Jaguar kit comparisons - 1/72

DamienB

Thought it might be handy for others to know what to look out for in the various 1/72 Jag kits... comments welcome!

Hasegawa GR.1

Certainly the best fitting kit around. The area around the cannons is by far the best of the various kits available. Surface detail is delicate, mostly dead-on accuracy wise and generally the best out there. Includes a cockpit access ladder though it's thickly done. Nice pilot figure. The pylons are rather basic but shapes are good. Wing span nearly dead on, just an inch short.

Accuracy-wise it has a few issues though none are major. There are crude bumps for the blade aerials on the spine and near the wing tips. Anti-collision lights and mounts on the spine and belly are wrong for all but early Jags. Arrestor hook pretty poor. Undercarriage very simplified. Airbrakes are awful - raised bumps instead of perforations. There's an odd bump under the nose that doesn't exist on the real thing and the LRMTS windows are moulded solid. The cockpit is very basic - blank consoles and decals with an awful attempt at the seat. The weapon fit is a dead loss - some fairly decent SNEB rockets (rarely carried), basic BL755s and some 'for the bin' Matra Magic AAMs which RAF Jags never ever ever carried. The overwing pylons don't bear much relation to those used by RAF Jags either (being based on the different Jaguar International ones). Underneath the guns there are no bulges or ejector ports. Also no chaff/flare dispensers for the rear fuselage.

No drop tanks except in the limited edition 'SP54 Jaguar Desert Storm' re-issue of the kit, which has a pair of them.

Despite all the above this is clearly the best Jaguar kit in this scale and the fine recessed detail and excellent fit are not to be sniffed at!

Hasegawa T.2

As per GR.1 but includes three drop tanks - two RAF ones and a French one with the t-shaped fins. Re-issued with decals for two raspberry ripple DERA-operated t-birds, and also re-issued with a French 30th anniversary scheme. Both these boxings were limited editions so tend to be pricier if you can find them at all.

Kitech GR.1

Comes in a lovely box with artwork depicting a GR.1 with two seats. Yes, you read that right. This is a cheap knock-off of the Hasegawa kit, with all sorts of corners cut such as mirror image engraving of the fuselage halves (thus the starboard nose is all wrong, as it's a copy of the port nose and therefore misses out details like the refuelling probe door). Definitely one to avoid.

Hobbycraft T.2

This is not a reboxing of the Hasegawa as I thought some years ago - it's another poor copy of it instead, with much of the surface detail much much poorer (a mixture of raised, fine recessed and trenches). It has all the faults of the Hasegawa kit plus many more of its own making. The fit is variable - the intakes are particularly bad. Many (most) panel lines are inaccurate. The decals are rubbish. In general I'd say avoid it like the plague. Wingspan nearly dead on, at just an inch short.

Italeri GR.1/3 (reboxed by Revell and Tamiya)

This looks like a really nice kit at first glance; however, it has a lot of bad points and goes together pretty poorly, needing lots of filler and sanding down - and that's after a lot of test-fitting and fettling to get things to go together!

Weapons better than Hasegawa, with two (inaccurate) drop tanks, a fairly decent Phimat and pylon adapter, the rarely-used big recce pod, a basic ALQ 101 ECM pod, some fairly decent Sidewinders... but we won't mention the godawful cluster bombs. The centreline pylon is great; the overwing pylons will do but the underwing pylons are rubbish - the inner ones are too small, the outer ones are too big! Arrestor hook is at least present unlike other 1/72 kits, but is too thick and the mounting point bears no relation to the real thing. Jetpipes deeper than Hasegawa which is good, but ejection pin marks right in the middle of the engine detail. Chaff/flare dispensers (albeit basically done) and cannon bulges (which are a bit too thin but are the right length) are provided.

