Hurricane MKIIb : FINISHED

palacefan

I have made a bit of a gaff here as i didnt take any pics before i started it.

My club, IPMS North Somerset, had our monthly day long build meet at the heli museum this Sunday and i took this one along to start.

Diesel Donkey, Livesteamer and Dmpanther were all there and will confirm that i am telling the truth (they better or i want my tenners back ;) )

Here is the days worth of work, as you can see we do alot of talking and not alot of modelling.

It is the Revell 1:72 hurricane mkIIb, and it will have after market decals.

This is a really, really nice kit, and i am going to do there mkIIc of the back of it.

PICT0021.jpg

PICT0024-1.jpg

Edited by palacefan

Quick tip: if you are doing a Hurribomber the bombrack needs reshaping to a canoe section, and only ten guns were carried - the rack covers one of the exit holes for the cases.

I scraped off the attempt at fabric covering on the rear fuselage, it looks better and more accurate without it, and a replacement prop/spinner will improve it. Basically it is a very sound kit.

Thanks for that Graham, i did notice that the holes i opened for the bomb racks were very close to the shell ports.

Finish the vengeance 1st! :D

alright, alright, calm down, calm down. :D

Im waiting for my order of Azure blue from Bill.

The Revell Hurri is a great kit,considering you can get 2 for the cost of 1 Hasegawa Hurri.

Its in the hard grey plastic as well!.Jammy git ,the IIc i got recently is in some horrible pale blue flashy waxy crap plastic!. :( .

Its in the hard grey plastic as well!.Jammy git ,the IIc i got recently is in some horrible pale blue flashy waxy crap plastic!. :( .

I have got the IIc on order, but the plastic doesnt mean alot to me. hard,soft,blue,grey. By the time i have slapped it together the amount of filler out wieghs the plastic anyway. I can make a simple 2007 Tamiya kit go together like a 1960's Starfix, far more work than it should be. :lol: but then its the painting that i enjoy, and although i have soooo much more to learn, it is what i am best at.

Coming after you with the Revell IIc Wayne! The seat just got glued to the cockpit floor...

How's that for speed?

lightning fast :lol: I thought i was getting the IIc as well but i forgot to put it on the order :banghead:

Nevermind, i haveenough to be getting on with.

• 2 weeks later...

over looked the fact that the kit didnt have the trop air filter so i had to make one out of milliput.

correct shape? its close enough for me.

PICT0041.jpg

PICT0043.jpg

PICT0042.jpg

PICT0057-1.jpg

PICT0058-1.jpg

Painted!

PICT0059-1.jpg

PICT0060-1.jpg

PICT0061-1.jpg

and a little bit of weathering experiment

PICT0062-1.jpg

here is what it is supposed to look like.

Hurricanes_Page_41_Converted.jpg

Edited by palacefan

• 2 weeks later...

Weathering done, all i need now is the Grey letters that are on order and then a flat coat and the exhaust stains and it is finished.

As the green is painted over the dark earth (it came from North Africa. Note the serials with original colour behind) i tried to fade and chip the light stone more. And the green was chipped to dark earth and a little less metal than the light stone.

PICT0095.jpg

PICT0096.jpg

PICT0098.jpg

PICT0097.jpg

What have i missed?!?!?!?

Looks great to me Wayne, though with the weathering it might be an idea to weather the mainwheels, unless the ground crew have just fitted new tyres !

Cheers

Den

probably not a repaint: Tropical Land scheme called for Dark Green and Mid Stone. That the Dark Green is around the cockpit makes it likely to be that - on the Desert scheme the Mid Stone is around the cockpit.

But that wasn't a Hurribomber - it was a pure fighter. In those days the Blenheims did the bombing.

Edited by Graham Boak

I wouldnt know enough about it Graham, all I can do is go by what i find in books and on the net. And this one if you look at the pictures I am using, shows dark earth under the serial number where the green now is. As for the bombing, I was under the understanding that by 1943 the hurricane were past thier best as fighters and were used as ground attack more than anything else. I dont know if this particular aircraft carried bombs, but i wanted it to so i put them on. Call it artistic licence ;)

I wouldnt know enough about it Graham, all I can do is go by what i find in books and on the net. And this one if you look at the pictures I am using, shows dark earth under the serial number where the green now is. As for the bombing, I was under the understanding that by 1943 the hurricane were past thier best as fighters and were used as ground attack more than anything else. I dont know if this particular aircraft carried bombs, but i wanted it to so i put them on. Call it artistic licence ;)

Yes, but that aircraft is early 1942, based at Rangoon before the initial retreat. The Hurricane stayed in use as the RAF's main fighter until Spitfire Mk.Vs arrived for the second battle of Arakan. Spring 1944? Not sure about that without digging out books, not up on timings of the monsoon season.

The plan in the thread actually says Tropical Land scheme, nothing about repainting from Desert. The one colour they would - and later did - overpaint with Dark Green was the Mid Stone, not the Dark Earth. Which pictures are you using? In Eyes for the Phoenix this aircraft is described as being "Bunny" Stone's aircraft and in the Desert scheme (but with reversed colours, if so). It doesn't look to have any different colour behind the serial to me, but it isn't the finest of prints.

The plan in the thread actually says Tropical Land scheme, nothing about repainting from Desert.

yes it does.

Edited by palacefan

Finished.

Thanks to everyone who showed an interest and helped.

its a bit wonky in a certain area but i enjoyed the build and am happy with the end result.

PICT0119.jpg

PICT0120.jpg

PICT0121.jpg

PICT0122.jpg

PICT0123.jpg

PICT0124.jpg