Tornado identification

AnonymousDFB1

Posted this elsewhere on the forum but got no responce so trying here, sorry.

Now then Big bird hasn't lost the plot, but just recently I seem to have picked up a number of Tornados. Both diecast and plastic. Now I have this fanciful notion of making one at some point but I would like to paint it up as the aircraft of Pablo Mason from the Gulf war (1991) . I can find lots of photos of nose are but can find no reference to the pilots of each aircraft.

Now the annoying thing is I had Pablo's book but lent it to someone and never seen it since angrysoapbox.sml.gif And I'm sure there was lots of pics and detail that I would need.

Can any of you Tonka fans out there help please?

Did you know that only weeks after returning to Bruggen from the Gulf, his GR.1 crashed and he ejected safely? Interesting year for him that

Yep found that out as well. Also his run in for letting someone on the flight deck now his a civi jet pilot, and he striped to his Y fronts in protest at the new security at airports. He is a real character.

Now that Mish have her answers, I'll just hijack her thread for a bit of info if possible :D

Does anyone have pictures of the ALARM launch rail mounted on the outside of the inboard pylon? Drawings would be nice too. The few pictures I have seen seem to suggest it's different from the AAM-rails on the F.3, but they're not good enough to scratchbuild from.

TIA

:viking:

Just a thought. As the aircraft were pooled across bases would crews be assigned to a particular aircraft or would the aircraft be cab ranked on the basis of availability: I believe this is the same process applies during normal squadron operations but I'd guess that one of the RAF types on the site can give you a more qualified answer though.

Richard

not a great view of them but i think it looks like the same rails but the Alarm has its own rail as well
Better pics than I've previously seen! It looks different to me - the ALARM and its rail is attached to an adaptor which attaches to the pylon by a horisontal, err, pylon, not an angled one like on the F.3. While your pic's are great Tom, they are unfortunately not enough to start scratching anything accurate-ish. The loadout shown in the pics are more or less how I want to do an upcoming Goldstar, save for the TIALD - although that does add something extra :)

No doubt....Goldstar is a beauty.....But think of her with the Brimstone,Alarm, Tiald loadout.......Nice
Let me just clarify, that by Goldstar I mean a 31sqn line-bird, not the one in the airshow-livery - although she is quite easy on the eyes too :wub:

Better pics than I've previously seen! It looks different to me - the ALARM and its rail is attached to an adaptor which attaches to the pylon by a horisontal, err, pylon, not an angled one like on the F.3. While your pic's are great Tom, they are unfortunately not enough to start scratching anything accurate-ish. The loadout shown in the pics are more or less how I want to do an upcoming Goldstar, save for the TIALD - although that does add something extra :)

I'll check thru my PC & upload

Just a thought. As the aircraft were pooled across bases would crews be assigned to a particular aircraft or would the aircraft be cab ranked on the basis of availability: I believe this is the same process applies during normal squadron operations but I'd guess that one of the RAF types on the site can give you a more qualified answer though.

Richard

I have read Pablo's book (Good read, very intresting. ) and he states that his favorite jet was "Debbie" ZD790 and he tried to fly her when he flew his missions. This aircraft features a small car penguin on the nose after London zoo named a bird at the zoo after him.

Shaun.

Edited by Shaun