NIMROD ALERT

entlim

In the test shot build in SAMI, in one photo, there's a large gap in the wing root/fuselage join - that said he's only taped the kit together with Tamiya masking tape. In the build itself this has totally disappeared. "The wing roots would need filler". Although I would think that an internal sprue spacer may work?

I had one customer in the shop today commenting about this kit looking like it may be a poor fitting kit (just like the TSR2(sic)!!).

Additional comments from the review: "Airfix supply a wide range of ordnance for the bomb bay, this includes sonobuoy launcher, two types of torpedo, a Harpoon ASM, and what I assume are depth charges", and "........Internal areas like the bomb bay...are disappointingly sparse" ??

I'm now just waiting for the feedback from a certain other modelling website.............. :popcorn: :

Overall though the comments seem favourable and the model looks gorgeous in its two tone grey scheme...

Edited by Bill Clark

The bomb bay way be provided with a nice set of weapons however its completely wrong. And i can`t understand the attempt at detail in the wheel wells as when Nimrod`s on the ground the doors are shut so you`d never see anything in of the wheel bays.

As per usual the mongerers of doom will be gathering and judging a kit before they get their hands and eyes on one. Happens every time a long awaited kit is due for release. I find it rather amusing and a bit sad. :rolleyes:

In the test shot build in SAMI, in one photo, there's a large gap in the wing root/fuselage join - that said he's only taped the kit together with Tamiya masking tape. In the build itself this has totally disappeared. "The wing roots would need filler". Although I would think that an internal sprue spacer may work?

I had one customer in the shop today commenting about this kit looking like it may be a poor fitting kit (just like the TSR2(sic)!!).

Additional comments from the review: "Airfix supply a wide range of ordnance for the bomb bay, this includes sonobuoy launcher, two types of torpedo, a Harpoon ASM, and what I assume are depth charges", and "........Internal areas like the bomb bay...are disappointingly sparse" ??

I'm now just waiting for the feedback from a certain other modelling website.............. :popcorn: :

Overall though the comments seem favourable and the model looks gorgeous in its two tone grey scheme...

The kit looked gorgeous at Telford and here http://www.hyperscale.com/2008/galleries/nimrod72sp_1.htm

Stephen

As ever, I'll judge for myself when I get the kit, rather than rely on model magazine pundits. I doubt if many of us need to be told whether a Nimrod kit is good, bad or indifferent, do we?!

"........Internal areas like the bomb bay...are disappointingly sparse" ??

If I read it correctly the reviewer was saying that the inside of the gear & bomb bay doors were sparse. I've now decided not to buy this kit as it doesn't contain parts for the MRA4 - what are Airfix thinking??!! :P

My two pen'orth,

if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, looks like a duck

then there's a damn good chance it IS a duck!

Saw the test shots at Telford, and YEP it looked like a Nimrod to my eyes.

Stop moaning, start building and be grateful YOU havn't paid for the moulds.

Paul

My two pen'orth,

if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, looks like a duck

then there's a damn good chance it IS a duck!

Saw the test shots at Telford, and YEP it looked like a Nimrod to my eyes.

Stop moaning, start building and be grateful YOU havn't paid for the moulds.

Paul

Look, no-one has ever produced one- stop whining,rollon aftermarket...

The bomb bay way be provided with a nice set of weapons however its completely wrong. And i can`t understand the attempt at detail in the wheel wells as when Nimrod`s on the ground the doors are shut so you`d never see anything in of the wheel bays.

They did the same on the TSR2 :shrug:

I wouldn't normally add any comment on a reviewer's review. He's done a good job in building it, and he's tried to his review in a balanced way. His remarks on the fit isues are an honest assessement on what he discovered while building it. That said, this was a test shot, and there's no photos' of the gap (in the wing root) once everything has been nailed together-only when taped together with tamiya masking tape - hardly scientific but there you have it!.

The point I was trying to make was that some people will see this as a flaw (as witnessed today in the shop). In reality its dead easy to fix (if there is a problem - Spencer Pollard didn't encounter any -as far as I can recall in his review). ....

