Tachikoma 1/12 - Garage kit

Tachikoma (tachcoma) is a mini tank from the Anime series "Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex". Also known as a "Think Tank" as it's AI equipped and runs by its self, independent from it's operator who sits in the tail section of the tank. The Tachikoma belong to Section 9, an anti-terrorist group run by the Japanese government, In total there are 6 prototype Tachikoma, one for each team member of Section 9.

tachikoma_kit.jpg

Initial thoughts on the kit are - It's rough and going to take some doing. All the pieces have large moulding spurs attached and the two large pieces that form the tail on the tank don't fit together at all.

t_1.jpg

I took the tail section into work so I could spend any free time trying to get them to fit , which I've managed to do (just). The two sections will need pinning about 1mm apart, filling and then the panel line etched in. Then the rest of the detailing will need touching up also.

Edited by Paul B

What a weird lookin' machine :S

btw Paul - that looks like resin, and if so, the dust is somewhat bad for your health. Try to sand or cut it outside, and use a respirator if possible, or a particle mask at worst. The dust is very fine & if it gets in your lungs, it could cause problems... like all tiny particles.

Not as yet, this one's going to take more work than the Gundam kit I'm doing, so I'm waiting until the others complete before turning my full attention to it.

One question - what's the best filler and glue to use on resin in general? I need to join the two halves of the abdomen section together, but need to create & fill a 0.5mm gap between the two, which will end up as panel line detailing.

The big draw back I've found so far with the kit, is that it doesn't come with any build instructions just that picture in the photo.

Super-glue (cyano-acrylate) is best for glueing and filling, but you can use epoxy stuff like Araldite as well.

I quite like the Manga based stuff though. the Japanes designers always seem to have the knack of making something look just that little bit ...errrmm...odd?

CA works as a filler too, but for big gaps, you might want to back the gap with some thick styrene, then either use layers of CA to get the thickness, or get some Milliput to do the job instead. That's a 2-part epoxy filler that cures overnight, is easy to sand, takes paint well, and compliments your dress sense after making you a lovely meal. Oh, and it's mouldable with tap water when soft. :thumbsup:

Just ordered the paint for this, I'll be going matt again. Remembered to buy some glue (Araldite Precision) and some milliput.

As far as the kit goes I've finaly opened all of the bags and picked out all bits required for the tail section, even managed to figure out how it attaches to the main body :) Most of the painting is complete on the Gundam kit (between coats and masking) so I'll do some more work on this one.

Good news also, One of the two figure Kits (1/6 Ryoko from Tenchi Muyo!) on order from E2046.com is now in stock and should be shipped out from HK this week :) The second figure (1/6 Ayeka from Tenchi Muyo!) will be in stock some time in June.

Spent a couple of hours last night playing around with the tail section, filing, sanding and filling. Once the filler is dry it'll need some more profiling as after a test fit of the front lights proved the front edge is to square and needs rounding off.

The fit of the two halves of the tail section couldn't be better, I've gone round the whole of the seam, creating a uniform joint all the way round. Only one section needed to be filled, but this was more to do with the two sides of the joint not being level.

Found a supplier for Mr Resin Primer (Hiroboy) and have also ordered some brass rods from Cheshire Model Supplies in Stockport :wacko: for pinning the bits of kit together for added strength in the tail and leg joints.

The profiling on the tail section is finished and I've made a start on glueing on the extra fittings, this is slow going as I plumped for Araldite Precision glue which takes 4-6 hours to set and upto 16 hours to cure completely.

B)-->

QUOTE(Paul B @ May 10 2007, 09:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Found a supplier for Mr Resin Primer (Hiroboy) and have also ordered some brass rods from Cheshire Model Supplies in Stockport :wacko: for pinning the bits of kit together for added strength in the tail and leg joints.

The profiling on the tail section is finished and I've made a start on glueing on the extra fittings, this is slow going as I plumped for Araldite Precision glue which takes 4-6 hours to set and upto 16 hours to cure completely.

Paul thats looking good, in a very odd sort of way. If I were you though, I would ditch that precision Araldite for some more traditional stuff. Like the 5 or 30 min variety. Unless you work really , really , really slowly.

It doesn't bother me TBH. Having to put it one side for half a day while things set, gives me a chance of doing something else and it means I can't rush the build.

A bit of progress but not too much :)

Finished sanding and got all the bits for the tail section ready for glueing (said that before)

t_5.jpg

All the bits are now in place and more filler has been applied

t_6.jpg

The dome that sits underneath the tail needed some filling to get it dome shapped.

t_7.jpg

More sanding for tomorrow, then the tail section is completed and I can move on to the main body.

Spent 1/2 hour or so removing the flash from a few of the bits. Here are the legs, eye balls and a section that I haven't figured out yet :S

t_8.jpg

Head section (& main body) fits well until the eyes are put in place - these will need shaping to fit. Into the hole to the left of the central eye fits a cylinder draw into which an oil bottle can be fitted (supplied). The top hole is where the mast fits.

t_9.jpg

The under side of the head section. The front three sockets are for the two main arms and the front mounted mini canon. The four smaller holes are for the leg cups. The piece in place attaches to the tail section, with a ball joint between the two. The central hole :shrugs: don't know what goes there yet :D

t_10.jpg

:D Made some progress with this build, some of the bits are dry fitted and some are fixed, but it's starting to get there :thumbsup:

Underneath the main body, all five cups are fixed as is the center piece (finally figured where it goes :D ).

t_11.jpg

Forarms are dry fitted as is the upper part of the main body. Bits for the feet, ball & cup joints for the feet and the sheath and locking pin.

t_12.jpg

:D

t_13.jpg

Lots of filling and sanding still to do, but I'm having fun :D

Nearly there... Moved onto assembling the legs today after getting the right size drill bit from B&Q.

t_14.jpg

Leg Joints have been drilled and pinned/glued in place.

t_15.jpg

Glued the ball/cup sockets in place on the leg section, along with the lower guard plates. The feet pads have been glued also.

t_16.jpg

About 80% done on this one now and I'm hopfully it will be ready for painting by the end of tomorrow :D

Last night I glued the legs in place useing the super slow to set Araldite Precision.

t_17.jpg

Fingers were crossed that the legs wouldn't fall off.

t_18.jpg

This Morning... My fears of the legs falling off and it tipping over backwards have come to nought :D

t_19.jpg

The tail section is dry fitted and will be fixed once everything has been painted

t_20.jpg

Today's tasks are to complete the filling and sanding leaving it ready for priming :D

Wow... that's really leapt along... you've turned it from a pile of odd-shaped resin bits into a weird shaped tank-type-thing. :wacko:

Can't wait to see some paint on it ;)

I promise to build something normal soon, but not just yet... the resin kit that's currently soaking is more normal than this but still based on a Japanese designed character :D

Just waiting for the filler to dry on this one, then it's the last bit of sanding :yahoo:

Objective achieved :D First coat of primer has been applied... now to fill all those little pin holes and a touch of sanding.

t_21.jpg

The tail section is dry fitted just for show.

Started the painting :D after the first coat of primer I did a touch more filling and sanding. This morning with the second coat having dried, I did a touch of pre-shading and got the first coat of blue applied. It's looking Ok, but the blue might be a midge's to dark, so I might lighten the second layer just a bit to aid that pre-shading :hmmm: Then onto the silver/grey bits... Got a nice base lined up also (well I think it's nice)

Hopfully it'll be ready for show and tell on Saturday.