3-colour Wellington

Test Graham

OK, get over to Luftwaffe Experten message board and admire the link under General Aircraft. Lots of nice desert war pics plus a unique (surely!) Wellington Mk.1c with three colours on the top camouflage and light undersides. T2829/X.

found it!

Guess at colours? Dark earth, Midstone, Dark Green over azure?

Edited by Dave Fleming

I'd agree with your guess at the top colours - Azure Blue might be a bit dark but probably as good a guess as any. Does not seem to be comms Yellow given the contrast with the roundel.

But what about the wing camouflage pattern?

Almost enough to make me dash out for a Wellington - but doesn't that mean the MPM with its bad texture and multi-pot engines? And I've just got a "new" Typhoon today (Eastern Express oldest Frog) plus a Vampire (HMAS) on order.... must show more restraint. Perhaps I'll leave it, but very interesting nonetheless.

Just found a picture of a very similarly camo'd Wellington IC in Airfix Magazine Annual No 6 - this time coded 'R' rather than 'X'.

This one shows partially the upper wing. I wonder if the cam scheme is the regular Earth/Green scheme with patches of mid stine painted over - in both instances there seems to be no 'stone' band over the centre/forward fuselage

I don't have that - I presume you'd have quoted the serial had it been visible. Afraid I don't feel like trawling through all the Wellington 1c serials to find all that went to 201 Group CF - not many, I suspect. And it may have been some other ME comms unit.

When I get the chance I'll have a dig through the Air Britain Support Units book, see what turns up!!

scan0001.jpg

• Like 2

• 7 years later...

The T2829 mentioned at the start of the topic http://www.oldcmp.net/Images/FGLazarus/wellington.jpg wears slightly different scheme that looks less hasty. Looking at the port side of fuselage you have a regular sequence of three colours, namely Medium-Dark-Light-M-D-L-M-D, while the "R" from Airfix magazine has simply every second of "Medium" areas overpainted with "Light", giving the sequence of L-D-M-D-L-D-M-D-L. Probably "Dark" is Dark Green, "Medium" is Dark Earth and "Light" is Midstone, although other variations (TSS colours? Mediterranean blues?) should also be considered.

What's more, the X (probably red) has been painted before the underside (Azure Blue?) colour, as it's a little bit overpainted. We can even suppose that originally she had high demarcation line between upper- and undersurface (Night presumably) colour, as all the uppersurface camouflage has been painted "new". Contrary to that the "R" had low demarcation line before applying the "Light" colour onto the topside camouflage pattern, which makes even the idea of transport unit (ther're no guns in front turret) post-1943 TSS (with Midstone superimposed) possible. Moreover the T2829 has A1 roundels (with greyish white area) and corresponding Fin Flash (bright white centre stripe this time), while "R" has C1 roundels and Flash.

So - although similar at first glance - they are examples of quite different ideas (local orders?) or improvisation :)

Edited by KRK4m

I have a couple of similar photos in my collection and in one of them the top of the fin is still black where the re painters could not reach!

There were some Wellington`s on charge with the ASR Flight including `X' and I wonder if the others are involved in similar missions, although transport is also a possibility? With some of these Wellington`s I have wondered for years whether they were in a desert scheme or a faded Temperate Sea style scheme? The jury is still out as far as I`m concerned!.

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 1

OK, get over to Luftwaffe Experten message board and admire the link under General Aircraft. Lots of nice desert war pics plus a unique (surely!) Wellington Mk.1c with three colours on the top camouflage and light undersides. T2829/X.

Is it a color photo?

You have to register at the Lw Ep forum to see the pics if I recall that correctly ...

Fine pic, Tony, but "black W" appears to wear standard two-colour upersurfaces (desert scheme perhaps, but extremely faded TSS also possible).

Do you have the serial of this Wellington? Is it Z1044?

