Late starter - Andy's Jag

Well, just a very small update, as I've not had much time as usual. I realised that I hadn't even thought about the cockpit yet, and suddenly felt under a lot of pressure as there is quite a bit of work involved. My Neomega cockpit helps a lot, but details are incorrect for a GR3, so it will need some modification. Also, the underside which acts as the nosewheel bay needs to be detailed as per the main wheel bays, so all in all, lots to be done. The rear baulkhead on the Neomega set was last seen when I got all my resin parts out for the initial photo. I suspect the cat has played football with it, but have no proof :fight:

I had to resort to the plasticard again, but it didn't take too long to get the basic shape cut out.

DSC02028.jpg

The seal for around the canopy is a very prominent feature on the rear baulkhead, so a thin strip was glued on to replicate it. Once the cockpit is fitted, this will be continued along the side rails, but may prove too tricky to take it over the windscreen arch. I'll have to see how it goes. The other details are the canopy demisting duct, and the glands for the elecrical cables. I also decided to use Neils ejection seat, as it looks more accurate than the Neomega seat to me. The whole thing looks a bit strange at the moment, but when matt blacked and dry brushed, it should look a bit better I hope.

DSC02036.jpg

DSC02063.jpg

I am now thinking about the instrument panel and coaming, as well as the canopies. My Airfix canopies are the wromg profile, and I tried to reshape it after dunking it in boiling water, but with no luck. The plastic seems thick enough to file it to the correct profile, so I tried this on a damaged windscreen and it seemed to work OK. It will depend on how well it polishes up as to whether I go for it on the proper canopy.

DSC02062.jpg

DSC02061.jpg

Still a long way to go! :violin:

Thanks for looking

Regards

Andy :)

Great work on the cockpit Andy. The rear bulkhead looks better than the Neomega part now................ more 3D than 2D. Brave work on the canopy too. Interested to see how it turns out after polishing. Keep plugging away mate, that's a great job you're turning out :clap2:

Gary.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a small update, as not much has happened on the Jag lately. I had been worried about the instument panel, as the Neomega set is for a GR1, and I am modelling a GR3a, so there are a few changes to make. Looking at pictures in my stash of books, the later Jaguar cockpits seemed very cluttered with new instuments. Not having Neils ability to reproduce such minute detail I did the next best thing and robbed his! (from my Paragon T2 cockpit) :wicked:

I hacked out the insturment on the left hand side of the coaming, some sort of navigation panel I think, as this was the most difficult thing to try and scratchbuild. The other instruments on the coaming were a little more basic, so I had a go using plasticard again. Nowhere near as nice as Neils effort, but it does fill up the coaming nicely.

The instrument panel was flattened off in the center, and a small rectangle of old 35mm negative was cut to represent the later style display screen. Then a tiny frame was cut out of thin plasticard to finish it off. Only the HUD needs sorting now, but I won't attach it just yet as knowing me, I'll break it off.

DSC02086.jpg

DSC02082.jpg

DSC02088.jpg

Once all painted up and dry brushed it made me feel like I had actually made some progress.

DSC02092.jpg

DSC02095.jpg

DSC02093.jpg

Still need to fit all the wiring to the bulkhead, and finish the seat. I can't finally install it or join the fuselage halves until the wheelbays are in. I am longing to see it looking like this! (minus the masking tape)

DSC02100.jpg

Thats all for now. Hope to be back again soon.

Thanks for looking

Regards

Hi Periklis,

the wire on the bulkhead is just electrical fuse wire. That piece has the bronze look to it because I had to file it from round to oval, so all the plating came off exposing the copper core. The little glands are turned from brass, and the wiring that comes out of them will probarbly be made from black cotton thread or maybe fishing line. I'm going to experiment with that later.

Thanks for all your kind comments

Regards

• 3 weeks later...

Well folks, I have been well and truly beaten by the clock, and I am gutted. I desperately wanted to be part of the group build and finish on time with a nice tribute to my dear brother, but it just hasn't happened quickly enough, what with all my other commitments. I feel like I have let him down aswell, but I will continue the build and post a topic in the 'work in-progress' forum as soon as I have made some more parts. I just wanted to thank you all for the kind comments and encouragement I have received along the way.

Hope to see you on the other pages soon! Thanks again.

Regards

Andy :(

If you like Andy, I'll move your thread into the correct area for a non GB Jag. I'll be doing that to mine shortly too :)

Thanks Mike, that would be great if you could do that for me. Is that a part of the WIP forum then? :unsure:

Cheers mate

Thanks Mike, that would be great if you could do that for me. Is that a part of the WIP forum then? :unsure:

Cheers mate

Correcto... I'll do 'em both now :)

• 1 month later...

Hello again folks,

well it's been a long time since I posted any progress on here, mainly because I've just not had any time to myself recently due to working lots of extra hours. I thought I would get back into it by making a start on the undercarriage, as anyone who knows this kit, knows that they are really basic and need a lot of extra work to make them look like the real thing. Saying that, they do give a good starting point and I was really inspired by Neil's build, and the level of detail he managed to add to them. :worthy:

Luckily for me also, I have a real one on my doorstep for reference. ;)

The first modification was to file out the bottom of the leg and insert a seperate bottom bracket. The kit part is moulded in one piece, but this does have the advantage of lining everything up nicely, as I found out to my cost after I chopped them off!

The lugs on the main leg are moulded in the wrong position and don't give any location for the suspension struts. These were removed and re-made from plasticard. The kit suspension struts are also a bit basic, so these were discarded and replacements turned from brass and aluminium. The wheels have been swapped for Neil's lovely resin bulged wheels, which are a must for any model Jaguar ^_^

DSC02167.jpg

DSC02172.jpg

This whole process took ages, as it took 3 attempts to get the lugs in the correct position, so that the suspension strut looked Ok from the side and head on. I realised at the last attempt that the easiest way to profile the lugs is to just glue a big chunk of plasticard on the leg and file it to shape in-situ. I started out by shaping the lug before gluing it on :mental:

Anyway, still a lot of work left to do on the legs, before I can get excited. More soon, I hope

Regards