This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Super Aereo

78th fs p47d eileen

Sky was Sky.
  3. helios16v

The Last Naval Night Fighter - 26/4 update

Nice recovery!
  4. Johnv

1/72 Airfix Avro Lancaster

I put the wheels on. The left leg immediately broke apart and I had to glue the axles to the wheel then the axle-wheel unit to the leg, left leg only. The right unit went together with no fuss. The plastic softened up with all the glue so I am hoping that the axles "welded" themselves nicely to the leg. After welding for 42 years I know that's not what happens but one can hope! The repaired left leg is in the foreground.---John
  5. Colin W

Bae Hawk Dragons in the Valley

Thanks Bar Side. XX164 seems to be a popular subject but I have an affinity for XX162 since it was the first jet I ever sat in. Having built in twice in 1/72 in my early years it was the first I built when the 1/48 kits appeared. As an aside, I moved back to England for a few years and found myself living near Boscome Down. I went to take a look at the Lightning gate guard but was buzzed by a black hawk. It was XX162 flying with the Institute of Aviation Medicine. I feel another Hawk coming along! Colin
  6. cmatthewbacon

Scale automotive paint advice

You're welcome! All that said, I just came across a recent issue of Octane featuring the real car as used in the film and returned to the limelight recently: It's really hard to see much of a hint of metal flake, even in the sunshine, and in the indoor pictures it looks like a fairly drab dark green, not to mention looking almost black in some of the film stills. Humbrol 116 or Tamiya AS-21 aren't far off... best, M.
  7. trickyrich

The Last Naval Night Fighter - 26/4 update

More progress on her today, getting closer to painting. Lots more sanding and filling and sanding again. The canopy has been masked all ready for painting. I’m adding the U/c legs now as it’ll make it easier to sit her, plus the U/c will be mostly the same colour as the rest of her! All references I’ve found have stated that the U/c wells and gear were painted Zinc Chromate with the main gear doors and wells over sprayed Black as with the rest of the aircraft. The nose well and gear remained Zinc Chromate, with little to no over spray. The overall Black finish wasn’t very good in quality and faded and chipped/wore easily, showing the Zinc Chromate underneath. The 2 pylons were fitted at this stage as well. While fitting the nose gear I noticed that something just didn’t look quite right with it. Going back to the reference photos revealed the issues. Besides that fact the instructions had the NWG doors around the wrong way, the nose wheel was too far back and the main leg actually should be angled forward and it pivoted near the opening of the door and not at the base of the wheel well! Plus they had completely forgotten about a panel in the nose wheel well that held the magazines and ejectors for the 20mm cannons! So the leg was moved one section forward and supports/pivots added, plus a new panel with ejector chutes was made along with openings at the correct end of the gear doors. The new ejector openings need a wee bit of tidings up but other than that this section is done. There were only 2 ejector ports for the 4 cannons. You can now see the correct pivot points for the nose gear, the bottom part of the gear was drawn back as top section was retracted forward. Now she looks like a Skyknight (Whale), she has a slight nose up attitude as she should. Just a wee bit more tiding up and I can start to paint her. For painting I’m going to use Tamiya’s NATO black, it’s not super black so should look just right. I’ll try and do super light coats over a Zinc Chromate base with some chipping fluid on it. I want to try and get a patchy finish on her. Plus with luck I’ll get some masks to do the national markings on her, unfortunately the rest of the markings will have to be decals. Things going to plan she should/may be painted sometime in the middle of the week, it’d be nice to get her done and out of the way!
  8. J.P.

Tamiya 1/48 P-47

Hi 'yall. I've been plugging away at this guy slowly. Most of the decals are on, I just have to add the tail codes and the squadron marking(?) on the starboard side. The "FT L" on the port side keep sticking to my finger and peeling off so I'm leaving the right side for last. I've added some exhaust staining, airbrushed Testors colors and dirt/oil streaks in the form of artists oil paints. Anyway, as the old Night Ranger song goes Chippin' Away at my (motivation) heart every day.... http:// http:// http:// http:// http://
  9. MarkSH