Airbrakes have perforations, but in the wrong place, and they'd have you put the jack that opens them in the wrong place (other side of the perforated area). Cannons are shown as being visible in the cannon ports - not so - a tricky job to scrape them out of existence. Detail-wise the surface engraving is a bit heavier than on the Hasegawa kit and not as accurate though generally fairly good. The cockpit in the single seater is a basic tub with fictional detail on the consoles, with a better attempt at an ejector seat than Hasegawa, though that's not saying much. Undercarriage and airbrake bays have some fictional detail moulded in them. Undercarriage basically the same as the Hasegawa kit in its simplification. Ventral fin locating holes not quite in the right place, so the fins will be at entirely the wrong angle if you don't fill the holes, cut off the locating tabs and put them in the right position. LRMTS windows solid again. Wingspan 3 inches too wide. One noticeable problem is the fuselage spine is far too thick and does not capture the contours of the real thing very well.

The seperate panel in the kit for the underside of the rear fuselage contains a wealth of detail, much of which is wrong! The positions of the small fins and tear-drop shaped vents towards the rear have been reversed, ie. where the little fin is, the vent should be and vice versa. There are faint lines marking the position where the chaff/flare dispensers go, but they are in entirely the wrong place - should be a whole centimeter further forward (not a scale centimeter, a real one!). There are two blobs between the hole for the arrestor hook and the small fairing further forward - no idea what these are, they're not on the real thing! The further I get with mine the more disappointed I am with it.

Italeri T.2

All remarks as per GR.1/3 kit but the T.2 cockpit is actually a pretty decent attempt with throttle quadrants on the side consoles and some sidewall detail - the GR.1/3 kit lacks both.

Airfix (first issue)

This was Airfix's first attempt at a Jag and is based on the early prototypes, with short fin, no ventral strakes, square tipped wings, big splitter plates and pointy nose. It comes with an impressive load of fairly naff stores - 4 AS-12s, 2 rocket pods, 4 Sidewinders, a combined rocket pod/drop tank for the centreline and decals for the first British prototype - XW560. Mostly raised panel lines with some recessed lines for control surfaces. For its time this was a decent effort, and would be a good basis for a model of the prototypes.

Airfix GR.1

A much more basic kit compared to Hasegawa or Italeri with raised panel lines (thankfully not too many of them as they're poorly done and mostly inaccurate). This is a re-issue of the original Airfix kit of the prototype with various changes made to reflect the production examples including nose gear, nose gear doors, intakes and splitter plates, rounded wing tips and larger fin. Wingspan 6 inches too wide. The arrestor hook is heavily and poorly done. Jetpipes are awful. Only one drop tank. Noticeable step on the nose where they obviously changed the mould to do the chisel-nose instead of the original sharp nose.

On the plus side the airbrakes are perforated correctly, though the brakes themselves are the wrong shape, and the main gear legs are a little bit better in some ways than those on the Hasegawa or Italeri kits. Er... but that's about it really. The intakes have open auxiliary doors, as you'd see on an aircraft ground-running, taxiing or taking off, but are poorly done.

Airfix GR.3

Same old kit! The GR.3 issue of this old old kit has some additional bits - a fairly nice Pave Spike, some variable LGBs, dodgy Sidewinders, basic ALQ-101, basic chaff/flare dispensers and awful overwing pylons.

Matchbox T.2

Not one of Matchbox's finest hours! This kit is a real disaster; the fuselage is all wrong, with the air conditioning intake on the spine too far forward; the rear end of the cockpit too far forward; the forward end of the cockpit too far back and the entire length too short by several feet. The canopy as a result, bears no relation to the real thing. The end of the nose certainly doesn't look like it's from a Jag! The wings are pretty naff with no fairings underneath, inaccurate heavy engraved detail (apart from one raised panel!). The stabilisers are similarly bad and lack the curve at the leading edge where they meet the fuselage. The fin is poorly moulded and basic but more or less correct. No separate airbrakes (and the engraved lines for them are inaccurate along with every other line), gear bays (what there are of them) wrong size. Cannon fairings totally wrong (and given this is a T.2 there shouldn't be a cannon on the starboard side, but there it is!). Intakes too small and square with a pronounced slope on the top side. Cockpit... well...! Awful awful awful attempts at seats, and that's it - nowt else. Jet pipes far too shallow. Two drop tanks (with integral wing pylons) are provided but the shapes are way off. Sink marks in various places.

