Airfix 1/72 Concorde

Buzby061

Was given the Airfix 1/72 Concorde as a Christmas prezzie - it's certainly a big beast. Any pitfalls to watch out for, or would I be better advised to do my bit for the environment & use it for loft insulation?

Any info or tales of hair tearing gratefully received.:rolleyes:

It looks wonderful when built but is a complete bar steward to put together. There are also some accuracy issues such as the over long visor and the nose gear being positioned too far aft. There is a suspicion that the wing geometry is not completely right as well. I've had one on the go since shortly after the kit was first released. I will finish it - nil desperandum etc - but getting everything to fit drives you up the wall.

peebeep

Hi there,

I built one in the Landor scheme for my mates 50th the other year.

Issues:

Fuse is split 3 attach parts to make one complete fuse side. Rear fuse tail area will need loads of filler if you do it the instructions way.

Engines: Not a good fit and the black plastic does not help painting white!

Nose Vizor: I made mine in the closed position the working asspect is an old gimmic that will have you cursing till the cows come home.

Windows: DONT use the clear parts leave them out and use crstal clear once you have sprayed and decaled everything.

Interior: DONT spray black its a pig to get fuse the same as the wings if you do.

Other than what peepbeep said as well, it does make a lovely model once finished.

Give it a go dont use as insulation

Adrian

Thanks for the info, knew I could rely on you. I'll transfer it to my pending pile. I will be going to do it in flight on the stand (shades of the old Airfix 2 bob kits in a bag of my childhood). Must admit I wasn't too impressed with the different coloured plastics & I think it's far too complicated as a "stick it together & it won't need any paint" type of kit. Note to self - stock up on the Green Stuff. :mellow:

How much you do to it depends on you. The most egregious error is the position of the nose gear well, and the length of the nose gear strut. Both are pretty hard to fix, so I'd do it gear up, and fill and rescribe the nose gear doors...

I'd highly recommend building two complete fuselage halves and fudging the attachment of the moving nose. That way you can mess with the circumferential joins, and finish up with two easy to fix lengthwise seams, rather than three sections with slightly different diameters.

The base of the tail is straight instead of curved as it should be, so you'll need to sand a gentle curve into it to get the true Concorde look.

The worst fitting par is around the back of the engine nacelles. Build them as they're provided and the jet exhausts will be far too low, leaving a big flat 'ole at the back of the wing. You need to sand the turned out "flanges" at the top of the black parts until they are paper thin, and mess with the gap they fit into - then you can get the burner cans into the right place in the wing trailing edge.

You also need to be very sure which parts are left nacelle, and which for the right. Mark 'em up as you cut them off, or separate them into different boxes - if not you'll be tearing your hair - don't ask me how I know! :blush:

That said - it des make a very impressive model when it's done!

bestest,

M.

Edited by cmatthewbacon