Contra-prop Spits

Mike

I looked into this one a few years back, and it's one area that 'The Bible' is incomplete on. They mention testing of the enlarged rudder on the XIV/XVIII but not it's introduction. I believe they were retrofitted to some XIVes - I'll dig out a picture of a 602 Squadron one along side some mk 21s where you can clearly see the larger 'horn' (oo-err missus)

There was another Spitfire "bible" that claimed that the Griffon Seafires had a wider undercarriage track, which actually turned out to be complete guff - they were all the same. It was one of those things that got into print somewhere and was then repeated down the line.

Saw one in my local Oxfam for £2.50 if you're interested Mike - I didn't buy it 'cos I've got a stack of things.

Ooh, yeah! If you can get it in time. Chris has already offered to pick me one up from his LHS, but at a couple of quid I'd be daft to pass this up. I'll PM him in case he doesn't see this thread. Taa Jonathan ;)

The Seafire 45 was, basically, a Spitfire 21 + hook, with standard 5-blade prop.

The broad-chord rudder was introduced, onto the F.R.XIVe & 18, 15-10-1946, and was, also, fitted to the 21s, which had contra-props, with an added amendment to the depth of the horn.

Drawings tend to show the 21-series Spitfires (and, consequently, the Seafire 40-series) with a wider-track u/c than the wartime Spitfires; without crawling under the examples, at Hendon, or Yeovilton, I'm not committing myself.

Edgar

Edited by Edgar

• 2 weeks later...
There was another Spitfire "bible" that claimed that the Griffon Seafires had a wider undercarriage track, which actually turned out to be complete guff - they were all the same. It was one of those things that got into print somewhere and was then repeated down the line.

Maybe the "Griffon Spitfires" were confused with the late Griffon Spits with the new wing (i.e. Mk.21 onwards)? I seem to read somewhere that the track width of the new wing Spitfires/Seafires was one foot wider to make taxiing and landing easier.

On a similar note, I have picked up that the Griffon Spitfires with the original wing had to have the undercarriage raked forward to prevent noseovers due to the heavier engine. Yes? No?

Jens

Now, it gets complicated; all of the fighters, after, and including, the VC, except for the XVIII, had the forward rake. The XVIII's u/c was just strengthened (possibly because it was only an "E" wing, there was less weight.) The 21, 22, 24 had the legs strengthened, and extended, not necessarily raked. None of the PR Spitfires had a forward rake (less weight, again?), neither did any Seafires, but the XVII had long-stroke oleo legs, the 45 & 46 had the 21 u/c, and the 47 had a strengthened 21 u/c, with long-stroke oleos.

Mind you, in all this the rake was only 2", not a lot, in any scale model.

Edgar

Edited by Edgar

It only got 1 prop though! :(btw - noticed you're from M'side - Cop & I are both in Chester... Small world :D

One prop?.........mmmmmmm.............right. Oops posted the wrong pic, (this version was an even bigger pain to build)

Didnt SAM or one of the other mainstream modelling mags do an article on Seafires? I seem to remember a list being included of all the available conversion sets and decal options.

There again the way my postings are going at the moment that may be a "senior" moment as well.

Perhaps the scans from the Aviation Workshop decal sheet will be of help with the list of kits.

sf1.jpg

sf.jpg

Go for the Airfix FR-47 Seafire. It's a great kit, the best Airfix has come out with. Only down side to the kit is the canopy is to small and the wing hinges are non-existant. I had to make wing hinges Here is mine I did a few years back.

I have an old 1/48 metal contra rotating prop for a FR-47 that I've had for at least 20 years. I don't know who made it or where I got it. I've been keeping it to make an air racer kit out of it....someday

If you want pics of that Canadian Mk 15 thats in the profile about we have one here in Calgary in our Naval museum.

Picture017.jpg

Picture014.jpg

Edited by ron

Casadio, or Casio (Italian, I think,) made a series of 1/48th metal Spitfires, plus some accessories, around 25 years ago. The Aviation Hobby Shop, in a tidy-up, found a couple of them, tucked away, and still had at least one of them, at the original price, when I last looked. That prop might well have come from the same source.

Edgar

That's lovely Ron... very purposeful. I was supposed to be getting hold of one of these from a charity shop somewhere, but nothing seems to have happened for a while. I'll PM the chap that offered & check on progress :)

Thanks Mike, it's a fun build. If you can't find one I know where there are two kits here in Calgary

Thanks for the offer Ron - they're widely available over here, just getting one at the right price is the trick ;)