My entry Yamaha YZRM1 Moto GP bike :FINISHED:

desmojen

Thankyou Sean and Karl :D

I have primed the bodywork and rubbed most of it down again which was largely succesful. I painted the front mudguard red using Tamiya X-7 acrylic. I thinned it with cellulose thinners as recommended by :worthy: Neil :worthy: and it worked a treat. I left that overnight to dry and have now decalled it, Kleared it and attached it.

Hopefully I'll get half a chance to get the bodywork painted over the next few nights.......

Jen.

Edited by desmojen

Just painted the first bits of bodywork (not even started themain fairing yet!). I used Zero paints which are as follows - white groundcoat, white basecoat and clear laquer. All are supplied pre thinned and ready for use. I have to say they went on very well and so far I'm happy with how it has come out.

The laquer is very fast drying so you need to be positive and fairly liberal to get a decent finish, I imagine painting a whole car bodyshell with the stuff would be awkward.

326583620.jpg

326583666.jpg

Sorry about the pics. Me and my camera are rubbish at photographing white things :shrug: You can't really see the pearl effect in the photos either, but at least you can see progress and shininess :D

Jen.

Is that the paint from Zeropaints Jen?

Is it any good? As i wouldn't mind some of their Tyre Black paint!!

Bike's looking nice, i'd like to make their new Yamaha kit, looks excelent!!

I've got both Rossi's and The Texas Tornado's Valencia bikes to do in my personal YZR group build so I'm interested in how you got on with the White. I feel Steve's US GP Yellow looks a bit pale so may re-do my version of that bike.

These Tamiya Yams are amongst the finest kits ever issued by a model company.

H

Is that the paint from Zeropaints Jen?

Is it any good? As i wouldn't mind some of their Tyre Black paint!!

Bike's looking nice, i'd like to make their new Yamaha kit, looks excelent!!

If you look at this thread http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=17610 you'll see my recent builds all bar the Krote and 1/43rd F399 are painted with Zero Paints. I really can't recommend them enough.

THC

Looks great Jen, can't wait to see it avec decals!

Nice smooth finish on the bodywork, have you painted the inside of the bodywork black?

Keep posting the progress.

Doc

Me too Doc! Going to start having a go at that tonight I think as it was all but dry when I went to bed last night so it should be well hardened by the time I get home.

Not painted the interior yet, but I will do.

Jen.

• 1 month later...

And I'm finally there! Phew :D

331744141.jpg

Sorry about the lack of updates but you don't really need to see it decal by decal, and that's all that has really been happening. I had a fair old struggle with the decals to be honest. They are beautifully printed, in register, solid in colour etc etc. What they aren't, is conformable. They didn't really want to go around all the edges and curves, even with setting solutions. I had the same trouble with the Desmosedici I did a while back.

And that is mostly why it's been so long, I would fight a decal on and then set it aside for a few days while I mustered up enough commitment to carry on! Of course, as you start to see light at the end of the tunnel, the motivation seems to come flooding back!

331744076.jpg

331744089.jpg

So, it's almost out of the box. I have added some real metal spacers on the front brake calipers, a datalogging transducer on the forks, some clear tubing for the brake reservoirs (painted with clear green), some carbon decal here and there and datalogging wires on the front forks and swingarm.

The paint is all Zero from Hiroboy in the proper special white for the job. It comes as a white groundcoat, white pearl basecoat and then a clear laquer. All pre mixed and ready to go. It behaved pretty much faultlessly and I am extremely pleased with the finish I managed to get. Yes, there are some dodgy bits if you really look for them, but the overall effect is good. The front mudguard is Tamiya X-7 acrylic, cut with cellulose thinners and overcoated post decalling with Klear.

All the black bits are either X-18 or Gunze tyre black and all the metallic bits are various Alclads.

331744134.jpg

331744122.jpg

331744101.jpg

Kudos to Tamiya, this is a staggeringly good kit. To need so little in the way of extras and still look so convincing is pretty impressive. When it came out I knew I would have to have one because I heart the paintjob and Colin is one of my favourite riders. I was baulked by the price tag though. Having built it I can honestly say it's well worth every penny and I would happily buy another.

I'm very happy with the finished article, it isn't going to trouble Neil or the Doc in the voting stakes and isn't on the level they have acheived (IMO) but it's the first bike kit I have built that looks properly like a scale replica as oppose to a mantelpiece display toy.

Thankyou all for your encouragement, and for the lovely builds you've all been turning out for this GB - you've been an inspiration! :coolio:

Jen.

Great job! It looks bloody fantastic. What doesn't come out in the pics is that white, that looks rather nice in the flesh :thumbsup: And the exhaust staining is very cool too, although you can't see it in the shots. As for the dodgy bits.... WHERE??! I couldn't see 'em!

Marvellous job!

Karl.

Looks beautiful Jen, impressive for an OTB build. The last few Tamiya bike builds of mine had the same stubborn decals which refused to conform, even if they are Cartograph decals and usually behave.

Again superb build Jen and glad we had a good bike showing in the GB.

Cheers

Doc

Thanks Doc. It is a lovely kit, and has made me look forward immensely to buying and building the ZX-RR. It's a major shame the decals are such hard work though, being such an integral part of a build like this. Not like you can get aftermarket replacements easily either is it :shrug:

Jen.