SD Motoko Kusanagi

Paul B

Major Motoko Kusanagi combat suit. She appears to be becoming a regular subject... but this time she's in SD (Super Deformed) or Chibi (Child body) format :D

First the base... I wanted to paint it based upon the original cover art work for issue 7 of the first Ghost in the Shell manga. I want to put "Ghost in the Shell" below the barcode but will need to find (or order) some 8pt letraset. I'm getting better at this masking lark, but not quite there yet!

I masked the base only leaving the top open, sanded then primed it and applied four coats of Tamiya flat yellow XF-3. Using 6mm masking tape I built up the square pattern and sprayed thin (1:4 paint/thinner) layers of flat red XF-7, removing and re-applying the tape between each layer of red.

For the barcode label I masked off and sprayed several layers of Alclad Prismatic Jade, 1 layer of Pale Burnt Metal, a couple more layers of the Jade, then masked and sprayed on the barcode. Topping it off with 2 more layers of the Jade.

base.jpg

SD Motoko Kusanagi... almost ready for priming.

sdm1.jpg

Edited by Paul B

It was busy at work last week and I've not had much time on my hands to do anything else but eat & sleep, but I did manage to watch Transformers on DVD :D On holiday this week, so I should get a bit done :D

Completed all the prep work on the figure and have started the base coats on all the bits. For the head I'm trying a new (to me) technique using a clear coat for the skin tone. Most people use Mr Hobby Color or Mr Color paints and I've had to adapt it slightly as I'm using Tamiya acrylics. Tamiya's clear red, orange, yellow, green & blue seem a Little darker than the Mr Color versions & they don't do a light flesh colour (light pink).

The basic idea is:

1. Apply white base coat
  2. Apply shading where needed using Light Flesh colour
  3. Apply clear coat, slowly building up the layers.

Had three attempts so far and the last go is looking OK. Only problem is the Mr Color version uses Flat paint and Tamiya only do Gloss clear paint... Ah well :)

Edited by Paul B

OK... Not happy with my first attempt on the base so I'm going to sand it all off and start again. All ready painted and stripped the head three times and on the second time of painting the body. Only thing I'm happy with so far is the gun... pics to follow.

Just finished the base, not perfect but ok. The squares are now 3mm x 3mm. There's a gold strike through behind the text hiding a black line from my crappy masking.

base5.jpg

Not overly happy with the spacing on the lettering but hey, what the heck :D Next it's time to start the figure, again...

Progress at last!

Primed and sanded down to p2000 status

sdm3.jpg

A few coats of white (zero paints) over the primer and sanded down with p2000. One very light coat of thinned xf-15 flat flesh for shading, it doesn't require much as the clear flesh coat brings it out wonderfully.

sdm4.jpg

Applied the clear flesh coat (3 - 5 thin layers, more in shaded areas) & one layer of Xtracrylix flat varnish to tone the gloss down to a near flat/satin finish.

sdm5.jpg

Really must invest in a proper light box for taking my photos. It'd make lighting the kits much easier and give better results, none of this photoshop jigery pockery...

Ahhh, ever had one of those days when nothing seams to go right? I'm having one of those weeks!!!

Stripped both the head and body back to the resin after mucking up on both :( Trying out another technique, this time for painting the eyes. As the finish is semi opaque gloss white, all the bits behind show through. Back to the start for the head and just when I'd nailed the clear skin tone <_< As for the body, tried out the Mr Colour pearl for the first time. The white pearl went on fine, started on a blue pearl coat and everything it covered turned yellow :huh:

It's said practice makes perfect, and this will be my fourth go on this one :shithappens:

Paul B Posted Today, 12:02 AM

Ahhh, ever had one of those days when nothing seams to go right? I'm having one of those weeks!!!

Gauld above, tell me about it :rolleyes: .........

What do you use to strip the paint off with Paul ?

Dazie.

Cellulose Thinners, using Zero Paint's from Hiroboy.com but also have some Halfords own brand, much cheaper. I only use the thinners to strip resin parts as it eats away the plastic used on injection kits very quickly. I also use it for airbrush cleaning duties.

Due to start my build for the World Motorsport GB tomorrow and all is not looking well :( Think I'll have a day of rest and contemplate on where I've been doing wrong :hmmm:

• 3 weeks later...

After spending a whole week making a mess of the figure and having a short mental break to re-coupe, I thought it about time to make another start.

The clear skin method has worked well on the head, just the eyes left to do.

sdm6.jpg

A couple of patches left to hand paint on the mid section..

sdm7.jpg

The gun was the first thing I painted over two weeks ago : Gloss black base - Alclad SS - Jet exhaust on butt, carry handle & grip - Burnt metal on barrel with a touch of clear blue and flat black - light oil wash (black) over the whole gun...

sdm8.jpg

There are a few small scratch marks on the mid grey where I've caught it while removing the masking. A once over with air brush should see it right...

Apart from trying to make the perfect cup of green tea for the past week, I've not been up to much else apart from working, eating and sleeping :)

Just finished the eyes and have put the head to one side until the oil paint dries.

sdm9.jpg

Considering how simple a figure this is, it's taking a long time to do... just the hair and touch-up airbrush work left to do :)

• 2 weeks later...