Italeri news 2008

Giorgio N

I am still rather surprised that, given Italeri can be quite adventurous with their choices, that a 1/72 or 1/48 AMX is still yet to appear. Now that's a nice looking aeroplane.

The subject of a new tool AMX have been a recurring joke on italian websites and forums for a number of years... and of course announcements of new injected plastic AMX kits appear every april 1st.. :D

Unfortunately it looks like lesser known modern jets are not popular enough to sell well and the italian market is nowhere as big as the german or the japanese.

Regardless of the controversial reputation of the AMX in Italy, I too believe it's a shame that there's no kit of it around.

There is some hope for the G.222 that after the contract won in the US for the C-27J a kit might appear in the future. Then again cargoes aren't the most popular subjects around

Giorgio

Italeri does seem to be beginning to focus on Italian aircraft now though. With the CR-42 last year in both scales and now The Re 2000 family in both scales (I am not going to try and spell that companies name!) Maybe an AMX isn't a too remote possibility. It's problem lies in that it is only used by Italy and Brazil.

Matt

Delighted to see the Italeri Hawk is finally going to reappear. I was really miffed when it appeared in their catalogue and Airfix jumped-in with theirs, only to find that it wasn't exactly great (what is going-on with the rear fuselage/tail area? It just looks odd), and then Italeri dropped theirs from the next catalogue. Hopefully Italeri's Hawk will be spot-on. Hope so anyways!

As for Italeri's 72nd Hawk, it's a nice kit but as has been said, the nose is a bit odd and the canopy is ghastly, bt overall it's not too bad. The original Airfix 72nd kit was a decent shape but having to modify it (add wing fences, etc) is a real pain, so I hope they will address these problems with the new kit. I keep hearing that it is a "new tool" but you have to wonder whether this means merely a modified tool - I'm inclined to wait and see!

Now we need to start whining about a 32nd scale one - guess Revell won't want to know seen as Germany have never had any Hawks.

Overall, it looks like Italeri aren't really doing much, and seem more keen on re-issuing old Esci stuff which is nice, but not exactly exciting, especially when Hornby are forging ahead with so much new stuff. As has been said, you'd think they'd re-issue the Tornado ADV when the IDS kit is still readily available. Shame they haven't got really ambitious and opted to produce a 48th Buccaneer or Jaguar which would hopefully be better quality than the Airfix ones. Hope the 48th Herk comes back though, and not as a J model. You can do so much more with the older version! Wonder if Italeri will ever do a good 48th Viggen? Now that would be nice!

Edited by Tim

Italeri does seem to be beginning to focus on Italian aircraft now though. With the CR-42 last year in both scales and now The Re 2000 family in both scales (I am not going to try and spell that companies name!) Maybe an AMX isn't a too remote possibility. It's problem lies in that it is only used by Italy and Brazil.

Matt

And doing a good job too.The Marsupiale was very well received by the guys at my club who build Italian aircraft.

Stephen

Delighted to see the Italeri Hawk is finally going to reappear. I was really miffed when it appeared in their catalogue and Airfix jumped-in with theirs,

Not quite Tim, the Airfix 1/48 hawk was announced at the 2002 IPMS Nationals where they had an all-black RN example on display. news of the Italeri kit came after Airfix's not before.

only to find that it wasn't exactly great (what is going-on with the rear fuselage/tail area? It just looks odd)

More or less spot on in terms of dimensions, though the leading edge of the fin falls a little short and could be extended a little.

Yeah it would have been nice to have had more detail, yeah it would have been nice if it had been tooled in Korea, but the budget simply wasn't there.

Regardless of the controversial reputation of the AMX in Italy, I too believe it's a shame that there's no kit of it around.
What's the controversy with the AMX Giorgio? I/we don't hear much about it here and I'm curious.

Also, why hasn't it gotten a name yet? I read/heard some years ago that it would be called Centauro, but that seems to have faded off again.

:viking:

Personally speaking I think its a great choice for a re-tool - the current kit still depicts the P.1182 so lacks the ventral wing, wing fences and vortex generators, not to mention smoke pod for the RAs.

Thinking about it, I think I last built that kit in 1983...!

Built 7 Italeri ones - 3 in a row at one point. Alas only two survived 4 house moves in 6 years... looking at them now I marvel at some of my animal cunning (e.g. blocks of plastic painted red for HUD covers so I didn't have to do any more detailing after having made several with tiny bits of wire and clear sheet!).

Ineed, Hunters scored on the "German interest" because they spent so much time based in Germany. Frustrating thing is, the same logic hasn't persuaded Revell to produce a decent Lightning kit, but I guess that there will be a decent 72nd scale one before too long - if MPM's isn't great, I'm thinking Airfix's old kit must be due for replacement! I just keep hoping Revell will produce a 32nd Canberra. Otherwise, I'm not quite sure where their German obsession would lead... Buccaneer? Jaguar? Mind you, they still haven't done a 48th Hunter (or a T7 in any scale, damn it).

Italeri, hmm, yes it is odd that the big Merlin seems to have disappeared. Hope they've not "done a Hawk" and been frightened-off by someone else doing the same thing - but if so, who? Maybe the Merlin kit already classed as "last year's listing" now so not worth mentioning on a new list?

I'm just gonna keep everything crossed for the 48th Hawk. If Italeri do a good job on that (and there's no reason to imagine that they will not) then that will be my "Kit of the Year" just for the sheer versatility and range of options for it!

Edited by Tim

Airfix don't have a 100 series kit in their range, and the Hawk (in 1/72 and 1/48) is a best seller.

18-01-08

I thought they had a Hawk 100 in 1/48, the one they re-released with the South African decals??

Liam

18-01-08

I thought they had a Hawk 100 in 1/48, the one they re-released with the South African decals??

Liam

But not in 1/72. So an all-new Hawk T.Mk.1 and 100 series in 1/72 makes good sense - it replaces older, out of date tooling and also brings in a totally new variant.

Too right :fight:

;)

Ok Mike, I'll definitely get the Tornado then. I don't want to end up like this! :chair:

I'll have to get the 1/144th ATR42 as well.

Paul Harrison

Now we need to start whining about a 32nd scale one - guess Revell won't want to know seen as Germany have never had any Hawks.

Didn't have Hunters either...... but we have RoG kits of the F6 & FGA9 in 1:32 & 1:72........ who can say what's in their plans !

Ian