1/32 Revell P-47D Bubble : FINISHED.

spitfire

Well still plugging away, masked off over the dark earth using my favourite blue tac and paper masks, this time I used white tac to see if it left less marks, seemed pretty much the same to me. The Dark Earth was faded using a mix of Xtracolor X2 and X141 (white), masks applied and the Dark Green X1 sprayed, this was left overnight and today a lightened coat was applied (X1 + X141). Couldn't wait any longer so removed the masks. Still got to fade the MSG on the undersides though, then I can have a play with the Pro modellers wash, lots of new things (for me) on this build. The undersides are MSG but they appear a blue colour in the photos !

Cheers

Den

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by spitfire
Replaced Photobucket photos

Thank you kindly Erwin, hopefully the finished article will more resemble the Hasagawa one (apart from the fin and rudder !).

Cheers

Den

• 2 weeks later...

Well after being diverted by the Spitfire VIII I have finally got back to the P-47's, normally I would spray and mask off the white ID bands prior to the camo but I hashed the job up, so had to do it the hard way and mask everything off. According to the Geoff Thomas book RAF Thunderbolts the ID bands were as follows:

Wings 28” – 711mm for 1/32 scale 22mm

Tail planes 18” - 457mm for 1/32 scale 14mm

Vertical tail 18” – 457 mm for 1/32 scale 14 mm

But after the order for the ID bands were issued the Air Ministry objected that the painted ID bands might upset the balance of the aircrafts controls, so a revised order was sent out with a new diagram the essence of which was not to paint over control surfaces. Looking at P-47 photos there is a right mixture of full ID bands and partial ID bands and in some cases the white paint was removed from control surfaces. The upshot of this is that I had to pick an aircaft identity and identify which bands were applicable.

The book has several possible identities but I wanted one that I could match up to a photograph, in the end I chose a 30 Squadron aircraft RS*B, KJ140 with full width bands, the decals were scrounged together from the Freightdog sheet (roundels, fin flash and squadron badge), RAF codes (white) from a 1/48th scale sheet by Ventura, serial came from the Freightdog sheet and a Techmod Mustang Mk III sheet. I found a photo of the aircraft from the IWM collection showing the bands and the white codes.

The excellent Geoff Thomas book even gives the size for the code letters for each Thunderbolt squadron, in the case of my project 18" or for 1/32 nd scale 14 mm, the Ventura codes are 15 mm but they are the best I can do.

When spraying the bands I tried to make the finish a bit patchy and not go for a "solid" white.

Cheers

Den

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by spitfire
Replaced Photobucket photos

Well, never thought it would get this far but I am very pleased with it, putting the decals on really brings a model to life, not too happy about the serials, had to scavenge them from other decal sheets, but they look the part.

Cheers

Den

P-47RAF2ndAprildecalsbubble002.jpg

P-47RAF2ndAprildecalsbubble003.jpg

P-47RAF2ndAprildecalsbubble004.jpg

Very pleased with this bit, decided as I was doing all sorts of new things to give the Pro Modeller weathing wash a go, used the dark wash and despite looking a bit dodgy at the start it turned out great, will be using it again.

Cheers

Den

This looks a bit dodgy

P-47WASH4thMarch08003.jpg

And this one

P-47WASH4thMarch08007.jpg

Before shot

P-47RAF2ndAprildecalsbubble002-1.jpg

After clean up shot

P-47WASH4thMarch08016.jpg

Hi Kev, I am very pleased with the way it is going, wanted to build these kits for years but kept looking in the box and putting them back in the loft, then I saw the Jerry Rutman detail kits, bought the detail kits for the Razorback and the bubble but still left them in the loft. The Hasagawa and Trumpeter new releases nearly meant that they would have stayed in the loft if the new kits had come out with RAF markings, they didn't so I started building them meaning to cobble together the decals from some 1/48 SEAC decals I have, but the release of the Freightdog decal sheets meant that I had accurate decals to go with.

Cheers

Den

Hi Spitfire,

Could you please give some more info on that wash you are using.

Is that waterbased and do you simply rub it of once dried to leave thepannellines filled ?

I always wanted to do that on my models but don't know where to get that product.

Another Q on your Typhoon. How did you fix the canopy firmly to the model ? Mine doesn't fit that well.

Edited by Erwin

Hi Erwin,

The wash is Promodellers Dark Wash, it is water based, you brush it on, allow it to dry and then wipe off the excess with some damp kitchen towel, Promodeller have a forum on this site under "shops manufacturers and vendors. Their website is http://www.promodeller.com/welcome/

The canopy on the Typhoon was quite a problem, I spent hours sanding and adjusting it, in the end I had to mark out the shape on the fuselage and cut a channel in the fuselage to get it to fit, this was very slow work, as you also have to make sure that the door will still fit. I will have a look at the write up that I did at the time.

Cheers

Den

Edited by spitfire

• 4 weeks later...

Well I have actually gone and done it, ITS FINISHED, need a Hasagawa standard build next to get over this one. But I am very pleased with it as it is, I didn't correct all the kit faults, and I can see all the bits that I got wrong but the end result looks fine to me. Tried lots of new techniques on this one and will repeat them on the ones that follow.

Cheers

Den

FinishedRAFP-47Bubble003.jpg

FinishedRAFP-47Bubble010.jpg

FinishedRAFP-47Bubble012.jpg

FinishedRAFP-47Bubbleandrazor011.jpg

FinishedRAFP-47Bubbleandrazor019.jpg

very nice Den, as usual up to your very high standards. :speak_cool: