Nikaku suicide tank killer

palacefan

I think i may make a clanky if i have enough time.

A Lee would be fav but i may go for something a bit different. i will edit this thread when i have made my mind up.

Edited by palacefan

I have made my mind up (for today anyway) Im going to do a small diorama of a Nikaku, I think thats what they were called.

I know the fellas with the white box of explosives around their necks are Nikaku but I want to model a soldier in a hole with an aircraft bomb.

They used to wait in the hole for a tank to go over and hit the bomb with a hammer. :boom:

Thanks for the link Erwin.

I am finding it hard to find pictures of these nut jobs, can anyone help?

Here is what i will use, £1 I think from the Avon show last year.

PICT0004-11.jpg

Edited by palacefan

I should think references would be hard to find as they would be in little pieces. Depends if you are doing a before or after diorama! :D

Not very helpful I know.....

Tamiya already did the post bang, i will assemble the body parts to pre bang :analintruder:

I remember a pic in a book i have,not sure of the title ,it may be something to do with Guadalcanal. The chap had been killed before he could detonate the bomb,but he was basically in a slit trench with a 500lb'er ? half embedded in the bottom leaving enough showing for theJapanesesoldier to be seated with his legs around it.

He had a basicJapanesearmy shirt on-with the obligatory head band ,with prayers /messages from the family enscribed.

A popular pratice i believe was to wear these when going into battle (When they knew it was going to be a one way trip) , i've read reports where Japanese appeared festoned with these devices all over their body ,ome so large as to be able to be worn like capes.

As a seperate note aJapanesebeing posted to Burma was the equivalent of going to the Eastern Front for the Jerries.

On an even more seperate note my Uncle John who sadly passed away last Autumn was a Burma veteran,having served with the York and Lancs,its his stories i heard as a kid that got me interested in that part of WW2.

'I knew i was f**k*d when they nailed the cockpit shut'

Anon Kamikaze pilot.