Plus points? Well, ETPS and Omani decals look okay... but that's it. This kit is absolutely godawful.

Heller

A/B/E, which can be built as either a single-seater or twin, in either French or RAF configuration.

From photos of the sprues this looks to be another very inaccurate Jag with details like the airbrakes represented by entirely wrongly placed raised lines.

I understand more recent Heller Jags have in fact been a reboxed Airfix Jag so beware if you want the old one.

Frog A.2/T.2

Old and basic, naturally with a mix of raised and recessed detail. The 'A.2' is a single seater with the original sharp nose; the 'T.2' is a two seater with RAF style pitot rather than the IFR probe used other customers. This is basically a kit of the prototype, with big splitter plates in front of the intakes and the small forward nose gear door/large rear nose gear door. Four Martel missiles are provided as stores.

Problems are - no wing fences, a fairly dodgy looking nose gear leg, no cockpit bar seats with pilots, transparencies so thick as to be unuseable, and the jet pipes are too small. Could be fun putting it together as a prototype though. You could even leave the ventral strakes off as per one of the French single seat prototypes.

Accessories

Scalecast wings with separate slats/flaps

A drop-in replacement for the Hasegawa wings minus control surfaces of course. One foot too short in span - possibly shrinkage on my example? Replicates the big lumps that Hasegawa moulded for the blade aerials on the spin and near each wing tip so they need cutting off and replacing. Also copies the early style of anti-collision light.

Airwaves wings with separate flaps and deployed slats

A really nice bit of resin, this. Scales perfectly, nice thin aerials, but again the early anti-collision light and this one has no holes for the pylons.

Airkit Enterprise 1:72 Scale BAe Jaguar Recce Pod

A resin recce pod (the early big one). Long out of production and now that the italeri kit includes the same pod, pretty irrelevant.

Aeroclub white metal/PE seats

Very nice - no straps though and the headbox doesn't look quite right though it's very close.

Aeroclub white metal overwing pylons

Haven't seen these but with Aeroclub's reputation I should think they'll be decent.

Airwaves resin seats

Spot on, absolutely perfect. Look like they'll be a bugger to paint though.

Eduard PE GR.1 detail set

A real mix this one - the cockpit details are pretty good; the airbrakes look to be stunning - though tricky to assemble; the additions to the basic Hasegawa seat will make it look a lot better; the main gear doors look to be a nightmare to assemble; the pylon details are all wrong; the various blade aerials would be as easily done from plastic card as from PE; jetpipe details are good; gear leg wiring etc. looks to be tricky to add and probably easier from fuse wire. Magic missile fins and end caps entirely pointless. The cockpit panels and airbrakes really save this set I feel.

Flight Path (nee PP Aeroparts) Jaguar update set

This is intended for the Hasegawa GR1 kit and corrects many of the ommissions in the original kit such and the under fuselage blisters, centreline and overwing pylons and aerials. It also provides photo etch instrument panels although they're only correct for the GR1 rather than the GR3, air brakes (exquisite), undercarriage doors and a ladder and white metal chaff/flare dispensers. Finally it includes a collection of RAF specific weapons in resin, white metal and photo etch including 1,000 pound iron bombs, 1,000 pound Paveway bomb, cluster bombs, Sidewinder missiles, TIALD, ALQ101 ECM pod and a Phimat pod. Confusingly no drop tanks though......

Model Alliance Jaguar GR1/3 Update Set

Includes resin ALQ101 ECM pod, a very nice Phimat pod, under fuselage chaff flare dispensers and (yes) the elusive drop tanks. Rather pricey for what you get.

Airkit? Jaguar Red Flag set

Includes 2 drop tanks.

C-Scale Jaguar GR.1 Stores set

An all-white-metal set, long out of production. Includes 2 x drop tanks, big recce pod (some differences in shape compared to Italeri's rendition?), Phimat pod (with overly large pylon adapter), ALQ 101 ECM pod, chaff/flare dispensers, 2 x CBLS, 2 x LGB noses and tails (to add to a kit bomb mid section), and assorted small aerials - most of which you'd be far better off replicating using plastic card as white metal provides far too crude a rendition. Frustratingly no cannon bulges or overwing pylons.