Roll on next month when we can get our mitts on the beasties....though a cautionary spanner in the works...maybe.........................

I ordered (from Hornby) 20 Dr Who Tardis sets in November - I was promised that I'd get them at the beginning of December - and they haven't turned up yet! I've since cancelled that order and asked for six, and still no sign, yet the model shop 10 miles from here has 20 (maybe he got mine!) AND Hannants are still listing them as "future releases"! Another retailer on here had some before Christmas!!!

This begs the question..If Hornby can't meet demands (from ALL of the trade- and I'd think Hannants would be high up the list) for the Tardis sets - what will happen when the Nimrods (And Canberra's) are due?????

If I read it correctly the reviewer was saying that the inside of the gear & bomb bay doors were sparse. I've now decided not to buy this kit as it doesn't contain parts for the MRA4 - what are Airfix thinking??!! :P

Well there's no hurry as the RAF probably won't get them for another 10 years anyway!!!!

Well there's no hurry as the RAF probably won't get them for another 10 years anyway!!!!

If at all. I read the other day that, following the current problems with the MR2' in service, the whole MRA4 project may be in jeapordy.

If at all. I read the other day that, following the current problems with the MR2' in service, the whole MRA4 project may be in jeapordy.

Nimrod AEW all over again.... Another Lord knows how many billions down the swanny. Will we ever learn?

Hmm.. and yet an An124 just moved MR2-XV246 from Wadders to Woodford 3 weeks ago........for conversion

Edited by entlim

Don't know what you've been reading but the MRA4 is very much on track and will enter service as advertised. Despite all the press hype there's actually nothing wrong with the MR2 either - it's just old, but the problem is (as usual) the government not giving the MoD enough money to give it the proper servicing and maintenance it requires, that's all. As for the Nimrod kit including parts for the MRA4, well there was never any chance of that as it would basically require a new kit - there would only be the fuselage left and even that would need to be modified!

Think the lesson here - as always - is to take any magazine kit reviews with a big pinch of salt. Just because something published in SAMI or whatever doesn't mean it's necessarily true. All that has happened is someone has built a kit, taken a few snaps and said what he thinks. He might be right or he might be talking nonsense and the magazine editors never attempt to make any judgement on this point - and it's worth remembering that at all times!

Edited by Tim

Don't know what you've been reading but the MRA4 is very much on track and will enter service as advertised. Despite all the press hype there's actually nothing wrong with the MR2 either - it's just old, but the problem is (as usual) the government not giving the MoD enough money to give it the proper servicing and maintenance it requires, that's all. As for the Nimrod kit including parts for the MRA4, well there was never any chance of that as it would basically require a new kit - there would only be the fuselage left and even that would need to be modified!

Think the lesson here - as always - is to take any magazine kit reviews with a big pinch of salt. Just because something published in SAMI or whatever doesn't mean it's necessarily true. All that has happened is someone has built a kit, taken a few snaps and said what he thinks. He might be right or he might be talking nonsense and the magazine editors never attempt to make any judgement on this point - and it's worth remembering that at all times!

Nothing wrong with the MR2????? The MR4 on track???

Fourteen dead from XV230,the whole fleet having to be be avoid air- to air refuelling and the MR4 is how many years late and how much over budget.

Stephen

As for the Nimrod kit including parts for the MRA4, well there was never any chance of that as it would basically require a new kit - there would only be the fuselage left and even that would need to be modified!

I think Graham T was being a touch mischievous when he suggested that. The possibility of trying to get an MR.4 from the 1/2 tooling was looked into at the early, but rejected as the number of changes would have meant almost an entirely new kit.

I think Graham T was being a touch mischievous when he suggested that. The possibility of trying to get an MR.4 from the 1/2 tooling was looked into at the early, but rejected as the number of changes would have meant almost an entirely new kit.

Yes Jonathan's right (my humour :tumble: ). So now, with the MRA4 scheduled into service in 2012, we can look forward to the Airfix MRA4 in say 2052! I've preorderd from Hannants.