Scale automotive paint advice

Ha! turns out Hiroboy is right here in Cheltenham so can click and collect. A brief search of the website suggests that they don't actually stock a Mica/Pearl 'Bullitt' green only metallic but I'll give them a ring and see what the options are, thanks again for the heads up re; Hiroboy @cmatthewbacon. Cheers, Mark
  10. petr@SpecialHobby

1/72 Viggen Duo Pack - marking options

All six schemes on SH blog, learn more at: http://www.specialhobby.info/2019/04/sh72411-saab-37-viggen-duo-pack-book_25.html
  11. Uncle Uncool

1/48 Meng ME-410b/U4- The Hornet

Ant, mate! There was SUCH an epic build I recall regarding this aircraft (same scale, different manufacturer and version) 10 years ago by a modeller going by the name Chuck (top-bloke; one of the greatest modellers I've seen on ARC). He would share his outstanding techniques with us (still does, I guess?), and his posts were quite out of the normal. I've found that thread for you - although a bit extensive, think it might be of use to you. Me410 A-1: To The Finish! Piccies still working. Enjoy! Cheers, Unc2
  12. petr@SpecialHobby

Special Hobby Barracuda Mk.III decals

on our blog now: http://www.specialhobby.info/2019/04/72408-fairey-barracuda-mkiii-asv-mkxi.html
  13. petr@SpecialHobby

Barra Mk.III and Captured Arado Ar 96 in 1/72...

Barracuda decals on our blog now: http://www.specialhobby.info/2019/04/72408-fairey-barracuda-mkiii-asv-mkxi.html
  14. trickyrich

Fw 190 one shot ship killer

gee she looks nice!! being a very old hand at the original old fashion way of mottling with a cut brush I'd say that's the way to go. I think you'd get a better finish with that then the sponge method........in my opinion. Wonder if Airfix will scale it up to 1/48th?
  15. Air Hockey Propellers

OV-10A Bronco - 1:72

https://www.italeri.com/uploads/news/m33hofTevksUE0AvH2udA168GpOPUL98Eq0JrDo6.pdf This one? Where do you get your info from?
  16. TheBaron

La Fauvette Steam Yacht

Not after what happened last time when you fell overboard... Bloody wrecked it climbing back on board so you did!
  17. robw_uk

PANTHER G "Night Fighter"

Cheers... The 2 docs I opened were fine so assume the others are. Work/home a bit busy this week so little free time
  18. Whofan

Classic Clips from tv and film.

Agreed on the Office, but always did like Fawlty Towers. As yu say, Brilliant. My crime? never found Monty Python particularly funny. A few odd sketches, but overall ... no.
  19. Vince1159

What are you reading?

Just started, Grandmasters of Chess: Harold C Schonberg.....
  20. magpie1832

1/350 Trumpeter HMS Hood

Nice work Nick. I've just finished barring the lifeboats the Hatchette 1:200 Hood it's a Lovely ship but rubbish kit. Chris
  21. I like that you said ever heard of the word conversion, then went on to use the word impossible
  22. Aero John.....Thank you very much, and it's nice to "see" you... cheers, Ross
  23. Converting the wing from E to C is relatively easy, replace the bulges above the cannon panel and cut new case ejector slots on the wing undersurface (this being probably the most difficult part, at least for me). The high back converions may be a bit more difficult, personally I'd try to see if chopping the relevant parts from the ICM Mk.IX would work, this is a kit that is available for ery little money and includes a lot of spare parts, it's IMHO ideal for those who want to experiment with Spit related surgery in 1/48. The gun bulges may also come from this kit, although ICM moulded these together with the panels while Airfix seems to have moulded them integral with the wings. Using a PR.XIX fuselage can be done but keep in mind that the canopy of the XIX is different, resulting in a different depts of the canopy sills on the fuselage.
  24. Earliest ref to the 'sky' undersides I've found so far is an edition of Airfix magazine from about 1972, so it's long established
  25. Yes I went and found it after I saw this thread. My memory's not good enough to keep up with all the new releases in what scale
  26. Courageous

Tug S.A. Everard

Cheers Kev. Thee old tugs do look rather scrappy for the workhorses they are. As things move forward towards paint and it being a workhorse, i'll need to weather the thing, something i've never done on this genre. Stuart
  1. Load more activity