette and finishing it in place. That required some careful filing and sanding, plus a little filler, and then repainting. I also had to protect the wood decking form the dust from the wood grain filler. In all a right fiddle which had I thought more carefully at an earlier stage of construction I could have avoided. When the barbette was complete I added new vents. A new part of the structure was the forward superstructure and flying bridge, on to which the ramp was fixed. I am only representing the front faces of those structures - I am not building a model of a warship! The bridge was set about three feet (1 meter) ahead of the flying bridge, so I cut out both as a single piece from 60 thou card, and then separated them. I used a small block of wood to join them together with a scale gap between. On the Africa and Hibernia two small guns were mounted on each side of a central observation post: I have deliberately left these out as they had nothing to do with the launch ramp and would only add unnecessary complexity to the model. Instead I added some smaller details to the front face of the forward superstructure and cut out the windows in the section between flying bridge, and cemented the observation platform on the front superstructure: After this had been painted I screwed it to the rear of the base: I did think about using epoxy but decided that a stronger attachment was desirable given the small area of contact. The turret was painted and placed on the barbette. The sailor figure gives an idea of the size of the 12 inch gun turret and foredeck of the ship: I made a paper template for part of the launch ramp and placed it and the part completed S38 on to the turret just to check alignments and sizes: I made up the ramp from basswood (lime) strip with a strip of beech for part of the runway. The difference in colour of the wood can be clearly seen on one of the contemporary photographs taken on the runway. The gaps and solid platform sections are based on photographic evidence but I cannot be certain that the dimensions are 100% accurate, but at least it looks proportional when I tried it for fit on the model: I have still to give the wood platform a wash with light grey to tone doen the lime wood. The next step will be to make the supports for the ramp and attach them to the top of the turret and foredeck. The canvass screens which were draped to protect the superstructure of the ship and which covered the observation platform will be made from paper and glued in place when ready. I will post more when I have completed that part of the model. Thanks for looking. P
  13. My take on a Marder II in Afrika Korps service. Built OOB, with only additional figures. The usual Tamiya quality and build (apart from locating the gun - for some reason it just wouldn't site correctly with hole/poly cap, despite my cursing and desperate filing). This is my first effort using pigments and fixer to finish off weathering - it's not perfect I know (the wheels especially).....and I know about the join lines on the figures too.....
  14. I wish i knew earlier that there was more going on in the wheel wells, colour-wise. I like what you did there. -d-
  15. Is this for 1 -one plane only? What does a new C-130j cost?? https://www.avionrevue.com/aviacion-militar/estados-unidos-aprueba-venta-de-un-basler-bt-67-para-argentina/?ct=t(seleccion-23-4-2024L)&mc_cid=c0db6a338a&mc_eid=a885934507
  16. Really sorry I will use another method. There is nothing wrong with the site but something has gone wrong somewhere. I can see the images from my PC.
  17. Thanks @Spookytooth for the shout out, I ‘m liking your take on tackling the internal geodetic structure, on the back of this I’ve placed an online order for one to give it a go. Here’s my take on tackling all things chrome: MOLOTOW Liquid Chrome. 😉
  18. I will admit to doing this. Perhaps not more than four RFIs at a time but I do often post more than one at once or in quick succession. Partly it's sheer laziness. It's much easier for me to just do them all in one go than when I finish a model. Especially since I like to photograph my models in a light box, not just on the model desk. And partly it's because I don't post all of my work in progress builds on here anymore, but I do post all of them on RFI. If it fits in a group build or is otherwise interesting, I'll probably do a thread. There's no rush to post these as soon as I finish them. A sterile RFI thread with ten different versions of "nice build" is pretty dull. If RFI threads didn't generate at least some discussion and interest, I don't think I would post them. Equally, those builds aren't the only builds worthy of attention and feedback. There are a lot of models posted that I'm not particularly interested in, so i just scroll past to the next build. Posting on Instagram is more like throwing something into the void of the Internet. It might get picked up by the algorithm and do well, but probably not. The interaction you get is shallow, it doesn't really facilitate discussion. The format of this forum does away with the arbitrary selection of what content is shown to you. All threads are displayed equally within their own sections, sorted by most recent reply. You have the opportunity to see every thread if you just choose to click on the title if it interests you. You are in control of the content you get to see. As a result, you get much richer discussion and better interactions on here. I've never felt there is such an unwritten rule nor that there should be. If you have something worth sharing, post it. Some people can build multiple models in a week, whereas it would take others months to finish one. And finally, you can always choose to sort threads by date started rather than most recent reply.
  19. Thanks Colin, I find Hasegawa decals a bit inconsistent too, at times. I was going to use decals from a Hasegawa P-400 I did a bit back, but they were Impervious to everything I tried to settle them down, even boiling water and hair dryer. Yet others go on fine?? I just used Microset on these ones and had no problems at all. Cheers Russ
  20. Love this! Looking really good so far. Defo keeping an eye on the rest of you build
  21. Thanks, I just used Humbrol 113 for the propeller and spinner colour. Cheers Russ
  22. Not really used to seeing the Airacomet in British livery, but it does look nice. I'm glad you got the Hobbycraft kit to go together well as I have had some problems doing mine in the past. Just looks great. Thanks for sharing.
  23. I, too, thought of the AMX as "newer" types, and admit to surprise that they have seen 35 years of service already! But then, as a kid I remember the F-14 entering service as the latest hot Navy fighter, while the YF-16 and YF-17 were having a flyoff as the new light fighter. I remember talking to my father (who flew Spitfires in the RAF in WWII) about them, and telling him I thought the USAF would choose the YF-16, but the Navy would want the YF-17 because it had two engines. I still think of the F-22 and F-35 as "new". It would be interesting to see the AMX in Irish colours.
  1. Load more activity