keeping paint brush tips fine - and together. How?

John B (Sc)

Help.

Although I use both paintbrushes and airbrushes sometimes, I always hand paint my canopies.

It doesn't seem to matter how careful I am about cleaning brushes in several washs of thinner and washing them out etc., eventually the tips refuse to hold a fine point any more, which makes them useless for canopy work.

Better quality brushes may last for perhaps a year, cheaper ones maybe six months. The brushs are still in good condition, just won't keep the point. Most frustrating.

Does anyone know of a way of preventing this loss of fine point happening, or am I just being a grippy Scot ?

I mostly use artist's brushes; it doesn't seem to matter whether they are described as being for oils or not.

Any suggestions welcome.

Help.

Although I use both paintbrushes and airbrushes sometimes, I always hand paint my canopies.

It doesn't seem to matter how careful I am about cleaning brushes in several washs of thinner and washing them out etc., eventually the tips refuse to hold a fine point any more, which makes them useless for canopy work.

Better quality brushes may last for perhaps a year, cheaper ones maybe six months. The brushs are still in good condition, just won't keep the point. Most frustrating.

Does anyone know of a way of preventing this loss of fine point happening, or am I just being a grippy Scot ?

I mostly use artist's brushes; it doesn't seem to matter whether they are described as being for oils or not.

Any suggestions welcome.

Dunno about the brushes John- but please keep hold of the duff ones you have and give to me at the next model show- I can use them for poking some on the inmates here in the eyes :poke:

After i used the brush and clean it with the thinner (i.e. water, tamiya thinner, white spirit etc), i was them with warm water and dish washer.

And don't laugh.... :rofl:

...and dont hink that i am :mental: or :w***:

for the good and expencive ones i use a bit of a hair conditioner.....

I said do not laugh!!!! :rant:

Try it and you will see what i mean

:thumbsup:

A couple of things to be careful of.

1. NEVER scrub the paint brushes on the bottom of the thinners jar, or on the paper towel after cleaning... it'll ruin them very quickly.
  2. Always paint in smooth brush strokes, away from the point.
  3. Store brushes point up. I find that a little bit of spit on your thumb & forefinger tips, used to re-shape the head before you put it away helps to keep the brush in shape.
  4. Try not to get paint all the way up the bristles & into the ferrule. If you do, and the brush eventually stiffens, despite cleaning, dip the brush in cellulose thinners, then dab it brush gently, side-on onto some kitchen towel until the thinners runs clean. Re-shape the head with the previous tip, and it should be ok.
  5. If you're not using a brush for a long time, you can also smear some petroleum jelly on the bristles, then shape it to a fine point. The PJ can be removed by a dip in cellulose thinners as in the tip above. Good for storing brushes.

Brushes wear out, but if you're paying twice as much for a good one and it lasts twice as long, keep buying those, because your results will be better. :)

I also used to protect the bristles by cutting a short length of flexible fuel tubing and placing bristles and ferrule inside..

Most of the brushes I buy (good ones) come with a bristle protector, so I just keep those. Good tip for those that don't though...

Thanks Guys.

I do most of those things mentioned, but not all. (When I remember!)

Some good tips there.

- I suspect that some occasional thinners jar 'scrubbing' may be part of my trouble.

- I'll try that petroleum jelly trick - I've used soap as a way to hold a point when storing brushes, without much success.

PJ may work better.

- (Yes I always wash out thinners with liquid soap and warm w ater - helps a lot I think.) I don't think you're loopy)

- Poking inmates in the eyes, hmmm. You need to get out more, chum !

I find old fine brushes handy for the dust cleaning which the delicate bits of models seem to need far too often !

Cheers all.

Another old artists trick which I use, when I've cleaned the brushes and given them a wash in warm slightly soapy water, I finally roll the hairy bit round in my mouth, gets and holds a lovely point for the next time you use the brush, might sound a bit :sick: but it really works, I then keep the brush in the bristle protector that are supplied with some brushes.

T-Tango Posted Today, 03:02 PM

Another old artists trick which I use, when I've cleaned the brushes and given them a wash in warm slightly soapy water, I finally roll the hairy bit round in my mouth, gets and holds a lovely point for the next time you use the brush, might sound a bit but it really works, I then keep the brush in the bristle protector that are supplied with some brushes.

I do exactly the same. you cant beet a bit of spit.

Another old artists trick which I use, when I've cleaned the brushes and given them a wash in warm slightly soapy water, I finally roll the hairy bit round in my mouth, gets and holds a lovely point for the next time you use the brush, might sound a bit :sick: but it really works, I then keep the brush in the bristle protector that are supplied with some brushes.

Didn't want to mention that one (even though I do it) in case I got sued from people ingesting too much thinners :sick:

At your own risk, boys & girls ;)

Didn't want to mention that one (even though I do it) in case I got sued from people ingesting too much thinners :sick:

At your own risk, boys & girls ;)

Yeh, but I did say Mike, AFTER I've washed the brush in warm soapy water.

I do the spit thing too... Spit on the table (- chest infection days) dip me wick in the snot and finger it into a nice crisp point. Allow to dry and Robert's ya father's brother.

Bobby Von Snotbrush

Trust you to lower the tone on this one Bobsie me ol' Buckle, we were trying to keep it pure and clean. :wicked:

Pete von Pureandinnocent

Try not to get paint all the way up the bristles & into the ferrule. If you do, and the brush eventually stiffens, despite cleaning, dip the brush in cellulose thinners, then dab it brush gently, side-on onto some kitchen towel until the thinners runs clean. Re-shape the head with the previous tip, and it should be ok.

Mike, this is almost impossible with Black paint, it's so dark in there, you can't see how far down the brush is going :o

a little paintbrush LED invention would be a fantastic addition to the ferrule of the paint brush

I bought a bottle of Windsor and Newton "brush restorer for dried oils and acrylics" at my local art store and this stuff is really good. For alot of my older brushes that I thought were beyond repair I just poured some in a jar, bundled up a bunch of brushes in a rubber band, put a lolly stick through the bundle at right angles to the brushes and allowed them to soak for an hour. The lolly stick keeps the bristles up off the bottom of the jar. It loosens up all the old paint really effective on acrylic crusted stuff, and you can use your fingernail to dig out the old paint, wipe on a rag, roll em in your mouth, and as good as new.

Also wondered if this stuff would work as an effective thinners for acrylics, it doesn't, so I've done the research for you on that one!