All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. I had an 'out of the blue' seizure last year and surrendered my driving licence for six months as per the consultant's instructions. When my wife informed the insurance company and removed me from the insurance, leaving just her, she was told it now cost more. She got a little upset with the insurance company and they changed their mind. I told her it was because she no longer had the steadying hand of a man on the wheel and referred her to the Harry Enfield sketch (available on you tube), 'woman know your place'. It contains useful diagrams showing how woman absorb knowledge differently from men. She got a little upset with me and I changed my mind.
  3. Looking very smart! Will the red one have a black bonnet? I’ve always thought that was a very sharp look.
  4. Yes Neddy. But I don't it will be fast enough to tip over! But the roller skates or furniture castors might be a good idea if I can find them in 1/24th scale!
  5. I was originally planning on doing that (the whole clear part left clear) but I decided partial painting to cover the areas where bits are fixed to the fuselage side (such as the panels in the nose and the large engineer panel near the pilot)
  6. Another lovely dose of nostalgia, great shot of all 4! Superb job as usual Dave, with your customary superb finish. We really need a source of Viscount props for both this and the S&M kit. Cheers John
  7. I have confession to make. I am definitely not a BMW fan. Generally I find them to be too testosterone-ridden and I'm fed up with being cut up by them. However, there is one exception - the Z1. I love the quirky styling of this little sports car, the unusual design and above all the doors, so when I discovered a pre-owned kit on Kingkit at a nice price I couldn't resist it. This therefore will be my next build, a straight OOB effort as I'm fresh out of inspiration after the last one!
  8. As it’s ANZAC Day here, I thought working on the Mustang in the evening would be a meaningful way of commemorating Uncle Ian’s service in the RAAF. The wing halves were cemented first, and the sprue attachments removed. I’d been really worried about this step, but needn’t have been. The plastic is quite soft, so a few swipes of a nail file removed most traces of the burs, with just a little sanding required to restore surface continuity. I attached the interior to starboard half of the fuselage, along with the instrument panel and tailwheel. The upper radio tray was fiddly, but I used the port half to jig it in place. Once the interior elements were secure, I then cemented the port fuselage half in place with no real issues. There are a few areas that are quite messy along the seam, and I made a finger print just behind the cockpit, but thankfully there isn’t much detail there anyway. I also chipped off the little peak above the seat from the port half weeks ago, so I’ll need to use some plastic card to fix that later. With the fuselage cemented together, the empennage actually fitted far better than it did when I dry fitted it earlier! Things to remember when I clean up the fuselage: i. There’s a part line down the centreline on top of the cowling ii. I need to erase the fuel filler detail behind the cockpit on the port side as this aircraft is modelled without the extra fuselage tank.
  9. Gunning to have the seat section in the mold on Saturday (break day). Figured that if I set a target I can cut off from tweaking and scratching both it and my head. Still looking to pull out as much detail as I can from it. Sunday could possibly be cast day and if good will mean the end of the Jockey... I am sad! Oh yeah. I can work the hole and then. Astronauts... Yay!
  10. Thanks for the comments and likes. These are much appreciated Thanks David. Hope you don't mind me pointing out it's F-RSIN, not F-RESIN. The name is a play on a French airliner registration. John Adams wound up Aeroclub and retired a few years ago. His departure has left a bit of a gap in the market. Welsh Models offer a small range of metal accessories but you need to contact Densil directly to see if he has any Viscount props available. Dave G
  11. Today I freed this bird from its clamps and rubber bands and attached the small parts to the model. It has been standing on its own two feet since lunchtime today.
  12. @JackG Many thanks for sorting out the confusion.
  13. As a bit of R&R during my recent, rather complex Vespid Tiger STGB build I finished off this Airfix Panzer IV in an Afrika Korps scheme. Not much to say other than it was like going back to the modelling Dark Ages, but good fun all the same. 🙂 With the long barrel option also provided in the kit:
  14. Exactly...no excuses whatsoever. I stare at walls all the time Bill, nothing new there. I find having a wide range of interests helps a lot with mojo issues as you can just wander off and return to the hobby at some other point with a fresh outlook. With modelling, having magazine and book deadlines to meet helps, otherwise I probably wouldn't find the time to finish any projects. Melchett Towers is, and always has been, a complete mad house as Martian and Pete will testify, plus we tend to travel a lot and I refuse to pack the mancave into the back of the jalopy whenever the Memsahib takes a fancy to visit some far flung outpost of the Empire...
  15. These markings were in use long before WWII in unarmed civil aircraft and were used for navigation by taking bearings off landmarks and timing with a stopwatch to establish groundspeed and drift. DH88 Comet Grosvenor House had them during the Macrobertson Air Race of 1934.
  16. Thanks for the comments and likes everybody. I really appreciate these Already boxed up and awaiting loading into the car. It's the usual last-minute scramble to get everything ready but we seem to be on track. Unfortunately an A330-200 which I hoped to finish for the show has had to be postponed due to decal problems. A replacement decal set is on its way from Hannants but won't arrive in time. Annoying and disappointing but that's modelling! I usually decant Halfords paint (except for primer) although there are plenty of modellers who get good results from the can. I make extensive use of Micromesh polishing cloths which aren't a magic bullet but are very helpful in obtaining a good finish. Dave G
  17. That looks excellent- clever thinking with the lead wire, I wasn’t sure how to approach that aspect!
  18. Just catching up with this. Amazing build as always Mark. I'm sort of beginning to think of doing a silver/nmf but am quite daunted by the prospect, but your thread is helping. Regarding the wing surface finish, I've just found that out as well so will also have to back-track slightly - but working in a smaller scale it should be less work! cheers Rob
  19. Have you got or can you get a radiator grille to fit on the front? Make a card bonnet to fit and maybe even add a side pipe to suggest a bigger engine. You may as well go all out! Wider wheels too perhaps?
  20. Yes, although as the most powerful and manoeuvrable aircraft I'd flown up to that point had been a Bulldog it took me a while to stop overcontrolling in roll. The pilot had enough faith to let me fly it at low level through the Highlands, where I quickly discovered (helped by some very loud prompts from the left seat) that you need to pull much harder to go round a corner in a fast jet than you do in a light aircraft. 😧
  21. Same here ! I may be wrong , but didn't the original Airfix kit come with an actual Bloodhound dog as part of the 'extras' ?
  22. The kit contains a complete set of aluminum-skinned flight controls in addition to the fabric-covered ones, so you can add the fabric-covered pieces to your spares collection. With regard to the ailerons, the kit gives you the option of cutting and replacing the molded-on units; my preference is to keep the molded-on ailerons in place and conceal the rib detail beneath some primer and gentle sanding. As for the wing inspection lights, you'll need to fabricate these yourself, but there are options out there for making this a hopefully easy process.
  23. Looks good with the primer on. You mentioned earlier that you were painting it in the RAF Germany tactical scheme, unfortunately Airfix goofed on those 92 Sqn markings, they should be red and yellow checks, not yellow and blue.
  24. Thanks for the comments and likes everybody. Much appreciated Dave G
  1. Load more activity