This stream auto-updates
- Past hour
Yeah, I was pretty glad to see that the Fe2's propeller was a fairly uniform colour. It made things a lot easier. Actually, now that you mention paper thicknesses; does anyone know what the real-world thicknesses of wood were that were used in the laminations?
Hi André, I think for the good old days of scale modelling the kit was acceptable (perhaps more than acceptable) but, by todays' standards it needs a lot of work to look accurate. On the other hand, the Italeri kit is quite nice though I think it does have some dimensions' issues on certain areas like the wing (underscale). The kit that still remains the best in 1/72 is the Fujimi (I've got only 3)
In Shutes book, Ordinance Wren Janet Prentice, shoots down a Ju 88 as it overflew the Solent shortly before D-day. Shute wove his tail around an actual incident when a Ju 188 overflew the Solent on the 18th April 1944 & after being engaged by ground fire was shot down by 255 sqn Typhoons from the wartime airfield of Needs Oar Point on the Solent near Exbury. The Ju 188 was from Kg.66. A great little book The Exbury Junkers by John Stanley was written about the incident & explains Shute's involvement. More info about the 1944 incident in this Youtube clip & a Facebook page by Stanley about it. I've long thought Requiem for a Wren one of the most intensely moving works of fiction I've ever read. When I was in the UK nearly 5 years ago with my son, we visited the Solent, Exbury House, Needs Oar point & later while visiting Cosford from a rellies place near Birmingham, we detoured to Cannock Chase German war cemetery & honoured the crew of the Exbury Junkers. A Kg.66 Ju 188 build is a definite one of these days. Steve.
Good to know Andre . Thanks again .
From my reading of 'Air Arsenal North America', the issue was around availability and the understandable desire of the home military to have suitably equipped aircraft. This makes some sort of sense given that the US aviation industry was gearing up production from a fairly low base. If you think in 1938 the order for Hudsons the RAF was greater in number than the total procurement by the US military. By the time the USA looked like entering the war, American aircraft factories were already producing substantial numbers of aircraft for non US users.
I went and bought some brown and beige paper and started experimenting. I made a nice new prop for the floh and I'm working on one for the brandenberg D1 that I'm planning. For me three layers of 120gsm works in 1/144 I's say single layers of 80gsm or 60gsm might do the job. Flickr is down but I'll post some photos once it's back up. From looking at photos of RFC and RAF planes from the era they are laminated too but they temd to be varnished or stained in a single colour, so the technique might still be good for British planes as well. so far I'd say the glued paper is much easier to carve and sand so this will probably become my default propeller making method .
Super work, Heather, a fantastic final result to match your reference pic. I like the detail of the framework that stops the trainee gunner from shooting the Oxford's tail off! The ground crew must have had to check that for correct position before every flight. Congrats. All the best. Mike.
Hi Marklo, thanks for the tip! That has some real potential for 1/144, especially when doing some of the German props. I'll definitely be keeping that in mind, as I'm contemplating what would make a good adversary to the Fee.
I think most of us have particular types that we buy a lot of kits of, and that's clearly a market any manufacturer needs to be aware of because it's the big sales . The largest offenders for me in terms of different versions and scales in the stash are Spitfires, Hurricanes, Meteors, Mustangs, 109s, 190s, Thunderbolts, Corsairs, and for some reason I have five Fw.200 kits. And Wildcats, lots of those. Also Gladiators and Hart variants. (Yes, I have an irrational situation here)
Great review- the Kit Kat cracked me up! Did the reviewer put it in there!
It is definitely the Hasegawa kit. Scalemates is often incorrect... like Wikipedia, it's only as good as the input. What fit problems have you had?
Morning André, what I will start by saying is this is second hand information. It came to me from the Gent who used to paint the test shots for the Phoenix Phollies range, back in the '80's. Have a look here:- http://www.art-girona.com then type into the search bar (top right) 'Phoenix'.........NB **** NOT WORK FRIENDLY!! **** it will give you an idea, also worth looking at the Pegaso range. His 'trick' was to mask out the figure when painting the 'Nylons' and then use layers of highly thinned paint. He used brushes, but you could use an airbrush, if you intend to use a stencil type arrangment for a design on the stockings. The lace you can treat the same as any Napoleonic uniform lace and tassle arrangement. One thing to remember is that female skin is more 'pink' than the male, so high and low lights aren't needed as much, and need to be more subtle. HTH Paul
Strange how Scalemates makes no reference to it being previously a Hasegawa kit but the sprue shots are identical suggesting it is. Finding it quite a slog atm. Some of it I can put down to me being inexperienced but other bits are just plain wrong or poor.
Most OnlineNewest Member
Who's Online 127 Members, 2 Anonymous, 768 Guests (See full list)
- Alan R
- Graham Boak
- Robert Stuart
- Vicarage Vee
- Greg B
- Giorgio N
- Roman Schilhart
- The Tomohawk Kid
- Rabbit Leader
- Putty Animal
- J Sherratt
- Monty Python
- Jon Bryon
- Colin @ Freightdog Models
- Bandsaw Steve
- lord peter flint
- John Darlington
- Andy Robbins
- Heather Kay
- Thomas V.
- Matt P