1/32 Revell P-47D Bubble : FINISHED.

spitfire

Ok, here we go, armed with the tweak list from LSP I am going to tackle this oldie, mind you I will ignore the bits on the tweak list that are too hard, luckily a long time ago I bought a Jerry Rutman update set for the kit, otherwise I would not attempt it. The bubble will benefit from a Razorback that I started to build before it, then again it may lose out as I may skip some hard bits.

The kit

spacer.png[/img]

Rutman detail set, minus the wheel wells which looked too hard to do

spacer.png[/img]

Cheers

Den

Edited by spitfire
Replaced Photobucket photos

First job is to get rid of all the rivets and raised panel lines, while I'm at it the wing gun inserts can go in to correct the kit set up, fuselage is taped together, all detail sanded off and rescribed. While this is going on all the various openings on the fuselage are opened or where already open are thinned down. The kit parts have also been cleaned up ready.

spacer.png[/img]

spacer.png[/img]

spacer.png[/img]

spacer.png[/img]

spacer.png[/img]

Cheers

Den

Edited by spitfire

OK, loaded up some more photos onto Photobucket, resin cockpit painted, for the razorback I did some reaearch into Bronze green, and came up with Xtracolor X114 Euro 1 Medium Green, then found that WEM Colourcoats do a Bronze green WEMCC ACUS 30, so that is what I used on the bubble. For the zinc Chromate I used Xtracolor X408. Despite washing in warm soapy water the resin parts did not want to hold onto the paint and needed quite a bit of touching up. The side walls were painted and fixed to the fuselage halves, a bit of imagination was used to affix several Waldron placards. The instrument panel on the Razor was a film and brass affair but this was not included in the bubble detail kit, so I used some old reheat decals, these did not have white backing so I had to paint the individual dials white before decalling. The instruments are not accurate compared to the real thing (would hate to try and fly it) but I'm happy with the result. I've since got some new decals from MDC for future use.

The engine was just painted, no extra detail added, it's not very accurate and it sits too far forward but never mind.

spacer.png[/img]

spacer.png[/img]

spacer.png[/img]

spacer.png[/img]

Edited by spitfire

Right up to date now, last night I assembled all the big bits and have spent all day today filling and sanding, for this I use superglue and accelerator, but it's a long job, and then I have to re do all the panel lines.

spacer.png[/img]

spacer.png[/img]

spacer.png[/img]

spacer.png[/img]

Cheers

Den

Edited by spitfire

That looks to be rough compares to the new stuff. What was your cost, all up?

Hi David,

Can't remember what the kit cost me, discovered 1/32 scale in the late 1980's and bought every kit I could in that scale, used to go to the Nationals at Donnington and later Telford with a shopping list of kits. So by the early 90's I had quite a stash of kits, then I got an assignment in Thailand, rather than take kits with me from my existing stash I created another stash, got a lot of stuff from Plastic Past Times, very helpful people (Ray and Judith ?).

Got the urge to build a P-47 when we lived in Australia but when I looked in the box I quickly changed my mind, then I got a new PC and started to surf the net, found out about Jerry Rutman's stuff so bought three detail kits from him, 2 for Razorbacks and one for a bubble, just found the reciept for that the total came to $171 US, the detail kits were $45, plus I added the gun inserts ($2.5) and canopies ($5.0). This must have been 2003/4.

Cheers

Den

Hi Erwin, unfortunately the decals are not SEAC, however I do have the Freightdog SEAC decals and some codes/serials decals so should be able to come up with something from the correct period.

Cheers

Den

• 3 weeks later...

Well all the sanding and rescribing is finished, all the bits that I need to add on after painting have been prepared, and the clear parts masked, unfortunately the latter do not look too much like the real thing but the JR vac that came with the detail kit is not useable so I will have to live with it. Have just sprayed the white for the recognition stripes when it is nice and dry I will mask it off ready for the main colours.

spacer.png[/img]

spacer.png[/img]

Cheers

Den

Edited by spitfire

• 4 weeks later...

Well after a lot more work than I thought I have got to the painting stage, the initial spraying of the white bands showed a lot of faults so I had to rub it all down again and do some more re scribing, then polish up the airframe again. The undersides were sprayed with Xtracolor X3 Medium Sea Grey, this was then masked and the topside sprayed with Xtracolor X2 Dark Earth, I left this for a couple of days to dry and then mixed some X2 with some white and sprayed the lightened mixture inside the panels, pretty much what I do on AFV's, but I have never been brave enough to try it on aircraft. The photos don't show it very well but it does break up the overall colour, next step is to mask off and spray the green (Xtracolor X1) which will be faded as per the dark earth. Then I will have to be brave and fade the undersides.

Cheers

Den

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by spitfire

Hi Erwin here's some more of my Revell 1/32 nd scale builds, they take ages but look OK (I think) in the end, it's nice to build amour as a change after one though !

Cheers

Den

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by spitfire
  • Like 1

looking really nice Den, I take it that by the amount of work you had to put in that this is a stinker of a kit then?

Top quality of the other models as well btw

:speak_cool:

Yes I would not recommend the 1/32 nd scale Revell P-47D to anyone who did not have a great deal of patience, the only reason I am building them is that the newer ones did not have RAF markings and I had 2 Jerry Rutman detail kits in the loft. If Hasagawa or Trumpeter had fetched out P47's with RAF markings I would have bought them. Silly really as I still have to source RAF decals elsewhere, could have done the same for the more modern kits.

Cheers

Den