Talking about the Egypt-based ASR Wellingtons I have also met several pictures of similar "light camouflaged" (desert or faded TSS) planes, e.g. "X" (in dull red) with A1 roundels and serial still on the TLS-coloured rectangle.

http://ww2db.com/images/50f91a60ee285.jpg

http://s262.photobucket.com/user/Duggy009/media/Duggy009-2/WellingtonoftheRAFRescueServiceisjoinedbyaFairchildamphibianastheyflylowoverthewaterinsearchofaRAF.jpg.html

But to me undersides here look Night and uppersurfaces are in one of standard two-colour schemes. BTW is this the one with black-topped fin you mentioned?

Another "light-bellied" (Azure Blue perhaps) Wellington Mk.Ic is pictured within the story about No.420 Sq. RCAF trip to Morocco in 1943. However the photo doesn't fit to the story, as the Wellington with Z (in black probably) individual code has A1 roundels and early Fin Flash that were discontinued in 1942. IMHO this plane also has standard desert two-colour (DE + Midstone) uppersurfaces. Lack of turret guns suggests transport or ASR role, but who knows?

http://www.aquatax.ca/snowyowls/Readers/Fraser/fraser04.jpg

Edited by KRK4m

Isn't it the one KRK4m links to?

Ah thanks, yes ...

Anyways what is interesting in the pic he linked to is that there is no white in the fuselage roundel, at least compared to the white in the fin flash.

The supposedly white ring looks like the outer yellow color, must not mean it is yellow of course.

• Like 1

Another "light-bellied" (Azure Blue perhaps) Wellington Mk.Ic is pictured within the story about No.420 Sq. RCAF trip to Morocco in 1943. However the photo doesn't fit to the story, as the Wellington with Z (in black probably) individual code has A1 roundels and early Fin Flash that were discontinued in 1942. IMHO this plane also has standard desert two-colour (DE + Midstone) uppersurfaces. Lack of turret guns suggests transport or ASR role, but who knows?

http://www.aquatax.ca/snowyowls/Readers/Fraser/fraser04.jpg

In the Polish AJ-Press book "Kampanie Lotnicze - Afryka 1940-42" Krzysztof Janowicz ties this picture (and a colour profile based on it) with Operation Crusader, but serial remains unknown. Anybody knows?

I am sure I must be having a senior moment, but I can't find the link you mentioned: any chance of a direct link?

• 3 years later...

As there was no response to the photo fraser04.jpg  mentioned here 3 years ago I'd like to ask this question a little bit more generally. Do you mean this (serial invisible) desert-based Mk IC with Z (perhaps black) individual code is a transport (no guns in turrets) or ASR plane or were there any other Wimpeys operating in the MTO with Azure (or Light Mediterranean) Blue undersides?

AFAIK all the bomber squadrons (No. 37, 38, 40. 70, 108 and 148) Wellingtons of Desert AF are always shown with Night (although not always high demarcation) undersides, regardless of uppersides being camouflaged in TLS (1940 in Egypt/Palestine) or DE/MS (1941-43). 

Cheers

Michael 

Edited by KRK4m
purely cosmetics

From Air Britain's Flying Training and Support Units, "Sea Rescue Flight...formed at Kabrit 13.8.41 with 3 Wellington Mk.Ic....(including)... T2951/C..."  At least including that aircraft at some time.  perhaps the ones discussed above are others?  I'd have thought that the ASR Wellingtons would have had guns fitted at that time, at least when on operational missions but not necessarily for every flight.

• Like 1

While penetrating the MTO Wellington pictures you can meet this photo of a J for Johnny from No. 458 Sq. RAAF

http://www.adf-gallery.com.au/gallery/458-Wellington/MEC2658

Does she wear the low-demarcation TSS over Azure Blue like this one https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/C337186

or is this some bizzare scheme e.g. Azure belly superimposed over the Night undersurfaces to TLS or DE/MS topsides camo?

Note that the aircraft still has guns in forward turret, so (presumably) it's not the trainer or transport plane.

Cheers

Michael

Edited by KRK4m
2nd link added