All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. I can understand the problem with the RML SWB. I think GTO Engineering did a better job with their upcoming 'Squalo'. I also remember the days when RML ran at Le Mans with that MG EX257 and later on an MG EX265-branded Lola B08/80 LMP2. Looks rather smashing with that white/Union Jack livery.
  3. won’t fool anyone sunshine
  4. Which I suggested to Vaclav, and he was unenthusiastic, and it's a lot of work for him at his advanced age. I think we can rule him out for relatively large scale projects from here forward. I think the Anson is likely to be the last of his "large" kits.
  5. Björn wrote (jokingly) that he might have been a better builder as a kid. I was not a better builder but there is one skill which I no longer have - I painted the cockpit frames of that Comet freehand. Today, I would struggle to position masks in the right place! I don't understand those ageing modellers who say that are moving to a larger scale because of their failing eyesight. Large scale models also have small pieces, and certainly more than a 1:72 scale kit. I just hang a magnifier on my head but I have not found a mechanical aid for an unsteady hand. Mike
  6. It's been a good 24 hours. My new specs are ready for collection from the optician's. I might even manage to get them this weekend. The accumulator trolley has had a coat of primer, though I do still need to tidy up the cover. Best of all, my belated birthday presents from the family have arrived. Hooray! Woo-hoo!!
  7. Thank you. I might have named the topic wrong and given folk the wrong impression from the outset. Anyway, sanding and decalling tonight. It's great when you have the momentum.
  8. This is Miniart's new 1/72 StuG III. Very nicely-done kit for their first foray into small-scale armour. One of the best 1/72 scale kits I've ever seen.
  9. That is a thing of beauty - always wanted one, together with a David Gilmour Strat.
  10. That's adorable!! Assembly instructions HERE show the engine as a separate part so conversion would be simpler unless they are planning the HC-102 later. All things considered it was/is a remarkable achievement for the local aviation industry.
  11. I've seen the SWB homage up-close and didn't like it; it was very well made but too much of a pastiche for me. But for those of us of a certain age, Ray Mallock will always be associated with those wonderful Aston Nimrods and the Ecosse C2 cars "Reggie" and "Henry". He'd also have been responsible for the 1990 Aston "AMR-2", which supposedly instead inspired that year's Nissan Group C car. Ray was a very active racer at one point and drove the awesome Aston AMR-1 in 1989. More recently I've seen him at Revival (in father Arthur's U2) so he obviously keeps busy! In fact I'd say he's a bit of an unsung hero, being a very competent designer as well as driver. And RML cars have not only competed in Groups C1 and C2, but also in BTCC, WTCC and even the heady heights of hill climbing. Quite a legacy.
  12. I know I know I know I haven't finished doing the lashings on the small boats but this was far more exciting to do 15cm guns and turrets ... The scheme is yellow upper surfaces but I toned it down to a more green/yellow purely for artistic looks..
  13. I was going to ask about those exhausts, but you've now answered my unasked question. Looking good Bill! Ian
  14. This is a fantastic offering. What I would like to do is buy the file and print myself instead of paying for shipping. They could ship the decals but that is relatively inexpensive. Anyway, probably not possible but maybe someday.
  15. It's an excellent little kit. I'm looking forward to the rerelease with decals for a PR spitfire
  16. Not much since last update. After sorting out a few blemishes with the wing joins and the area around cockpit, the float hulls were fitted to the underside. A quick inspection found that a little PPP will be needed around the wing/hull joins. I should really start to think about a base for this thing. Stuart
  17. Jawdroppingly fantastic model in every possible way. Absolutely brilliant! Kristjan
  18. Yes, there is a continuation of the Bizzarrini 5300 GT called the 5300 GT Corsa Revival. Built in Britain by Ray Mallock, Ltd. (same people responsible for the Chevrolet Lacetti and Cruze WTCC as well as Nissan Juke R and Ferrari 550-based RML Short Wheelbase, a tribute to Ferrari 250 GT SWB), which makes my non-existent inner British kind of proud. GBP1.65million though. I would need to commit fraud and crime against humanity to even be able to pay a deposit for one...
  19. G'day All, I've completed adding the rib frames to DKM Karlsruhe and I've added the first strake on each side of the hull. The first time I did this was for my Flower class corvette. That ship had a flat foc'sle deck plus a main deck with considerable sheer aft. So in that case I glued the first strake under the foc'sle deck, from the break in the foc'sle deck to the bow. This hull is the opposite, with a flat main deck. So I decided to fit the first strake under the main deck, starting at the stern and continuing it all the way to the bow. This strake is rather deep, 4mm, and is a pre-cut strip for precision. I started fitting it between the transom stern and the first rib frame, then as the glue dried I moved further along the hull. As I went I glued join-strengtheners of 1.5mm square-section styrene between the strake and the deck edge, between the rib frames. Probably a bit excessive but I thought it important to get this one right as a starting point. That's why this first strake was a pre-cut strip and not a strip I cut from a sheet, the cheaper way of doing it. The hull will be cladded by strakes 0.75mm thick. Thinner styrene is easier to work but due to the limited number of hull rib frames it has a tendency to become straight sections between frames, creating a sort of oil-canning effect. The thicker styrene seems to follow the hull curve better. And speaking of hull curve, I think the hull 'entry' is a bit fine and bow a bit too flared but this was due I think to my rib frames being of dubious accuracy and position, particularly those under the break in the foc'sle deck. I'm going to have to live with it I think. The remainder of the strakes will be cut from a sheet of styrene, will not run the full length of the ship and will be tapered a bit towards each end of the hull. They'll also be narrower than this first strake, to follow the curve around the hull better. Well, that's the plan anyway. So this is it for now. I hope this week-end is peaceful and meaningful for you, what ever your beliefs. Stay safe and regards to all, Jeff.
  20. To be honest, doing my pocket Rodney made my eyes aging for years... Well, using a smart phone by night gives it the rest! Seriously, since I'm in my early forties loosing eye-sight is just a law of nature. It's what my optician said. 🥲 If you change your mind and want to imagine how I built her, you can check out: ...looking forward to see your chef d'oeuvre finished!
  21. Another brilliant job Maddoxx, I really love the way that you have distressed everything, it all looks old and battered, that's good painting from you, well done, excellent work... Ed
  1. Load more activity