All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Absolutely not a problem. Thanks for those it will give me the impetus to keep moving forward. Cheers, Alistair
  3. Thanks Keith, How much will be visible is still to be determined. Cheers, Alistair
  4. Ive only just come back to look at how far this debate has gone and in all honesty have to say reading some of the comments has made me soil myself a couple times with sheer laughter and merriment! its obvious we are all never going to agree as to which our favourite aircraft are given how many there have been since powered flight was brought into play! it has been cool to see all the differing opinions posted given also how many nationalities got involved in the debate but going back to the original again, its the Spit by a mile, the Hunters nose is too short and wing area way to big for the airframe. Its only nice to look at from certain angles for me but again, personal taste here and not a criticism of this aircraft though no doubt now, it will all kick off again! Hold tight, fast ride, hands in the air!
  5. Hope you don't mind if I post a single pic of each as motivation/inspiration All three are brush painted and the lighting in the photographs was terrible, more so in some than others. Gondor
  6. Every seam needs attention with careful testfitting, even then black CA and/or Mr. Surfacer 500 is needed. If you think of the kit as the world's finest vacuform, building it goes a bit better. Then again, Tamiya will never release a 1/144 KC-10 so This is the Way. Used sprue frames to spread the fuselage to allow a better fit to the lower fuselage pan. Used a brass tube for the number 2 engine intake to save me hours of modeling fun sanding the interior seams.
  7. That's what I was thinking - some distortion is probably the payoff for the thinness of the mouldings. Cheers, Mark
  8. Nice looking Mustang. It looks like the red tail and nose fought you a bit, but you pulled it through. Thanks for sharing.
  9. Aye the instruction are a little vague and the parts a bit agricultural. Glad to know it can be built up though. Handy stuff for tight areas as you can just pack it in. Cheers, Alistair
  10. Dennis, I seem to recall seeing a photo of your B-17; IIRC, it had the nsme "The Spook" along with a caricature of a Skull wearing a top hat, and I think holding a cane and white gloves, but for the life of me, I don't remember in what book I saw it. I found some data on what might be the same B-17F; the codes were ET-J., serial was 42-29704. Here is what I have found so far; in the photo with the crew, you can see the name and I think behind it and covered by the prop hub, is the nose art. Best I can do right now, but maybe this info will jog somebody's memory. I will dig into my B-17 reference books to see what I can find, Is this a great hobby, or what? Mike Delivered Cheyenne 6/2/43; Rapid City 20/2/43; Kearney 12/3/43; Assigned 336BS/95BG [ET-J] Alconbury 29/3/43; Framlingham 12/5/43; 2m, battle damaged ... https://95thbgdb.com/aircraft/29 https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205360906 Evidently there were several B-17's with the same name! (I am really confused, now!) https://books.google.com/books?id=Zq231WMxUXYC&pg=PA102&lpg=PA102&dq=B+17f+42+29704+the+spook+crash&source=bl&ots=miLORliLiX&sig=ACfU3U0-PBmXxz1SL1z_luNQ0ZhgLC9XjQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjb6qzqk9uFAxUTnokEHab8BTI4ChDoAXoECAMQAw#v=onepage&q=B 17f 42 29704 the spook crash&f=false
  11. A really good build of a beat up Zero. Thanks for sharing.
  12. This is coming together well enough, albeit a bit slowly. There are lots of wee little parts to get right and not lose. The motor is all done...disregard that cracked gear box! 😆 The cockpit was a lot of little bits, but it looks good. Once it all done I will give it an OD Drab exterior. --John
  13. WV318 started life as an F4 but after an accident was rebuilt as a T7 and in October 1964 was upgraded to a T7A. She was used to train Lightning and Bucaneer crews. One of the last 4 to serve with the RAF she was painted black to commemorate 40 years of the type. Purchased in 1996 by Delta Jets at Kemble she was a regular on the airshow circuit until 2012 when Delta Jets ceased operations. She passed through a couple of owners then ended up at the International Test Pilots School in Ontario and is currently in service there. I had the good fortune to fly her on my 60th birthday, a surprise present arranged by my wife, and 24 years later my heart is still in the skies of Gloucestershire. The model represents her as she was when I flew her with a satin black finish. She was repainted in gloss black shortly afterwards for the Hunter Jubilee. The model was built from the Revell kit with the PJ Productions resin T7/T8 conversion kit. The only significant problem was that the place where you saw the front end off the Revell fuselage appears to be about 2mm too far back which creates a problem as the recess for the front of the wing has to be extended forward to compensate. Unfortunately the PJ forward fuselage had already been mated to the Revell rear section before I found this out. I thought that I had a picture showing the problem but it seems to have gone AWOL. Fitting the vacform canopy was something of a struggle which required some building up of the cockpit sides. Decals came from an old Xtrakit Hunter set which included a set for the Black Arrows. They are not quite correct for this T7 but were the only set available as far as I know. I had some trouble applying them as they had a tendency to break up. As luck would have it the worst case was the upper surface decals on the wing where part of the outer white ring went adrift. I reckoned that it was better to leave it that way than try to paint in the missing bit. There was a bit of last minute panic when I discovered that contrary to the instructions in the coversion kit this T7A was fitted with a tailhook and I had to make one. One is actually supplied with the kit for the T8 version but in my case the hook had been broken off before I received it (It was secondhand from Ebay) John
  14. I've built three so far, each a pain in the @$$ to get the cockpit to fit. Tungsten Putty sounds like a plan. Gondor
  15. I’ve received some positive feedback from Helen (Mk1Nut) and need to do some minor tweaks. The plates above the exhausts and the positions for the cab periscopes.
  16. Thanks, @Overflow, for talking to Milan, hopefully in his native Czech, so that Sword sees others are interested in the Dominie's coming to fruition--and not just a few completely Brit-mad English-speakers like me. Milan really, really likes U.S. Navy aircraft, and would love a new 1/72 Privateer, but that seems beyond anything he'll even contemplate for now. Sword's F-84 sold well, and I think the Crud is on its way to equaling or exceeding that number, so he's past break-even on these two projects. However, Milan is very cautious right now about anything that doesn't match the classic single-seat, fast-mover category.
  17. Now the name Novo and kit builds rarely comes together these days. You did really well with these old kits as both Fireflies look great. Which one are you keeping? Thanks for sharing both.
  18. I have attached the undercarriage and the canopy, removed all the masks. I am very pleased wit the paint job. It might be my best yet. The underside is looking good. I have a couple of painting touch-ups...nothing actually anyone but me would notice. Then it's decal time all around! I'll start with the stencils of course. --John
  19. Considering the recon "new" version/parts need a change in the original Academy kit, I hope the modified engine nacelles are included in the "new" kit, instead to have to buy more aftermarket sets.
  20. Thinking of a side project. U.S.S. Giger NCC 1978
  21. The link I posted shows both sets by Air Graphics. The engines are out of stock at the moment though. The only other option I know for engines you will have to be extremely lucky to find as they are M&E Models and are as easy to find as hens teeth Gondor
  1. Load more activity