I'm in Hurri IIC trop : FINISHED

JimInOz

Bit more done, engine on her mounts and the start of the plumbing. A dry fit of this lot shows a good fit. I'll run in the fuel and oil lines and chuck a loom or two around the place to busy the Merlin up. The exhaust turned out well, they were painted with Humbrol rust, then I ground up some lead from a 2H pencil on some 600 grit wet n dry paper. I then got a fairly soft brush and loaded it with the lead dust and brushed it back and forward over the stubs, the result is it Blues off the end of the pipes. Makes em look like there has been some heat thru em.

Righto, the Australia Day long weekend is all but over so I had better go spend some time with Mrs JimInOz and the lids. I'll catch you all back up in a bit. (Hopefully with a bit more progress eh Bex? :P . Cheeky monkey :lol: )

Thanks Muller and Pez ol bean :thumbsup:

Cheers. jim :drink:

Hurri3008.jpg

G'day all, firstly thanks very much to Christian and Muller for their input with regard to my oxy hose question. I reckon it turned out allright so I'm pretty chuffed, good stuff lads :thumbsup: I used Christians wire wound method as I had some solder laying around. As soon as I did it I can see that what Muller suggested would work AOK too! (Anyone could do this, great little tip for busying up a cockpit.) It's unpainted at the mo but looks good. Whaddya reckon?

Hurri3008-1.jpg

Moved along to the wings, tailplanes etc now, so the fuselage is zipped up. No major hassles there with fit or alignment, just patience to work those loooooooong joins, as this is a fair ol lump o plasteek :blink:.

Some of Hawkers most famous lines are starting to emerge. B)

Hurri3010.jpg

Righto you lot, gotta go and have some dinner and a rum or six, see ya in a bit and thanks again for looking and the input . :drink: Jim :D

Hello again, moving along a bit now. Have gotten the wings together and mated to the fuselage, I think Trumpeter have a done a great job in getting all of this to match together so well. I have had no real show stoppers with regard to alignment or fit, the odd part needs a quick swipe with a small jewellers file or a bit of paper or stick and that's it :thumbsup2: You can see in this pic the great fit of the wing root into the fuselage body.

Hurri6018.jpg

The cannon are in, and various light fixings are in place ready to be masked of for painting

Hurri6009.jpg

Wheel wells are painted as are other surfaces that can be seen. I made up a stainless steel mesh filter for the front filter, which you can see in the first piccy. The front end of the Hispanos are a different assembly and they are ready for mounting once she is painted up.

Hurri6001.jpg

Well that's it for now, it's getting on a bit down here so I'm off to bed for the night. Thanks for looking Girls and Guys, I'll catch you all up soon. Cheers. Jim :D

Hi guys, thanks again for the comments, much appreciated :)

Gwart i will probably leave one side off, however i have not yet finalised my decision. I think you can spoil the look of an aircraft by leaving every hatch, flap and access panel open or off.(That is not to say that those who do so are wrong, it is something that depends on the individual. I have seen some absolutely awesome builds of aircraft that are completely opened up, it is just not my cup of tea.) Perhaps one side of the engine and one set of cannon hatches opened. And a simple dio base, that would be it. :D

Thanks for the interest. cheers. jim :drink:

Hi Jim, the Cheeky Monkey is back :lol: Im amazed how you guys manage to turn a piece of plastic into a work of art, im impressed if I manage to make mine half as good as things like this.

Bexy

Hey bex, thanks very much mate, means a lot to get the good vibes back :D . "Cheeky Monkey is back" (does anyone seriously think you'd gone, we wouldn't let ya go!!!!) don't sell yourself short sister, half full.... not half empty eh? I reckon you'd ace this. This is a good kit, I'm only putting it together, you 'd do the same if not better. Bit of tweakin and a sandin comes up tops :thumbsup2: (Only trouble is your young fella probably nick the wheel nuts off it! It's big enough! :P ) Your a goodun Bex, catch you up. Cheers. jim :)

Hey bex, thanks very much mate, means a lot to get the good vibes back :D . "Cheeky Monkey is back" (does anyone seriously think you'd gone, we wouldn't let ya go!!!!) don't sell yourself short sister, half full.... not half empty eh? I reckon you'd ace this. This is a good kit, I'm only putting it together, you 'd do the same if not better. Bit of tweakin and a sandin comes up tops :thumbsup2: (Only trouble is your young fella probably nick the wheel nuts off it! It's big enough! :P ) Your a goodun Bex, catch you up. Cheers. jim :)

