Hawker Seahawk FGA Mk.6 (Trumpeter 1:48)

Mike

As with every other build I've seen you turn out Mike, nice work. Saw this kit when I was wandering round the model shop in Elgin the other day and having seen how you've got on with her I wish I'd taken one home now.

At this rate you'll run out of projects and be back to the Valiant :lol:

Nice (and speedy) build so far..... where do you find the time, I've looked all around my place and there isn't any spare-time anywhere !

Ian

Nice (and speedy) build so far..... where do you find the time, I've looked all around my place and there isn't any spare-time anywhere !

Ian

Give me your address, and I'll send some of my spare time over ;)

Generally, I have 2 evenings for modelling a week, and if I'm lucky one day at the weekend. All of which are when Caz is out teaching dog training, or walking the muppet with her walking group. It's a great way of keeping harmony, I find. I've been off tom & dick for the last 2 weeks too, but I spent almost the whole of the first week asleep, and only did a few hours modelling a day for the latter half of this week, when I was starting to feel a bit better. I think what may give the appearance of speed is the fact that I'm doing work on at least 2 and sometimes 3 kits at once. F'rinstance, today, I oversprayed the sky on the Seahawk to soften the pre-shading a little further, set that aside, masked up the canopy on my Hawk, sprayed that, the Kleared it, peeled it & admired my handiwork :D Then I got the Skyshark parts out of their box, installed the flap actuating hinges, and set that aside to dry before I install the flaps.

Now I'm just adding the landing gear to the Hawk, while I have a look at how I'm going to attach the three auxilliary fuel tanks to the Skyshark. I've also been contemplating what to start next, as the Hawk is probably going to be finished this week, and I need my "building" fix. :wacko:

Looks great Mike - all these quality builds I find myself being tempted back to the dark side of 1/48 jets!

Do it Nev! Are you not in the GB yet? You've still got 2 months to start & complete an entry, you know ;)

I masked up the undersides of the main airframe, wings, and canopy this afternoon, then sprayes a patchy coat of Xtracrylix RAF Dark Sea Grey, which I then laid down a thicker harmonising coat, so that the pre-shading just barely shows beneath the paint. I'm quite pleased with the results, but I need to touch up the wingtips, as neither of them has full coverage :rolleyes:

airframe1.jpg

airframe2.jpg

I've got a few bits of airframe to spray metal on this & the Skyshark, so when I've raised myself from my deathbed tomorrow, I'll mask up & spray those too. You wouldn't believe how much sweat's pouring out of me while I'm just doing a simple thing like modelling... :eww: I bet I smell bad :sick:

Looking good Mike, might just tempt me into the 48th scale with this one...

Karl.

Join us, Join us, Join us, Join us, Join us, Join us, Join us :wicked:

Do it Nev! Are you not in the GB yet? You've still got 2 months to start & complete an entry, you know ;)

No - my 60s stash is actually surprisingly small, mainly Airfix 1/48 Lightnings ;) and I couldn't source a T-Bird conversion to build the T.4 chase plane for the TSR2 that I wanted to do - and I want to finish my Crusader II and Avenger first. Then I've got the Trumpeter 1/32 SBD-1 awaiting me :evil_laugh:

No - my 60s stash is actually surprisingly small, mainly Airfix 1/48 Lightnings ;) and I couldn't source a T-Bird conversion to build the T.4 chase plane for the TSR2 that I wanted to do - and I want to finish my Crusader II and Avenger first. Then I've got the Trumpeter 1/32 SBD-1 awaiting me :evil_laugh:

Odd... my T-bird conversion came through from Neomega about a week after ordering :) It's very nice with loads of detail. If anything, the weak point is the forward fuselage shell, which is typical short run injection styrene and consequentially a bit vague, with an Aeroclub logo on the inside - it's a collaboration afterall ;)

my T-bird conversion came through from Neomega about a week after ordering

Are they back up and running now? As for the Aeroclub conversion bits, I've already done one and very easy it was too. "Ideal first conversion project" was Uncle Bill's assesment in SAMI, and he was right :)

Are they back up and running now? As for the Aeroclub conversion bits, I've already done one and very easy it was too. "Ideal first conversion project" was Uncle Bill's assesment in SAMI, and he was right :)

Yeah, I ordered mine around the time someone (may have been you) found out they'd closed down production. Clearly, it was just production, and they must have had the stuff I needed in stock. I ordered mine there & then so that even if they didn't have them in stock, I'd be somewhere near the beginning of the queue when the conveyor started moving again. :)

I masked up the undersides of the main airframe, wings, and canopy this afternoon, then sprayes a patchy coat of Xtracrylix RAF Dark Sea Grey,

I thought they were EXTRA Dark Sea Grey, however I am also known to be, frequently very wrong. Whatever, that is a very cool looking machine. Getting impatient to see it completed.

Ian

I thought they were EXTRA Dark Sea Grey, however I am also known to be, frequently very wrong. Whatever, that is a very cool looking machine. Getting impatient to see it completed.

Ian

That's what the color call-outs on the instuctions said for me to paint it... I'm just doing as I'm told :weep:

Hmm, off-hand I'd go for the EDSG as well. That's what every other FAA machine of that and subsequent eras seems to have been painted with only a few exceptions. Sorry mate, I know that's not what you want to hear but at least it's easier to fix now than later.

Hmm, off-hand I'd go for the EDSG as well. That's what every other FAA machine of that and subsequent eras seems to have been painted with only a few exceptions. Sorry mate, I know that's not what you want to hear but at least it's easier to fix now than later.

Hmm... will check what it says, and also check what I used... :hmmm:

:hmmm: Instructions do say Dark Sea Grey, Which after checking is the correct number H331 in the Gunze Sangyo range. Has someone stuffed up, or what?

All the other kits I have are EDSG <_< What's going on 'ere then?

Odd... this build from HS shows it a very similar shade to mine... :hmmm:

seahawkjv_title.jpg

...and this shot from a walkaround seems to back up my color choice:

Seahawk_207.jpg

What's goin' on 'ere then?

This one is a bit darker, but I could claim "scale effect" on the paint ;)

clicky

Using preserved/restored aircraft as reference for a model needs to be taken with a pinch of salt. Especially aircraft that have been sitting outside can fade - as indeed the Sea Hawk in the pic above - even the top of the tailfin is a pink shade...

Jens

Its a gaff on the kit instructions - it should be BS381C 640 Extra Dark Sea Grey.

That said, BS381C 638 Dark Sea Grey would give a weathered scale effect!

I'm with Jonathan! :D You could tell I didn't want to re-paint it, couldn't you? :lol: I think that with the addition of a panel wash, and in contrast with the decals, it'll look dark enough to be a slightly shabby looking Seahawk ;)