This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Hi Ced/Procopius Let me know when you're due to get to The Midland Air Museum I may join you. If I can't make it, stay away from the cafe, it'll confirm what every American thinks about British food (the tea and coffee are awful as well). If you need anywhere to eat locally, I would recommend this place which is about a mile down the road: https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186403-d7075654-Reviews-Mrs_Bee_s_Potting_Shed_Cafe-Coventry_West_Midlands_England.html It's not easy to find so let me know if you need directions. It's also quite small and can get busy on Friday.
  3. Fantastic news! Will fill a huge gap in post-war RAF aircraft, I think the Valetta was produced in greater numbers than any other large/medium British military transport aircraft although the York would be close. Not much external difference to the Viking too. A Varsity is substantially different and would need new wings, fuselage, engine cowlings, undercarriage etc. Valom are producing kits of some great and much wanted subjects! Paul
  4. As far as I know the "hook" is a vent to allow air in and out. Without it you'd get a vacuum as fuel was used, leading to fuel starvation. It's curved to stop rain etc getting in. The Ilya Muromets tanks also have them. Hope that helps! Ian
  5. I saw this in Hannants "Future Releases" section today. https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/IT2797
  6. Hello, I have been on a steady push to complete the front end. I found the kevlar decals to be very enjoyable to apply. I ended up covering all monocoque and bucket seat shells. I tried to capture as much detail as possible on the pedal assembly. This required a bit of additional scratch building. It took me two tries for the hoses that come off the radiator. My second solution ive shown turned out to be very successful. 4mm bent brass tube soldered together as a sub assembly then inserted into the radiator PE with small polystyrene plugs. This allowed me to add the finicky hose clamps mush easier. Still a bit of clean up work also some more decals and some detail hardware and the front end should be done done... Thanks for looking. More updates soon!
  7. Wow! The throttle, mixture and propeller pitch controls in that scale must be microscopic in that scale! Very nice result!
  8. Red Dog, could you explain your process a little further? Did you paint green first? I'm seeing lots of different shapes/sizes, but you say "several." Result looks very good.
  9. All together, simple kit, decided against the white underside, should be a quick job to sand and paint
  10. Gorby

Telford 2019

The queue for non IPMS members was very short when I arrived last year and the members queue stretched out the gate of the car park. Walking to the non members queue felt like running the gauntlet, with several snide remarks from IPMS members who thought I was jumping their queue.* One particularly sad individual even tried to block my path to stop me going any further. It didn't make for a very fun start to the day. * For anyone who isn't familiar with British culture, queue jumping is generally considered worthy of the death penalty.
  11. I can empathise with this situation! I also thought there wasn’t a reason to not do them all at once, but don’t tell that to the other spitfires, liberator, Boston, mozzie or the two hurricanes, they might think I should be working on them and not starting a new kit!! Rob
  12. I like the mottled metallic effect you've achieved in your test run - may pinch some of these ideas for my Mustangs in the December GB. Mike
  13. Hi _alfisti_! My colleague purchased the same kit. Can you give the exact dimensions of the ECM pods under the wing in centimeters? Or maybe there is a drawing? It is difficult to determine the exact dimensions by the photo.
  14. Hmmmm seems possible...let’s ask @limeypilot he seems to know about these things.
  15. Like those pins. I need to source some, I think. I like how this is coming together. I wonder if the "hook" is actually an overflow pipe when the tank is being filled.
  16. I'll add my recommendation of the Arma Hobby 1/72 Hurricane. Makes into a very nice Hurricane, in my humble opinion. Just finishing my third one which I hope to get done to take to Telford next month. Cheers, John
  17. I have noticed this effect in several pics and YT clips. Unfortunately, due to a lack of BAe Lightnings here -NL- I have never seen it live; I had to make do with howling Starfighters flying over the house. To the point, I have as of yet not found an answer to this; what's that blueish glow in the intake around the nose cone during takeoff? Is that some form of Cherenkov effect with air molecules speeding past the active radar or something? Just speculating at this point, my physics knowledge is limited on this subject. But I do wonder what creates that effect. Piccie from the interweb:
  18. Ordnance...the supplied decals are a nice touch. Since they were so small I used MicroSol to actually wet the decal so it conformed very easily, especially the wrapped-around yellow and red bands on the Sidewinders.
  19. Brown Dettol contains IPA. It will strip decades old Humbrol enamels, so acrylic is easy to shift.
  20. I thought you said the diet was working Works for me Kev
  21. RLM84... Can't go wrong with RLM02... When dry, remove the tape and ...voila! Some final pieces... Looking very Bordurian already... The decals go on tonight. Varnish afterwards, then some light weathering. --John
  22. @Paulaero that model crosses the magic boundary between a good model and an excellent model! Bravo! Neil
  23. Good afternoon Patrice, Was looking for the Azur and Special Hobby kits but couldn't find one, hence why I went with a couple of the Airfix examples and intend to convert one, it'd be interesting to compare them if we do build the two together.
  24. Brass Pins Not quite painting time yet folks. There's still a handful of details to add before charging up the airbrush and making a complete mess of the project. By some coincidence, or perhaps just because we are starting to deal with some really quite small details, all of the jobs in this post use some very fine brass pins. I picked up a bag of a couple of hundred of these on a whim a couple of years ago while trolling around a jewellery and beading supplies store. I had no real idea what I intended to use them for at the time but I thought I looked like they could be useful and I have used them on many occasions ever since. First we have to add the frames that the windshields will be attached to. The process is pretty self-explanatory, work out where the frame needs to go and mark off and cut out the bits of wood for the housing - if that's the correct term - that the windshield will rest on. Sand the little bits to the correct contour so that they will sit snuggly onto the top deck of the fuselage. Glue them into place with a bit of PVA and then drill three holes. Stick a brass pin - cut very short - through the middle hole to act as a brad to help hold the thing in place. Stick some other brass pins on either side of each housing. These now form the metal uprights onto which the glass windscreens will be attached when the time comes. Now add some sway braces to the fuel tank. Currently it's stuck on the top centre of the upper wing with just two thin vertical tubes and it looks a bit unrealistic and isn't that firmly attached. Drill four holes at consistent angles as shown through the underside of the wing and up into the fuel tank. Insert some brass pins as shown and hold them in place with two-part araldite. Trim off the massive surplus lengths of each brass pin and sand the stubs down smooth. From above we can now see four little sway braces holding the fuel tank in place. It's much more secure than before and looks much more convincing. Oh yes - and there needs to be a hook added as well. I suspect this was used for suspending the aircraft during maintenance and perhaps for checking the C.O.G. So there we go - little brass pins - each costing no more than a couple of cents and each very useful in their own way. What I have not shown you in this post is how I added some - not very convincing - aircrew footholds onto the port side of the aircraft, just to the rear of the instructor's cockpit. I say not very convincing because I noticed them too late - they should have been drilled out and dealt with months ago - and so they have been added as surface detail only. I would put a picture in for your perusal but I don't seem to any photos that show them yet. Maybe next time, or maybe not. Depends how ashamed I am of this slipshod work. Next time I'm going to be drilling lots and lots of holes, and then it's the final primer and start painting. Bandsaw Steve
  25. I thought it had resisted the faddish painting rituals quite well since the Canadian diversion a few years ago until very recently.
  26. Hi Ralph , I recently finished my Gauntlet and used Humbrol 56 for the dark areas you mention. The rest was painted in Humbrol polished Aluminium. Will get a pic up for you soon.
  1. Load more activity