All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. I share your hopes for a 1/72 version, but I'm afraid Mark 1 is not the tree to bark up. I'm unaware of any CAD. Mel pushed the idea on Didier at Mach 2 and furnished him a built resin model in 1/72 as a reference. Didier told me that this resin was not a "master," had wings so badly warped they reminded him of FROG Penguin models, and from his description it appears to be AIM's old RugRat Resins kit, with its shape flaws around the cockpit. Regarding next steps: Mach 2 may do this in the next few years, but it is not Didier's priority. AIM will do a printed version in the next few years, hopefully with corrections. But you, I and many others besides would prefer an injection-molded kit.
  3. One of them’s called Wally… Seriously, as Troy says, her pictures are excellent records. The sailors might be a joke, but more likely she saw them for real and thought it would be a nice detail in the finished work — if you were making a diorama of the scene, wouldn’t you put them in to add extra interest? best, M.
  4. Back from Tassie, and on with the build! I decided to get back into it by fitting the wing transparencies. The navigation light and formation light pieces are very nicely formed, and fit very well. I drilled small holes on the inside and filled them with appropriate coloured clear Tamiya paints to depict globes. When this technique works, it works well. When you use too much pressure on the drill bit, and create stress cracks in the clear plastic, it goes like this: I pulled this one off the wing, cut out a bit of acrylic sheet, drilled and painted the hole (more carefully this time!), stuck it back on and sanded and polished to profile. Much better, and I will add the framing when its masked off and primed. The landing light cover is not so good. It fits as well as the other parts, but, strangely, is slightly bulged, akin to a tiny blown canopy hood. There are also two slightly curved recesses moulded on the interior surface. These correspond with the outer diameter of the landing light lens. Perhaps the designer thought that the light needed some clearance, and hedged bets by both reducing the thickness and including a bulge? Anyway, the lens fitted easily, complete with an etched brace from Brengun, and there was enough thickness to allow the clear cover to be sanded and polished flush with the wing leading edge and upper and lower skins. Weird but.
  5. Umm... looking for Sea Hurricanes? 😀 Her work does seem very precise so the Wrens probably were in fact on the premises.
  6. Quick update before I'm off on holiday for 2 weeks. Got the anti glare panel, the red panels on the inner wings, and the black area on the fuselage spine masked off and painted. Also elected to paint the wing tips, as I'm not sure how well the decals would have worked. Also got the main undercarriage ready to install; I don't understand why the Italeri kit has a small gap on top of the fuselage, just before the tail, and also why they provide a clear part to fill it, when this area is all metal.
  7. If the hydraulics aren't attached, it's all the more authentic for an Egyptian example! Not the best at maintenance, I'll just say.
  8. Avspecs is working on the next one already and a recent interview showed the wing together. This Mossie is currently in a hangar down in Wanaka, ready for this weekend's big airshow.
  9. Given the painting skills he's shown off on his builds, I hope he's doing his part and helping out? James
  10. I have never said it would, it is a water colour and will not stand re-wetting and will run, wipe off if aqueous liquids are applied over it. IPA is real killer on it. Oil paints, enamels are fine for washes, rendering etc. As I have already said Mission's customer care and website do them and us no favours. Not the only paint manufacturer to fall into this category. With the poly additive however the paint then becomes more impervious to aqueous liquids, perhaps this is what they mean? I have nothing to do with Mission but once I understood there paints qualities and saw it for what it is, an organic water based paint sans poly additive, then managing its use became quiet simple. I have never regarded Mission as an "acrylic" whatever that may mean in the current modelling lexicon.
  11. That's worked very well, it nicely captures the look of a faded airframe James
  12. Thanks mate Thanks Mark That's high praise coming from a man with your skills James
  13. It'll easily take an FV-432, but a Warrior might be a stretch. It's too bad the UK no longer has the M-109A2 in service, because it could take one of those.
  14. Thanks everyone Regarding the exhaust stains, I spent a lot of time going through my reference books and photos online, and this is actually not that heavy for a 110. There's a lot of photos with stains at least twice as wide (and as dense) out there James
  15. It should get some love any day now, the hop season is done, my weary limbs are just about healed & I'm running out of excuses. I did actually sand back a bit of card I'd glued on the wingtip after removing the kit wingtip tank, the tank from the Platz T-33 has less sticking off it than does the resin photo tank from MAS. Steve.
  16. Top work John. I’m very much enjoying your build. James
  17. Nice work James Its good to see a 110 in desert camo rather than the usual greys. James
  18. From their FAQ, washes section. "No need for a clear barrier coat. (...) MMP paints will accept all types of washes with out damage to the paint. " If it can't stand distilled water, it won't survive a wash made from it. I did suspect it may fall apart under decal softener but I did not expect it to flow down under a water droplet based on their own FAQ. It behaves like gum arabic watercolor. If it is the case, it should be clearly marketed as such.
  19. Hi all, work has been slow on the King. I went online looking for a Haynes manual but at 56 UK Pounds for postage from the US, I balked at that! Len Newman has helped me with some cabin ref photos. Many thanks Len. Missing from the kit is a stowage rack positioned between the radar operators station and the flare rack. I used the large cabin bulkhead from the Mk1 kit option as a guild the the shape of the stowage end panels, the remained was just strips of cut plasticard. I fashioned the cover sheet (not shown) from photocopy paper. There are some other bits o add to the walls and roof, I'll get to them later... I also got he seats assembled and painted. The seat belts are from the Eduard detail set 49-1397. That's all folks, I'm going to concentrate on my Sea Vixen build in the Frog Squad II GB. Colin
  20. You’ve got a great looking 110 there, the weathering looks spot-on to me and the overall impression very realistic.
  21. cockpit tub built up and fuselage closed, used Eduard seatbelts DSC_0005 by grimreaper110, auf Flickr DSC_0006 by grimreaper110, auf Flickr DSC_0007 by grimreaper110, auf Flickr DSC_0008 by grimreaper110, auf Flickr wings also built up, filled some panel lines that weren´t there anymore on the XVIII DSC_0009 by grimreaper110, auf Flickr DSC_0010 by grimreaper110, auf Flickr
  22. @Maddoxx77 My ACE shot kal has rubber tracks and the destructions advise a gloss coat to protect the plastic from chemical reaction with the plastic. Reminded me of something I read years ago along the same lines. My Famos have the same issue so I will gloss those wheels too. Just a thought.
  23. There is also the original Hase B (sold as a J, but it has thin wings), which is utterly terrible. The Airfix and Revell are quite decent regarding shapes, but are - old, and show this.
  24. fuselage halves glued together decided to do the weapon bays closed, less work 😁 DSC_0002 by grimreaper110, auf Flickr DSC_0003 by grimreaper110, auf Flickr the engineering of the wings and vertical stabilizers is a bit unlucky, some unneccesary seams to fill DSC_0004 by grimreaper110, auf Flickr
  1. Load more activity