This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Hi guys, Thank you for welcoming me to the forum and for your valuable comments and suggestions. Much appreciated! Michael, Thank you for the historical info on the subject. I should look into that more carefully on the next one. Adds more value to the model and the subject. Bob, Thank you very much for your feedback! I agree with you on all three points. Will look to incorporate them on my current build, Tamiya's 1/72 Spit Mk.I. Martin, Thank you very much for your comments. Yes, I did the chipping with hairspray method in two layers, one for bare aluminium and one for the primer. i used it straight form the can but should have decanted it first, since it kind of roughened the final paint job I think. Not sure though.
  3. My apologies to Michael Bowyer and Jerry Scutts, not Scott. (Having seen it happen again whilst I was watching, part of the blame belongs to computerised text correction. I shall have to look again for datable photos of trainers with the lower wings in Yellow. I have, however, seen photos of trainers with Yellow wingtips, something which was standardised much later than would seem to be the case from these views.
  4. Bundesluftwaffe Taktisches Ausbildungskommando der Luftwaffe in Portugal (Luftwaffe Tactical Training Command in Portugal). One-O-Four https://www.flickr.com/photos/gerrit_kok_collection/8323197204 http://www.916-starfighter.de/Large/Colors/2099sp.htm V.P.
  5. Oh wow, they are really cool photos thank you for sharing ... it was my first attempt at weathering... it may be a bit ‘wild’ but sometimes they can get like this... Regards, Alistair
  6. Brilliant, terrific self introduction. Welcome on the forum ! No doubt Columbia20713 (the OP as you name him), himself a Newbie, was shocked and offended. Besides, a question arises that some members might shed a light on : Bleach ? Could a nurse be demoted from patient care down to laundry room ? Cheers. AV O
  7. Hi Gents, Thanks for the comments Hi Davey, Still working on it, had hoped to have it done before this GB - The Cowlings are proving problematic, replacing the Airfix engines, the plastic is so thick, I may have to vacuform some new ones Regards Alan So an Update I have added a link to a reasonably newish (last year or so) post about RNZAF Lauthala Bay from You tube. The opening song "Isa Lei" is being sung a little cheesy manner, but anyone who had anything to do with Lauthala Bay knew this song, which is a Fijian farewell song The term "Isa" is a parents (usually Mother) way of expressing sadness/concern the term Lei added for emphasis Anyway I digress, please enjoy RNZAF Lauthala Bay A few items for modellers to be aware of The SH Sunderland had indented Fuselage mooring bollards. Not all Sunderland's had these. This photo from the Sunderland notes shows a different type - Sometimes it is hard to identify from a photos, but they were there Stern camera Port, will need to add So Plastic has been cut and off we go I measured the two halves to see what the base measurement was (or not) A Little narrow....... Looking at general fit - bow got my notice Will need a little bit of work Portholes I have filled in the "extraneous" ports, using masking tape to help protect the panel lines (for now) End result (prior to sanding) So The Portholes. All Porthole transparencies are 30.5cm excluding Beam hatch-38.5cm Pretty close, not going to lose sleep over .04mm Now SH chose to portray the Opening Portholes by moulding the Outer Ring with the Transparency Like so The size measured is about 5mm 1/72, which is 37cm in 1:1 scale, so not too bad. The only problem I see is the Rim indentation disappearing under the paint. The actual porthole opening measures 37cm in Diameter as below As an FYI if you want to have an actual porthole open, then this is what the rear of the Porthole looks like This photo of a wrecked RNZAF Sunderland shows what the porthole opening looks like sans porthole covers Used for illustration purposes This photo/explanation below, hopefully illustrates how the opening porthole worked Anyway, hope I haven't bored you all too much. More plastic has been cut and more to show soon Regards Alan
  8. Small update.... The seem line around the primary hull was filled and sanded again to I hope a smooth finish....no doubt when it is primed it will show up with a seem line The nacelles were buttoned up and fit together really well, just a very prominent seem line all the way through. Small tip, fit the fins after you have sanded back the seem lines as it is an absolute pain to sand. I left the buzzard caps off until all sanding and prepping was complete. Bit of a close up of the seem line Seem lines sanded and prepped as best as I could with the buzzard caps glued on. Even though you can see the seem line, it is smooth, but alas will probably show up when painted The nacelle pylons went together well will a HUGE trench of a seem line, now filled and sanded. This issue will come when fitting them as a small amount of trimming is required to fit the nacelles to the pylon and then some more filler. Thats as far as I have gotten with the build so far, more probably later in the week as I'm off to Ireland for a few days with work....No doubt these 2 will invade the work bench and have a good sniff around... Don't be fooled by their cuteness.......
