Airbus Low Level Flyby

atdb27

Hi Folks,

was looking at some Military stuff and came across this on U-tube.

It is one of many about the same display a TAP A-310 at a Portugese AD last year.

Watch the others as well and listen. Even a foreign language you can tell when someone says JHFC that was close!

Enjoy or is Wonder?

Adrian

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYfhC9ft_hk

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Folks,

was looking at some Military stuff and came across this on U-tube.

It is one of many about the same display a TAP A-310 at a Portugese AD last year.

Watch the others as well and listen. Even a foreign language you can tell when someone says JHFC that was close!

Enjoy or is Wonder?

Adrian

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYfhC9ft_hk

If you ever saw footage of a airshowc rash amidst public, like Ramstein of Lviv, you look at this cowboy pilot differently. This is no hero to me but a eager beaver who has a attitude problem or should that be altitude problem..

Ive seen that one and side with Skybert, in the main. It WOULD be a thrill to have your toupee blown off by such a beast - but one miscalculation and the crowd is toast.

I find it hard to compare those fly-by's to the crashes at Ramstein and Lviv. At Ramstein there were aircraft flying towards the crowdline and at Lviv the Su27 was almost over the crowd, with the public on both sides of the runway. At no point in that video is the A310 flying towards or over the public.

I find it hard to compare those fly-by's to the crashes at Ramstein and Lviv. At Ramstein there were aircraft flying towards the crowdline and at Lviv the Su27 was almost over the crowd, with the public on both sides of the runway. At no point in that video is the A310 flying towards or over the public.

Agreed - but holy shi* that wingtip is close to the ground on the first pass !! :yikes:

Keef

Agreed - but holy shi* that wingtip is close to the ground on the first pass !! :yikes:

Keef

These clips have been discussed before- but is it possible in this type of aircfaft, that an on board computer limited that angle of bank cos that imput stops all of a sudden- or else it is very precise (but possibly reckless in the extreme) flying

These clips have been discussed before- but is it possible in this type of aircfaft, that an on board computer limited that angle of bank cos that imput stops all of a sudden- or else it is very precise (but possibly reckless in the extreme) flying

Computer wouldn't stop a sudden downdraught taking that 'tip into the ground though.....!!

Keef

(clip is very reminiscent of the good old days of airshows in the UK - saw a KC97 do a pass almost as low once. And a 23 Squadron Lightning F3 that was probably even lower!! )

Edited by keefr22

If you ever saw footage of a airshowc rash amidst public, like Ramstein of Lviv, you look at this cowboy pilot differently. This is no hero to me but a eager beaver who has a attitude problem or should that be altitude problem..

I am sorry that you think this Pilot in this Video was an eager beaver , but Sir, if you had cared to read a liitle further , apart form hust watching the Vidoe, you would say differently.

The Pilot in this case was and he still Flies, Capt.Cesar BRITO , the TAP AIRBUS A 310 Fleet Last Chief Pilot.He has gotten over 4000 hours of flight on the A310 and TAP, who have not had a single accident in over 20years was paying his respect .His Co-piolt her was Vitor PEREIRA... I dont think that they took this on very lightly and I think that they were BRILIANT and had been practising for some time before this manuver was carried out or even attempted..EAGER BEAVER....Idont think so...The Commander k new what he was doing!!

Houston... :whistle:

Edited by Houston

...The Commander k new what he was doing!!

Houston... :whistle:

So did soooooo many pilots before him - until they made that one, small, final fatal mistake. All pilots are human - none are foolproof, however much they've practised.

Keef

(& I'm not saying he's an idiot, by any means - he's obviously a very skilful pilot. Just not invincible!)

Edited by keefr22

Only the Fly-by-Wire Airbuses have the computer's limit bank and pitch angles. This fly-by in the A310 has been discussed extensively on professional pilot forums and in my humble, but professional opinion as an Airbus driver, if the wingtip was that close to the ground and not an illusion due to the ground rising and then falling between the camera and the aircraft, then the pilot was a nutter. Sorry, but he was.

He might not have killed any spectators, but he was not the only member of crew on board. :angrysoapbox.sml:

I can name you a dozen international airshows where such manoevres are out of the question... are they being just chicken or could there be common sense in what's safe and what's not, especially on high profile events with large audiences like the show this comes from?

I had my share of ultralow flyby's good enough to scalp the few witnesses in the airforce.. and admit is was fun, I'm sure the guys knew what they were doing.. Maybe it's age that now iI also see the dark side or risks more than the thrill when i take my kid to a show; I tend to bother about this, something i never did when i was single and eager beaver myself.. no offense... and sure, no life can be lived without being subject to danger..enjoy the spectacular video, things went well..

• 1 month later...

I did witness Ramstein, lucky for me I was away just minutes when the MB flew into the hill. Stayed there the whole evening and returned home safe. Watching this video comes close and I'm aware they praticed it a lot, but they do not have the needed NATO airshow clearance. And I'm missing the fun of flying that low near the public!!

The pilot had a short chat (tea, no biscuits) with the chief pilot of TAP and was severely disciplined. The aircraft was overstressed by the pull-up at the end of the flyby and had to have special inspections performed on the structure.

BTW Mentalguru, I've got to go off topic for a sec - we’ve lurked here for quite a while and Dan’s admired your Avatar for yonks…. Who is she and where is there a bigger version available?!

Edited by Airbusians

The pilot had a short chat (tea, no biscuits) with the chief pilot of TAP and was severely disciplined. The aircraft was overstressed by the pull-up at the end of the flyby and had to have special inspections performed on the structure.

BTW Mentalguru, I've got to go off topic for a sec - we’ve lurked here for quite a while and Dan’s admired your Avatar for yonks…. Who is she and where is there a bigger version available?!

Ooerr... the cost of showboating. :unsure: He did seem to be treating it like a military jet, but I'd never have guessed that he would have over-stressed the airframe. When you say that, I presume he was flying within the tolerances of the airframe, but outside the normal flight "envelope"? The reason I ask is that a trick like that could be required in an emergency, and I'm curious as to how much fancy flying a passenger jet can withstand before bits start to fall off. :hmmm:

Like all things - it depends! The main thing it depends on is what the all-up weight of the aircraft is at the time - the heavier it is the lower the G-manoeuvre that can be tolerated due to excess force on the wings. All civil aircraft have a built in G-meter that will provide an alert when the G-loading on the wing exceeds what is permitted under any given set of conditions. It was found that, for these particular conditions on this day, the aircraft had exceeded the G-load limit and therefore had to be inspected.

It was a serious mistake that, in the end, was not too costly as no damage had been done (no cracks were found after the inspection) but when you ground an airframe, it costs money in itself to do that!

Dan