Ow Do Jim, thanks for the vote of confidence, but if you could see the prize cock up on my table as I type, youd see things differently. Ive got 1:32 Bf109 that ive totally buggered up the paint job and Im just hoping Philsy's Mucky Gloop will hide it :yikes: build wise, and the right fiddly bits, UC & cockpit pilot etc are pretty good, ah well you'll see in a coupla days what i mnea, or my 1:32 Tornado that Im avoiding doing. Ah well never mind. In future I've decided Im not gonna go any bigger than 1:48.

You keep up the good work Jim, shes a beauty well and truly :worthy:

Bex von Cheeky :cow6:

• 2 weeks later...

G'yday all, back on deck after a weeks R&R with the kids and Mrs JimInOz :D A tad more done, painting pretty much completed for the airframe and wings. Next will be all the breaky offy bits :lol: Then decals. Cheers and Beers. Jim :drink:

HurriCammo002.jpg

HurriCammo007.jpg

Heres her markings, made them up in Corel and printed them off on my Laser printer, "K" for Kangaroo lives. Cheers. Jim

PS unsure who the JO refers to but I'd bet the house that it was one of the PO's sweetheart,wife etc :wub: . Thanks. Jim

Scannedat27-02-200814-06PM.jpg

Hi,

Nice paintwork.

But I have a Q.

The camopattern doesn't look RAF standartsheme.

I assumed they used the same pattern as on the first brown/green Hurricanes during the whole war.

So where did you find documentation for the sheme you painted ?

Erwin,

Jon sent me some hurri info not long back and every camo scheme seemed to be different from the next.

So i dont think that they had the same pattern all the way through the war, I stand to be corrected as i really dont know what i am talking about.

What i do know about though is if a model looks good, and yours is looking great Jim.

Edited by palacefan

Hi guys,

Erwin, you are correct in saying that the cammo does not look like standard RAF cammo pattern. I too (like Wayne) have tried to source a lot of Hurri info and in particular a decent photo of this aircraft, "K" for Kangaroo. After all my searching on the web, within refererance materials I have at hand and information others have provided to me I ran in to a dead end. I was only able to get hold of one photo of this particular aircraft, (which is a shot taken from the forward starboard side up close) it shows the nose art and what I believe to be the name JO just under this artwork. It also shows that "K" for Kangaroo had the white wing stripe identification bands on the main wings and a small K under the trop filter. Also a white spinner and thats about it!

What it does not show is a "cammo scheme", you can pick out the demarcation of the undersurface "light" colour and the "darker" upper cammo colour. But being a black and white photo it is pure speculation to say that these colours are such and such and those colours are this and that. So the next best thing to do was try and find out what other Hurricanes from this theatre were wearing at the time. And this is where the nightmare begins! I have at least 20 or so pictures of various makes, marks, numerous web photos, profiles etc etc etc and none of them show a cammo job that is the same! (Let alone standard). The only Hurricanes in my reference material that are the same (cammo wise) are Bare metal finnish and silver doped!

[/left]

Take a look at this sample of profiles by J.Franzi from "Modelling the Hurricane" ( a great reference book by the way).

CammoSamples.jpg

See what I mean! And these are just a sample!!!!

So it's fair to say that my cammo on this bird is a complete "load of man-vegetables". However I have done the next best thing and made up the cammo how she may have looked. I don't know if she had the stripes on the tailplanes, I don't know if she had one on her fin, I don't know if she had a large white K on her fuselage sides............... but I'm gonna put them all on. :lol: I have no top view of her and I do not know if these Indian Squadrons repainted their birds. Ahh well I'm living with it.

Righto, now I've done the "please explain" some smart bottom will probably post up a complete set of hi-res colour photos of her from every concievable angle. :suicide:

Great question Erwin, I wish I could answer it but alas no. Thanks for the interest. Cheers. jim :D

Thanks Erwin :D and Wayne too! Had a blast building this and I may do something else too. I'll post up some pics in the gallery guys, thanks again for letting me play.Most enjoyable.Cheers. Jim :drink: