Warhammer 40K

Hello peeps,

A very Happy New Year to one and all.

Lately I've been perusing some of the figure and Sci-Fi sub-forums and enjoying the work displayed there.

I thought I'd get in on the act as I'm not posting my current plane over here.

This character is called "Ghazghkull Mag Uruk Thraka" and is a famous (infamous?) Ork Warlord from the 40K game.

Those of you who play or model these figures may well recognise him (it!)

I only deviated from the box artwork slightly as I was very impressed with the paintwork that the Games Worshop artists had bestowed upon him.

if you ever get a chance to meander around a Games Workshop store I recommend it. The figure painting is stunning and I learnt a huge amount from reading the Warhammer mags for a while.

Ghazghkull was the first of a number of Orks that I painted as a pleasant distraction from the world of reality.

I hope you enjoy the pics.

GhazghkullMagUrukThraka.jpg

GhazghkullMagUrukThraka2.jpg

GhazghkullMagUrukThraka4.jpg

GhazghkullMagUrukThraka3.jpg

GhazghkullMagUrukThraka5.jpg

You are not alone, im currently working on a High Elf Dragon, wonderful kit, so far i have spent over forty hours building and painting, will try and post some pics when its finished.

I know what you mean about the painting some really stunning stuff, if you get a chance have a look at the December issue of white dwarf, and take a look at the entries for the golden demon painting comp, it makes me want to give up.

Dave

Hello peeps,

A very Happy New Year to one and all.

Lately I've been perusing some of the figure and Sci-Fi sub-forums and enjoying the work displayed there.

I thought I'd get in on the act as I'm not posting my current plane over here.

This character is called "Ghazghkull Mag Uruk Thraka" and is a famous (infamous?) Ork Warlord from the 40K game.

Those of you who play or model these figures may well recognise him (it!)

I only deviated from the box artwork slightly as I was very impressed with the paintwork that the Games Worshop artists had bestowed upon him.

if you ever get a chance to meander around a Games Workshop store I recommend it. The figure painting is stunning and I learnt a huge amount from reading the Warhammer mags for a while.

Ghazghkull was the first of a number of Orks that I painted as a pleasant distraction from the world of reality.

I hope you enjoy the pics.

GhazghkullMagUrukThraka.jpg

GhazghkullMagUrukThraka2.jpg

GhazghkullMagUrukThraka4.jpg

GhazghkullMagUrukThraka3.jpg

GhazghkullMagUrukThraka5.jpg

PRETTY COOL! A change form the Mudhens......How long did this take....Looks AWESOME......

Houston.... :speak_cool:

You are not alone, im currently working on a High Elf Dragon, wonderful kit, so far i have spent over forty hours building and painting, will try and post some pics when its finished.

I know what you mean about the painting some really stunning stuff, if you get a chance have a look at the December issue of white dwarf, and take a look at the entries for the golden demon painting comp, it makes me want to give up.

Dave

Hi Dave, I know what you mean about the Golden Demon contestants. These people are from another dimension. :cyclops: Their painting is out of this world. I bought a couple of the Games Workshop specials showing just the Golden Demon entrants. Very humbling!!

I hope we get to see how your Dragon turns out.

PRETTY COOL! A change form the Mudhens......How long did this take....Looks AWESOME......

Houston.... :speak_cool:

Hi HOUSTON, thanks for the kind words. i'm glad YOU like it.

Surprisingly, these models don't take very long. They are constructed from white metal and usually only consist of a few seperate pieces so building them is often just a few minutes once the clean-up is completed.

The next step is to prime them and then finally, let YOUR imagination run wild with the paintwork. Most relaxing....

i'll often return to the Warhammer stuff for a break from the intricacies of scale aircraft, just for a change of pace.

Here are a few more pics, this time of other Ork characters...........

OrkWarBoss.jpg

OrkWarBoss2.jpg

OrkWarBoss3.jpg

OrkWarBoss4.jpg

The dude above is a WarBoss, kinda like a top-dog from what I can gather. I've never played the game but understand that these bad-boyz are pretty tough!

Next in line would be the Nobz. Sorta the NCOs of the Ork world I think?

OrkBannerNob.jpg

OrkBannerNob2.jpg

OrkBannerNob3.jpg

OrkBannerNob4.jpg

Edited by geedubelyer

Cheers Steve, glad you like them.

I'm gonna post a couple more.....

This is another Nob! If you buy the boxed set there are enough parts to build five Nobz. I think I used the combinations from the box art but deviated on the paintwork. For the game, the Orks run around in mobs of the same cast for the most part. For my models I chose a feral mob comprising different colours and markings. It saves the boredom and makes the job lot more colourful.

tn_NuvvaNob.jpg

tn_NuvvaNob2.jpg

tn_NuvvaNob3.jpg

tn_NuvvaNob4.jpg

The great thing about Orkz is the rough and ready appearance of their stuff. Unlike Space Marines, these guyz scavenge their stuff and just cobble it together.

Here's a Nob in power armour....

tn_Powerarmour.jpg

tn_Powerarmour4.jpg

tn_Powerarmour3.jpg

tn_Powerarmour2.jpg

And taking it to the next step is this guy......a Killer Kan!

tn_KillerKan.jpg

tn_KillerKan4.jpg

tn_KillerKan3.jpg

tn_KillerKan2.jpg

Edited by geedubelyer

Hello all...........