  9. Thanks Richard, it's converging on the painting, not in a linear fashion, but still converging
  10. Thanks Stuart I could have easily enough but thought I’d better hold back in case the landing gear couldn’t take the weight! It’s quite weighty as it is - but gives the model a nice feel - like it has substance...
  11. Welkin

P51 Mustang, what if?

Obvious comment, but - Martin-Baker MB.5 lookalike?
  12. In my personal experience, the Vallejo Model Color beat the Tamiya paints by a wide margin when it comes to brushing. The only thing to keep in mind is that they need to be applied on a primed surface, they don't stick well to bare plastic. If you have a local source, give them a try, they are among the very best modelling paints around for users of the good old hairy stick
  13. It's certainly making progress, interesting departure from what I normally do. Years ago I build a 1:48th scale 40ft CMB from WW1 that I've also struggled to decide how to mount, while I have all these scenic materials, I may do a side launch slipway for that as well if this works out. Somewhere I've a picture of the CMBs in side launched slips near Harwich....
  14. An excellent build, Nicola. The camouflage looks realistically weathered and you managed the colour transition very well. My suggestions: - Larger pictures, please. Select the biggest size when inserting from Flickr. - The camouflage of this period was in fact less chipped, rather more weathered and dirty (as you did). - The early Corsairs used salmon (pink) primer and not chromate yellow/green and the wheel well/door insides were painted in the exterior grey colour; cockpit dark green and black. This does not at all diminish the beauty of your model, it's more a question of historical awareness. Cheers, Michael
  15. Hi Bill, Thanks for all these pictures you have shared with us especially the last one. At first glance I thought this was a real bird (till I have seen your last sentence) This is an excellent finish!.. I definitely accept your kind offer regarding to have some detailed pictures of A-12. I haven't found any picture that shows Q-Bay positions on real aircraft except these sketches: It would be great if I could get some pictures of exact position of camera windows. I think it should not be matter how many times she has been repainted as long as the windows are still there Serkan
  16. Brilliant looking metal work Steve they totally look the part, also everything else looks brilliant as well Regards Richard
  17. Nice flappery Tony but you know what they say, flappery gets you nowhere
  18. There's no comparison. Excellent detailing work Dan. John.
  19. Building this kit as a snap tight at the moment as part of the "space seed" kit. Its an interesting build and kit, but really enjoying it.
  20. Wow congratulation from me as well Kev each one of your builds are fantastic a true artist Regards Richard
  21. The main problem is that the fuselage cross section on the kit is almost perfectly circular, whereas it should flatten off at the bottom of the windscreen. This gives the whole nose area an inflated look that isn't quite right. This article on LSP explains the problem in depth. https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/45987-hk-b-17-accuracy-issues/ Steve
  22. Morning all, A contented day’s modelling yesterday, interspersed with the odd bacon sandwich and dog walk. The engineering on this kit, I’m finding, is well intentioned, but the fit is not great. The fuselage is in 3 parts, which seems excessive for 17.5cm. I suppose they may limited by their moulding technology. The nose join seemed a bit crooked at first: So I put in shims to correct: The rear fuselage, which blends in a curve into the wing trailing edge fillets, was also a bugger. It seemed to match up ok on the bottom side: ..but the top side revealed a fairly severe gap: It’s worse than it looks in the picture too, particularly the wing fillets which are proud on the front side. I’m loathe to go too medieval on it though, for fear of destroying the detail. I filled it with perfect plastic putty. I recently, belatedly, discovered that you don’t have to sand the stuff at all, but can wipe most of the dried excess away with a damp cotton bud. Bit of a “D'ohhh!” moment.. I managed to resist trying to work it after 10 minutes and left it overnight to cure. After I return from the orifice I will moisten my q-tip and have a crack... On the plus side, the cockpit scrubbed up well (in in “1:72 aargh my eyes hurt" sort of a way) Have a good un, Harry
  23. I may be wrong but I think that the Griffon 58s used in the Mustang conversions, coming originally from Shackletons, do not have the 2-stage superchargers that came in with the 60-series Griffons. So the engines might be slighly shorter at the back end, which would also help with the overall nose length and CoG issue. I think that the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight Spitfire XIXs use Griffon 58s too, whereas the Rolls-Royce's PS853 has a pukka Griffon 65/66. Justin
  24. Nice props PC Yes! Better get the first week planned then…
  1. Load more activity