AZUR Dewoitine D520

After a year and a half I completed this one just before Christmas, a challenging build to say the least, but the surface detail is good, the decals were a pleasure to apply and it's the only 1/32nd scale D520. In the end I just wanted to finish so the end was a bit rushed, I had to spray it twice to get the colours as near as possible to the reference material. But in the end I am happy with it, just wished I hadn't rushed the finishing.

Cheers

Den

spacer.png[/img]

spacer.png[/img]

spacer.png[/img]

spacer.png[/img]

Edited by spitfire
Replaced Photobucket photos
  • Like 6

No worries. She looks the knickers! (I made that up. Hope it sounds right)

I just got the Tamiya 1/48 off ebay for $12USD. It looks nice and this is one of my favorite subjects. Nicely done.

Hi Dave, this may be usefull to you, French period colours are a mysterious subject.

Cheers

Den

Frenchcolor2SMALL.jpg[/img]

Thank you sir. I tip my hat to you. 'Vive le France!' and 'Hail, Brittania'

Hello again Mr Spitfire :)
Just came back home & checking the builds!
Two questions about D.520 build:
_what made you decide upon so bright Gris Bleu Clair? and
_why so tight / sharp demarcation between colors?
Hope nobody minds me reviving some of these older posts?

Hi Milos, at the time (2007) this was my first foray into French WW2 stuff and I looked up the paints in my IPMS Colour Guide and asked questions on the web, I got lots of answers and the D520 photo from Modeldad over on HS. I did not keep a build thread as such but luckily did keep some notes.

I also got some suggestions for Xtracolor paints from a SAM article from 2000, which I did not use for some reason as they were and still are my favourite paints though Clourcoats now comes a close second.

Xtracolor recommendations

X614 Brown East German Mig 29

X623 Green Czech Mig 23

X377 French AF blue

Undersides

X202 RLM 65

So I with Model Master paints, MM2109 French Light Blue Grey undersides, French blue grey MM2105, MM2106 Khaki and MM2108 Earth Brown, but I was not happy with the results.

I wrote at the time "Don’t know if I am convinced of the colours, green too dark, brown too brown and grey too light".

So I airbrushed over the upper surface Grey with White Ensigns ACF05 Gris Fonce.

Then switched the brown to WEM ACF04 Chocolat and the green WEM ACF07, Kaki,

At the time I used the Blu Tac sausages and paper masks to get soft demarcation between colours but looking back at the photos it does look tight.

Cheers

Dennis

Hello
I believe that fact you did 1/32 scale makes the demarcation created by the BluTac tech too tight. When I was building 1/72 scale such tech gave me good results. Maybe a thicker "snake" would make it softer.
And yes RLM65 and even that MM2109 (which I bought long time ago while living in Cyprus) IMHO are too blue (or too saturated) for my perception of Gris Bleu Clair. Top colors look close to my imagination of those. Maybe brown a bit too saturated (redish) but not too much. 
But as everyone else, I am talking only from my own perception and imagination & I could be quite wrong :(