Spotty Orange Paratrooper

Notdoneyet

Thanks for the kind comments guys.

Well I've taken a step backwards I'm afraid :( I wasn't very happy with the grey of the runway base and the joins in the paper that I used were too difficult to hide/disguise. So .................. out came the jackhammers and the runway was dug up and a new one constructed. This time I looked at my printer settings and saw that it could print long sheets as long as they were no higher than an A4 page. So I got a large sheet of white card from an art shop and cut out a 8" x 22" section, adjusted the grey of my runway to a darker hue in Photoshop and printed it on the card.

Here's the finished article mounted to the base with spray glue :-

DSC00605.jpg

The result is much better IMHO and I am a lot happier with this (final) version than the previous one.

Now I can crack on with undercarriage and small "fiddly bits" that I enjoy so much :fraidnot:

Thanks for looking,

Ian

You can see the shape of the font better if you switch your view to Google maps. It's a little more crispy, and shows up the individual pans of concrete too, which might be fun to include for a little more detail? :)

Looks good... but...wrong font for the runway numbers :analintruder:

http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=52.642853&a...r=0&src=msl

I shall now withdraw rapidly...

Bet you looked to see if it really was runway 24 :winkgrin:

You can see the shape of the font better if you switch your view to Google maps. It's a little more crispy, and shows up the individual pans of concrete too, which might be fun to include for a little more detail? :)

Ahhhhh :-

1) The runway has since been resurfaced - it's in progress in the Google satellite image.

2) If it hadn't been resurfaced and the pans of concrete were still visible the "little more detail" would be blurred by the "motion", thereby rendering it invisible :winkgrin:

Before you do that look a little further along the runway :D

Guys,

The runway resurfacing that is in progress on the Google Map view obviously happened later than the Flash Earth view. The result of the resurfacing was that the runway markings were repainted using the font I have used :P

Cheers,

Ian

Bet you looked to see if it really was runway 24 :winkgrin:

Nah, I was standing next to it at the time the last Jag came in so I was well aware you'd got that right :)

If you get frustrated with the chute, mash it up and say it was at this moment...

jagmad148.jpg

Nah, I was standing next to it at the time the last Jag came in so I was well aware you'd got that right :)

If you get frustrated with the chute, mash it up and say it was at this moment...

Damien,

I knew you were there , I was just pulling your leg.

I've finished the 'chute (and the drogue) and painted them and they look ok - they might yet end up like your photo though due to my clumsiness and innate ability to create a (bigger) screw up ....

Cheers,

Ian

• 5 weeks later...

Wow, almost a month since the last update and all I have is a couple of photos showing the current state of the U/C legs and front door :shrug: I hate the "fiddly stuff" and getting the legs to their current state has been very fiddly and time consuming. In particular getting the "dangly" inflight geometry to look ok has been a challenge requiring the removal of many kit parts and replacement with scratch built items.

DSC00631.jpg

Better photo of MLG legs :-

DSC00633.jpg

Next up will be finishing the MLG doors and then splashing some paint on the "fiddly bits" and attaching them plus the flaps 'n slats. With a bit of luck we may just stagger over the finish line in time .............

All comments and criticism welcomed.

Ian

The legs look great Ian. Well worth all the hard work. Looking forward to seeing this one in all it's glory :speak_cool:

Gary.

Cheers Gary, I think you're the first person to ever say I've got great looking legs :winkgrin:

Continuing with the "leggy" theme - I feel like a marathon runner on his last legs who can see the finish line but has just passed the one mile to go marker ..... I'm now ruing the month long hiatus I took when motivation to finish ebbed .............

So while glue and paint dry here is the current status. The U/C and doors are now complete :-

DSC00634.jpg

Flaps and slats are now on too :-

DSC00637.jpg

The eagle eyed observers will have noticed the "debris field" just to the right of the U/C bits at the top of the last picture. They are all of the aerials, actuators and, oh yes, the 16 sway braces for the pylons, that require painting and fitting this evening to give me a chance of finishing by the deadline. Thank God for acrylics!! Hopefully the next update will be the finished article and will come before midnight (BST I assume Gary/Col?) tomorrow .........

Cheers,

Ian

Hopefully the next update will be the finished article and will come before midnight (BST I assume Gary/Col?) tomorrow .........

Ian - Great looking Jag and excellent work on the u/c - midnight your region will do just fine. Would hate to get that anal :analintruder:

I said Id be watching on and off Ian, and from what Ive seen she looks bloomin marvellous matey :thumbsup2:

Bexy

Thanks Bex and a huge thank you to all who have commented on this build, your feedback is much appreciated.

So it is finished - FINALLY!!! The thought of all of the "fiddly bits" drained my motivation for a while but I got there in the end. So here are some pics of the finished article, apologies fpr the "patchy" backdrop <_< must get more sheets of the same colour tomorrow ......

Underside prior to mounting on base :-

DSC00638.jpg

Almost down .........

DSC00640.jpg

More photos in the Jag GB Finish Line thread here.

Many thanks again to all who offered comments, support and who view this WIP.

Cheers :drink: ,

Ian

Edited by Notdoneyet

Many thanks for the kind comments, they are much appreciated :)

That's come out really well, most impressed! Get that nose down a bit though!

Damien, far be it for me to tell a Wg Cdr how to fly his Jag but I've told mini JS to push the stick forward a little :winkgrin: ............. Actually in my haste to take the pics last night I'd pushed the Jag too far down the acrylic rod. I've repositioned her now to have a shallower AOA and will get some more background card this afternoon (cats visit to the vets permitting) and will take some (hopefully better?) photos later.

Thanks once again for the feedback.

Ian

Yep, that's brilliant. Just brilliant!! Great build, stunning paint job & a dramatic display (it'll be even better when he gets his nose down & isn't living on the edge of the stall!!)

Excellent work all round Ian!! :thumbsup:

Keef