Jens Hurricane : FINISHED.

desmojen

A new thread for the build!

I decided to kick off with the Hurricane as I feel it will be the easiest build of the three.

I got this kit from Bob not that long ago as I've long fancied a crack at the Hasegawa Hurricane and I seem to prefer the MkII version.

I wasn't really struck with the standard decal options so thinking of this GB I asked around for some SEAC type decals for the kit. I was pretty surprised actually at the lack of available decals! Paul Bradley stepped in and sent me some that he had spare from a kit he'd built.

295277860.jpg

In the box, this is one very impressive looking kit and appears very well detailed. I'd had other modellers tell me that this kit isn't as good as the old Airfix Mk1. Sorry guys, but I really can't see the justification for that :shrug:

Anyway, an OOB build was planned, using Pauls decals which are for a SEAC marked machine with some tidy elephant nose art.

I started out by painting all the interior parts. While that was drying, I glued the separate nose parts on to their respective fuselage halves. I'm not sure if I avoided problems doing this or not, but they fit beautifully so far!

I also plonked the wing halves together and found that the cannon inserts are not as good a fit and will need some remedial work.

The cockpit interior is stunning. For a mainstream kit in 1/48 it is brilliant, like the Tamiya Mossie, I see no need for aftermarket here. I did add some seatbelts (MDC RAF Sutton Harnesses) but it is otherwise done as it comes. I painted the IP rather than use the decal though.

296115883.jpg

296115885.jpg

The fuselage halves are now joined, and are awaiting attention once glue is properly set.

Jen.

Edited by desmojen

It looks great, Jens. Thanks for the pics, Ill Have to keep my eyes out for one of those. But, I do get that the Airfix Hurri is a second place finisher, right? That one, too, for the stash then...

Edited by dahut

It looks great, Jens. Thanks for the pics, Ill Have to keep my eyes out for one of those. But, I do get that the Airfix Hurri is a second place finisher, roght? Thhat one, too, for the stash then...

The Airfix Mk1 is a great kit, and I'd have to say that it is one of their better efforts. It fits well, looks the part done and can be had for very little money if you look around.

Where it falls down flat on it's little plastic face is in the detail, or rather the lack of it. That and the awful kit transparencies.

It can all be fixed though and many people seem to prefer it as the best option for a Mk1.

The only pic of mine that I have to hand has it acting as a stand for a Sweet Hurricane,

153893138.jpg

Jen.

I'd had other modellers tell me that this kit isn't as good as the old Airfix Mk1. Sorry guys, but I really can't see the justification for that

Aw, c'mon Jen! Surely you know the reason why *any* Airfix kit is better than [insert modern tooling to modern standards by Asian company]. "The shape is better" ;)

Anyway, enough of trying to reignite the Airfix debate :jump_fire: great start!

Mini update.

I mentioned that I'd joined the nose parts to their respective fuselage halves bfore I joined the halves. Now I think I may have caused myself a problem by doing that as the nose parts are not a very great fit now. That said, the seams top and bottom are far easier to deal with than a bad joint to the rest of the fuselage halves would have been.

The rear section of the fuselage and tail has all been rubbed down now and didn't need too much work. While I was there I rubbed down the fabric effect on the rear fuselage a bit as I do think it was maybe a tad exaggerated. This pic shows the big lump of Tamiya putty that I've added to the top of the nose.

296526099.jpg

I also mentioned that the gun inserts weren't a great fit, the following pic shows what I mean. What you can't see from the picture is that as well as being gappy, the insert is smaller in thickness than the wing. I've lined it up so that it fits well on the top surface. I will use Milliput for this because it's easier to work with than superglue, but doesn't shrink like Tamiya putty does in larger gaps.

296526131.jpg

You can also see some rather unfortunate ejector pin marks in the undercarriage bay. I using my Nelsons eye on those! :lol:

Jen.

Edited by desmojen

Nice one Jen, as always a lovelly clean build.

Thode sweet 144 kits are great arent they.

• 2 months later...

Well after a long long time in the filling and rubbing shop, I think I am almost ready for paint :yahoo:

On reflection I think I may have made things hard for myself by the order in which I put it together. I had a heck of a problem with the undernose insert where it meets the wings. The wing to fuselage fit wasn't great either, and what on earth were Hasegawa thinking when they put the rear wing join across the fabric area???? :mental:

307213169.jpg

I have got there in the end though. After two coats of Tamiya liquid filler, and then two more of Alclad spray primer I think it's up to spec and ready for some paint in the very near future.

Jen.

Very nice of you to say so Tom, but I can't help thinking that I really shouldn't be having problems with kits like this! :lol:

I got the basic paint on today. I've used Mr Color (the smelly one) in the labeled WWII RAF colours of Dark Green/Ocean Grey over Medium Sea Grey. The white theatre bands are done with Mr Base White, which is like a primer.

307348720.jpg

The canopy is just resting on there at the moment. I'm pretty pleased with it so far I must admit, there's nothing like throwing some paint on to completely change your perspective on a difficult build! :)

Jen.

Love SEAC markings and this one is a real beaut of a Hurricane Jen...looking forward to seeing this finished. As always you always turn out great builds!

Have recently built the Has Hurri Mk.I and had similar problems with the fit of some parts, particularly on the wings.

The Doc

G'day Jen, I must echo everyone elses sentiments, that is a cracking Hurricane coming to life under your skilled hands. B) That paintjob turned out a treat, the effort in the prep work shines thru :thumbsup: I'm some what surprised at the wrestling match you are having with it , the manufacturers name usually is a prelude to a fairly smooth build :fraidnot: Anyways mate you have the upper hand now, you've beaten the beast! Nothing else too say except keep the updates coming please. What a little beauty, well done. Jim :D

and what on earth were Hasegawa thinking when they put the rear wing join across the fabric area????

amen to that. I've just wrestled with a Has Hurricane where I ended up with a big step and the undulations of the fabric didn't match up.

I would be interested in seeing the outcome of yours and how you got over the issue

btw nice looking Hurri

• 2 weeks later...

First off, I have to apologise for the lack of updates, I've been very scatty of late doing a little bit here and there and just never got around to updating :shrug:

Anyways, she's finished!

309155520.jpg

Just finished up this morning. From the last pic it was just a case of add decals (Hasegawa kit decals donated by Paul Bradley) these were ok if a little uncooperative, Mr Sol soon bashed them into submission though.

Weathering wise most of it was done in the painting stages really. I've added panel line wash where I felt it warranted, a combination of Promodeller dark and MIG oil based dark wash. Chipping done with a small brush and Humbrol 56, exhaust sprayed on and a bit of pastel dust for mucky bits.

I've kept it fairly restrained as I wanted the markings to show through. I have a picture on my computer of an Indian Hurricane which is so slarred up with muck that you can't read the big serials on the side!

I'm very pleased with the finished model, it was a bit of a faff and I won't be first in the queue to build another but it has at least come out well. I will take gallery photos and add them in the next few days. Thanks for reading chaps, next up, Spitfire! :D

Jen.