One more Orky thingy from my collection.

This one is more a WIP. I've managed to nearly finish one side but there's so much detail that it takes ages to do.

I'll return to it from time to time and do a bit more.

tn_LesserSquiggoth.jpg

Here are a few detail pics for anyone considering it......

tn_LesserSquiggothheaddetail.jpg

tn_LesserSquiggothhead.jpg

tn_LesserSquiggothhead2.jpg

and the insides of the howdah.......

tn_Howdahinside.jpg

tn_Howdahinside2.jpg

Edited by geedubelyer

Very cool, I especially like the bone effect on the totem - very effective. I'm working on some Warhammer Dwarves at the moment, having been inspired by some of the work being shown here. Hopefully I'll have something to post up by next week.

The Games Workshop stuff is very well made IMO. It can seem expensive at first glance, eg, 20 plastic figures for £18, whereas someone like Black Tree Design does 20 cast metal ones for £15. However the optional parts included in the GW version makes them better value for money I'd say. Lots of conversion possibilities plus if you build an entire unit you have more scope to create individuals rather than the repeating poses of the metal ones.

They're also incredibly well sculpted, which only becomes really apparent once the primer goes on. A combination of this and their excellent range of paints and inks makes them a real pleasure to build.

Steve.

Hi Steve, thanks for the kind words. I'll keep an eye out for your Dwarves. Are they metal or plastic?

I've tended toward the metal figures as I'm more of a collector than gamer. Painting armies of the same thing does n't appeal to me but the individual feature characters are great.

I should have mentioned that the Lesser Squiggoth above is actually from Forgeworld rather than Games Workshop. It's a resin kit as is the Vulture pictured below.

tn_Vulturegunship.jpg

tn_Vultureleftside.jpg

The kits are quite crude to be truthful, nowhere near as refined as many of the aftermarket bits you'd buy to enhance your aircraft or armour models

tn_Vulturefrontquarter.jpg

tn_Vulturecockpit.jpg

The modeller is left to make his or her own glass for the canopies and I added a bit of extra detail too.

I chose a colour scheme similar to a Harriers but used the kit decals. (total pants!)

tn_Underside.jpg

Hi Steve, thanks for the kind words. I'll keep an eye out for your Dwarves. Are they metal or plastic?

I've tended toward the metal figures as I'm more of a collector than gamer. Painting armies of the same thing does n't appeal to me but the individual feature characters are great.

The first group are metal ones from Black tree design that I picked up at a wargames show a couple of years ago. Half have been painted for some time, but the recent outbreak of figures on BM has got me enthused to finish them off. Next up will be a unit of GW plastics (older style) Like you I'm more of a collector than a gamer at the moment though I do have the Warhammer rules which are quite interesting in a geeky kind of way :D .

The characters are superb but the massed ranks are quite interesting as the individuals have quite a lot of variation - point taken about the boredom of the basic painting though - background music or TV is a must to retain sanity!

The Vulture is an interesting beast, sort of a cross between an Aliens drop-ship, a Harrier and an A-10 :)

Steve.

PS Daz: were you a painter or a gamer, and if so which race?

Edited by Bennygman

The first group are metal ones from Black tree design that I picked up at a wargames show a couple of years ago. Half have been painted for some time, but the recent outbreak of figures on BM has got me enthused to finish them off. Next up will be a unit of GW plastics (older style) Like you I'm more of a collector than a gamer at the moment though I do have the Warhammer rules which are quite interesting in a geeky kind of way :D .

The characters are superb but the massed ranks are quite interesting as the individuals have quite a lot of variation - point taken about the boredom of the basic painting though - background music or TV is a must to retain sanity!

The Vulture is an interesting beast, sort of a cross between an Aliens drop-ship, a Harrier and an A-10 :)

Steve.

Any plans to post pics? If so, I'll keep me eyes peeled.

I agree about the Valkyrie, I think that's what appeals about it. I'd love to fill my boot with Forgeworld stuff but it's a little expensive.

Hi Steve.

I was a painter and I had a thing for all things Space Marines.

You should jump right in Daz. I know you like your armour and there are plenty of new tanks to have a go at now. Plus, Games Workshop have released a plastic BaneBlade Super Heavy Tank which is about 1/3rd the price of the resin one and probably fits better. That'd be a cool model to make.

Continuing on the ForgeWorld theme, here are some pics of a Mk IV Venerable Dreadnought with Close Combat arms painted up in the Daemon Hunters Grey Knights style of scheme.

tn_GreyKnightsDreadnought6.jpg

tn_GreyKnightsDreadnought5.jpg

tn_GreyKnightsDreadnought4.jpg

tn_GreyKnightsDreadnought2.jpg

tn_GreyKnightsDreadnought.jpg

The Dreadnoughts are supposed to encapsulate the spirit of powerful warriors in ancient powered armour so I used a bronze effect for the under panels and then more heraldic colours for the armour plate.

The models are magnificent and beautifully detailed. I'd like one of the proper Grey Knights Dreadnoughts in the future too.