GCN butchers a P47 : TERMINATED.

gcn

It wouldn't be a SEAC Gb without a jug, nice one. is it 1:32?

I see on Rich's thread that you are going to use alclad for the first time.

Dont be scared of it, i have found that it is the easiest finish to spray.

As for the sanding, unless you are spraying chrome or a very high gloss finish, it is no different than spraying acrylic.

couple of questions

p47dbubdm2jm2.th.jpg

sorry about the size. The instructions show that the panel just behind the cowling is split into two but i'm not sure thats correct. Oh thats not my P47 BTW

secondly applying an oil based was over alcad is that likely to dull the finish, I know it does when applying it over a futured coat

Edited by gcn

ok progress pics.

Engine knackered replacement coming from a star in the US.

Cockpit done, Fuselage slapped together sanding almost complete. Hope to have the black primer on this weekend. THe sub assemblies can then be done while I wait for a delivery of Alcad

P1010001.jpg

P1010005.jpg

P1010007.jpg

P1010002.jpg

Cockpit painted with tamiya acrylics and washed with N&W oils and dry brushed silver and grey

Thanks guys

Managed to pick up white aluminium and dark aluminium from my LHS they didn't have normal aluminium but I have seen a number of jugs painted in white aluminium with various panels darkened so thats what i'll do.

Had a test run with the alcad on some sub assemblies last night and it went on a breeze. I primed with Tamiya gloss black, polished it up and then sprayed on the alcad straight from the bottle at about 13psi no problems at all.

I hope to have it all sprayed and decals on this weekend and with any luck piccies too.

Just need to wait for the engine bits to arrive and I can have my second attempt at producing a good wiring job that will almost totally be hidden away once complete. :rolleyes:

applying an oil based was over alcad is that likely to dull the finish, I know it does when applying it over a futured coat

I dont know sorry, never done it.

Managed to get the painting done whilst using up about £75 worth of Tamiya masking tape.

Alcad was good although I must de-tack the tape a bit next time as it left some marks that were stubborn to move. I used White aluminium for the majority and highlighted with Duraluminium

P1010001-1.jpg

P1010005-1.jpg

P1010008.jpg

P1010010.jpg

Used IPA to thin my Xtracrylix which I preferred over water although the tape lifted up some of the OD. Guess Alcad isn't a great key for it. Blue is Tamiya XF-8, might be a touch light IMO

Decals next but I'm not sure what an oil wash will do to the alcad though

Edited by gcn

• 4 weeks later...
Nice work GCN :thumbsup: think it's fair to say you've nailed the Alclad, looks damn nice. Looking forward to seeing it finnished. Cheers. jim :D

Unfortunately Jim you won't.

I ended up with far too many silly mistakes and errors for my liking so Teddy got slung from its pram and its in the bin.

I'd lost some motivation but its back now. I'm going to have another go with a new one and try and get it right this time

I'd lost some motivation but its back now. I'm going to have another go with a new one and try and get it right this time

Sorry to hear about your loss

Gone to heaven ... :angel:

Edited by Erwin

There will be a speedy reincarnation though.

I'm debating whether to buy the Hasagawa one to swipe the decals only and build up the Tamiya one - expensive option

or just buy the Hasagawa one.

Can't find any suitable decals unless you know different