Jet nub here looking for help..

Rabspat

Hey guys/gals,

I need major help on this one. My very close friend has asked me to build him a Tornado GR.1 1/72 kit, he already got me the Revell kit. He wants me to dress it up for him, personnal from looking at the kit the pit looks fine and prob won't need a Resin pit but i am venturing to guess i'm wrong on this. Is there anything i should watch out for in construction? Also he wants 617 Sqn, now i'm a props guy so i could'nt tell you if 617 Sqn flys a Tornado or a flock of ducks. Is there any decals out there for this Sqn?? Second paint he says he wants it in 2 tone grey, now this i also have no idea about what Xtracrylic numbers would i need for this scheme? I personnaly think the grey green looks sweet but thats prob the WW2 camo talking.

I'm sorry if some of this don't make sense like i said i'm a prop guy so this modern talk means nothing to me, any help would be really cool.

Edited by Rabspat

Hey guys/gals,

I need major help on this one. My very close friend has asked me to build him a Tornado GR.1 1/72 kit, he already got me the Revell kit. He wants me to dress it up for him, personnal from looking at the kit the pit looks fine and prob won't need a Resin pit but i am venturing to guess i'm wrong on this. Is there anything i should watch out for in construction? Also he wants 617 Sqn, now i'm a props guy so i could'nt tell you if 617 Sqn flys a Tornado or a flock of ducks. Is there any decals out there for this Sqn?? Second paint he says he wants it in 2 tone grey, now this i also have no idea about what Xtracrylic numbers would i need for this scheme? I personnaly think the grey green looks sweet but thats prob the WW2 camo talking.

I'm sorry if some of this don't make sense like i said i'm a prop guy so this modern talk means nothing to me, any help would be really cool.

I can help you on one point: 617 do fly Tornados and have done since they reformed many years ago.

For the 2 x greys scheme you want Dark Camouflage Grey & Dark Sea Grey. Can't recall the Xtracolour nos. but they are available "by name". As regards decals, I'm sure that 617 squadron would be available in either the Xtradecal or Model Alliance ranges. Search Hannants website.

Careful with the intakes and front-to-rear fuselage joins. Do a lot of testing/dry-fitting here and don't feel obliged to follow the instructions to the letter! Some care needs to be taken in the 'pit too, especially with the covering over the rear IP. The seats are said to be a bit iffy, but I mask mine with pilots - which gives some new problems.

I haven't actually finished one yet by the way.

:viking:

The Revell Tornado is a very nice kit, certainly you won't need a resin pit just a bit of tidying up and you might want to think about changing the seats for some aftermarket altenatives of your chice: I used Airwaves seats in mine they look a slightly undersized but I'm not sure if it's the cockpit or the seats. Much has been written about the shape of the nose but it looks "right" to me, two things you might want to do is shorten the nosewheel slightly as I think it sits a slightly too high but again that's personal preference and if you decide to close the airbrakes you might want to remove the moulded floor of the airbrake bay so they sit flush with the fuselage itself: a quick dryfit should illustrate what I mean.

You'll also need to find some aftermarket decals for a grey Tornado as the kit decals are only for a grey/green GR1, the biggest snag is that the grey scheme was introduced when the aircraft was upgraded to the GR4 version so you will need to add the FLIR pod under the aircraft's nose and fill the port cannon muzzle as the GR4 is only fitted with one cannon.

The aircraft are now Dark Sea Grey (BS381C.638) and Dark Camouflage Grey (BS381C.629) which are available from Xtracolor and Xtracrylix depending on your preferences. Some aircraft now fitted with grey radomes so check your references.

HTH

Richard

You'll also need to find some aftermarket decals for a grey Tornado as the kit decals are only for a grey/green GR1, the biggest snag is that the grey scheme was introduced when the aircraft was upgraded to the GR4 version so you will need to add the FLIR pod under the aircraft's nose and fill the port cannon muzzle as the GR4 is only fitted with one cannon.
There's decals for ZA462 in grey/grey camo and 17 sqn markings included in the RoG GR.1 boxing.

:viking: