Shuttle with sratchbuilt booster/MFT

P1020508.JPG

At last.. finished...

been there, done that, ..won't do it again...

Nice one. :goodjob: Would love to have the space to to have a shuttle complete with Launch gantry etc.

Thanks Mish, she's indeed over 40 cm tall and weighs almost a kilo, due to the solid wood boosters. I had to make a special fixture on the wall; I dont really have the space either!

The kit is a 1 euro a fleamarket purchase some 4 years ago. I always wanted a shutle composition in the model collection, and decided to scratchbuild the rest. What did i know.....

The MFT is a P.E.T. sodabottle. I sawed the top off and replaced by a oasis foam cone that was shaped in place, same with the hollow of the bottom. I covered the soft foam with a coat of liquid fast drying glue, so I had a good base for putting filler on, that was sanded smooth.

P1020329.JPG

The orange latex wallpaint leftover from my daughters bedroom refurbishment matched the tone and colour of the original MFT.

P1020505.JPG

The turned solid wood boosters were detailed with sprue and plastic coffeespoon elements.The sealing rings are represented by Tamyia masking tape, applied either in natural finish or coulored in.

The bottom of the shuttle is covered with a fiberglass matting to represent the tiled texture. I also applied it to the inside cargobaydoors to represent solarpanels

P1020330.JPG

NASA's site provides a wealth of detail pictures on the Orbiter and Launch vehicles..

http://www.nasa.gov/returntoflight/system/...em_Orbiter.html

The scales of the separate items do not mach exactly because the day I was having the PET bottle in hand decided me to use this as MFT. For me it's close enough anyway..

Weathering on the shuttle is done by applying HB grade pencil scrapings, applied by a brush and rubbed in by hand.

The whole structure clicks together with small magnets, glued into place.

P1020501.JPG

The decals were a nightmare after so many years, thoroughly yelloed, but this fades into the weathering quite nicely

This thing has soaked up so many hours, and I am happy it's finished...I threw it to the corner of the bench many times of the last 3 years.. It's my first new years resolution I can now tick off the list!

Edited by Skybert

Lokks ok.

Who's kit mate?

Revell's first edition