NeOmega Jaguar GR.1 cockpit

Resin replacement cockpit tub, sidewalls, instrument panel and coaming, joystick and seat. The seat is rather nice; the main panel is beautifully done but lies a bit too deep under the coaming and the sidewall and console details are nice enough but I've seen better. Still a million times better than the cockpit of any kit though. Made to fit the Italeri/Revell kit but shouldn't take a great deal of work to get it to fit in the Hasegawa kit.

Conclusion...

None of the kits can represent the ultimate GR.3/T.4 variants without some corrections - most noticeably to the instrument panels and the parachute housing end cap (which is blunt and has a keyhole shape in cross section; the GR1/T2 also had this for most of their lives I think). All the kits go for a rounded cone for the end cap.

If I had to pick a winner I'd say Hasegawa for accuracy, overall finesse, and ease of build. The Italeri/Revell kit comes a distant second place, for better stores fit and saving you scratchbuilding the arrestor hook, cannon bulges and chaff/flare dispensers.

Thanks to baclightning, Richard E and TEZ for their contributions.

Edited by DamienB
  • Like 2

This is the bees knees! Thank you very much. :worthy:

I have the Tamiya kit coming - someday. I say that since I ordered it surface from Hong Kong, like a cheap bottom. I may never see it...

However, your consices work is superb and I, for one, appreciate it. This one goes straight to the files.

Thanks - a very nice overview. I've had the Hasegawa and Airfix GR.1s stashed away for a rainy day for some time now. One kit which I have that you missed was the Heller A/B/E, which can be built as either a single-seater or twin, in either French or RAF configuration.

Aeroclub also did a set of white metal overwing pylons.

Excellent piece of work. Can I make a couple of additions:

The Hasegawa GR1 kit doesn't include any drop tanks but the T2 kit includes one tank.

I don't think the anti collision lights are "wrong" but they represent the old style beacons rather that the triangular stobes that were fitted to the aircraft later in their life.

A couple of additions to your list:

Flight Path (nee PP Aeroparts) Jaguar update set

This is intended for the Hasegawa GR1 kit and corrects many of the ommissions in the original kit such and the under fuselage blisters, centreline and overwing pylons and aerials. It also provides photo etch instrument panels although they're only correct for the GR1 rather than the GR3, air brakes (exquisite), undercarriage doors and a ladder and white metal chaff/flare dispensers. Finally it includes a collection of RAF specific weapons in resin, white metal and photo etch including 1,000 pound iron bombs, 1,000 pound Paveway bomb, cluster bombs, Sidewinder missiles, TIALD, ALQ101 ECM pod and a Phimat pod. Confusingly no drop tanks though......

Model Alliance Jaguar GR1/3 Update Set

Includes resin ALQ101 ECM pod, a very nice Phimat pod, under fuselage chaff flare dispensers and (yes) the elusive drop tanks

Edited by Richard E

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Damien,

Regarding the lack of drop tanks in the Hasegawa Jaguar GR1 / A, try and get hold of the 'Desert Scheme' (SP54) issue. This issue includes two tanks. The kit was released soon after the 1991 Gulf War. I had always assumed that the Hasegawa T2 had two tanks. Also, as part of a resin set called Jaguar Red Flag, by Airkit (?), included two tanks as well. I hope this is of some help.

Andrew

Matchbox

I only have vague memories of building the pair of kits (single and twin seater) in my youth. I do remember they were pretty awful and can't imagine there is any reason to buy them these days.

Oh I can - its a great kit! Ok, not one as the starting point for a detailed, accurate replica, but as a kid this kit rocked big time and I've got one in the stash for a "nostalgia" build sometime and as far as younger modellers go, this is the best Jag kit in terms of ease and fit.

I've got the original Heller Jag Damien, I'll try and take some pics for you.

Edited by Jonathan Mock
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...