Interesting Harrier pic from the RAF website

Dave Fleming

It was not that the indians did not want them.

The SHAR's were AIM-120B capable and the US does not want certain comtries to have this so we would have had to have US permision to sell them, I think this was part of the AIM-120 deal.

One SHAR was sold to a guy in the US in flying condition (an ex USMC pilot), this was a trials & Testing airframe and not fitted for AIM-120 and thus OK.

Incidently learned th other day all the RAF aircraft use AIM-120C and they are having to do some sort of upgrade or is it down grade so they can use the ex RN missiles.

Julien

It was not that the indians did not want them.

The SHAR's were AIM-120B capable and the US does not want certain comtries to have this so we would have had to have US permision to sell them, I think this was part of the AIM-120 deal.

I should have been more clear.

The AIM-120 capability would have been stripped out them, as would have Blue Vixen - they would have been supplied to the Indians as training airframes.

The Indians weren't interested in that.

http://www.india-defence.com/reports/2605

Indians didn't want them, so they will all be sold off for scrap/museums/ebay etc

One is being restored to flying condition in the US by an ex-USMC test pilot, I have the link to their website somewhere

I think this is the one Dave: Linky thingy

Incidently learned th other day all the RAF aircraft use AIM-120C and they are having to do some sort of upgrade or is it down grade so they can use the ex RN missiles.

Julien

All the RAF aircraft flying operations will probably be using the AIM-120C4 or 5 variant, but there are plenty of stocks remaining of AIM-120B. The C model is quite a bit better in combat scenarios, so they'd obviously want to use that on real ops, but what then for all the Bs?

Well some will probably be used as practice firings (for practice purposes theres no real difference in how you'd employ the missiles, so for training the B's will do the trick) but the others are being upgraded by raytheon as the AIM-120B+, basically gives the B model some of the enhancements made to the C models seeker head and computer but retains the original full span fins and rocket motor of the AIM-120B.

• 3 weeks later...
All the RAF aircraft flying operations will probably be using the AIM-120C4 or 5 variant, but there are plenty of stocks remaining of AIM-120B. The C model is quite a bit better in combat scenarios, so they'd obviously want to use that on real ops, but what then for all the Bs?

Well some will probably be used as practice firings (for practice purposes theres no real difference in how you'd employ the missiles, so for training the B's will do the trick) but the others are being upgraded by raytheon as the AIM-120B+, basically gives the B model some of the enhancements made to the C models seeker head and computer but retains the original full span fins and rocket motor of the AIM-120B.

Another great MOD procurement issue, get load of missiles for airraft, take that aircraft out of service and then we have to test fire or upgreade the missiles to give a lesser combat performance!

If the MOD was a company it would have closed years ago!

Julien