Mullers build : P-40 C : FINISHED

Muller

I dont know how i missed these finished pics.

Very nice model Muller, i love the weathering.

Hi folks!

Got it pretty much finished this week, I thought the kit gun-sight looked a bit silly, way too big, so I attempted a scratch-built one with stretched sprue and some fine wire. I think it turned out ok. Stretched sprue was too thick for the aerial wires, so I used fishing line. I used a lit cigarette to tighten them, but the next day they had sagged, so I'm gonna try them again, and maybe use something else this time. I also tried some outside shots in the field next to my house, they didn't turn out too well, so I took some outside in daylight on a sheet of paper. So please ignore the aerial wires, they're getting redone.

Thanks for looking :)

Note - Wires tight just after they were put on......

SL380307.jpg

... and how they sagged overnight. <_<

SL380331.jpg

SL380329.jpg

SL380328.jpg

SL380335.jpg

Thanks for the positive feedback fellas :)

The wires were tense when I first put them on, but overnight they loosened, they loosened because the filament going from the tail to the fuselage is a bit thin near the tail, I nearly tipped it with the cigarette, and I think it would break if I even touched it. I'm gonna try it with some very thin wire I have like Erwin suggested.

I like using fishing line because it can be glued on loose and tightened with gentle heat. So it's not finished just yet. I can't get near it till at least thursday because I'm working away from home for a few days.

Can't wait ti start my Zero now, I ordered the paint I need today. :D

some guys in my club, super glue black lycra thread.

The bonus being that if you touch it when it is finished then it deforms and doesnt snap.

some guys in my club, super glue black lycra thread.

The bonus being that if you touch it when it is finished then it deforms and doesnt snap.

Hmmmm, might try and source some of that, it'd make things a lot easier, plus I wouldn't have to paint it. :)

I lost my supply of nice thin aerial wires when my girlfriend went and got her hair cut short! <_<

Quick edit to tell you about a weathering idea I tried...

The exhaust stains on the fuselage were originally black and dark brown pastels. But I went over them with a brush dipped in IPA and then dipped in coal dust, so thats real carbon staining! :)

They need to be softened down a bit though I think.

Edited by Muller

Well I finally got it finished. :)

I went to a craft shop looking for some lycra thread and found some invisible thread, it's like very fine fishing line. Applied it and contracted it with a lit cigarette then painted it, I was happy with the result.

Finished pics.

SL380342.jpg

SL380362.jpg

SL380367.jpg

SL380366.jpg

SL380351.jpg

I'm happy with how it turned out. Taking a break from the GB for now. I started an ICM Yak-7a last night, it'll be my 1st time to use PE, if I get on ok with it, I might get some PE for my GB Zeke.

Thanks for the words of encouragement during the build folks! :D

Why you dirty.... filthy........ disgusting.....P-40, I outta give you a bath! :lol:Not likely!!!! That looks great Muller, top effort . I Love the stance of the P-40 , your photos capture it perfectly. A fine build mate. :speak_cool: Cheers. Jim

Well I finally got it finished. :)

I went to a craft shop looking for some lycra thread and found some invisible thread, it's like very fine fishing line. Applied it and contracted it with a lit cigarette then painted it, I was happy with the result.

Finished pics.

Pic links snipped...

I'm happy with how it turned out. Taking a break from the GB for now. I started an ICM Yak-7a last night, it'll be my 1st time to use PE, if I get on ok with it, I might get some PE for my GB Zeke.

Thanks for the words of encouragement during the build folks! :D

Hi Muller,

I like your P40. Interested to hear that you found the invisible mending thread in a craft shop, but then I suppose crafts include needlework and the like. Good to know, given that haberdashery shops seem to be disappearing off the face of the earth.

I once bought the Frog Spit XIV and Ta.152 in a haberdashery in Switzerland.

Joseph

Edited by JosephLalor

Thanks again fellas! :)

I do like 'em dirty Jim! :D Steve your P-40 is looking just as good already, you doing a Hell's Angels bird? B)

Hi Muller,

I like your P40. Interested to hear that you found the invisible mending thread in a craft shop, but then I suppose crafts include needlework and the like. Good to know, given that haberdashery shops seem to be disappearing off the face of the earth.

I once bought the Frog Spit XIV and Ta.152 in a haberdashery in Switzerland.

Joseph

Hi Joseph,

Where I live in ireland would be probably be considered backwards even by irish standards, my local town has two haberdashery's. There must be a fairly healthy local market for that type of thing. they sell wool, thread, patterns for stitching, different types of fabrics and more. They have a display of some work done by local women, some of it for sale, bed covers, wall hangings etc. Neither of them sell model kits though. The lady in the shop asked me could i sew. I told her I wanted the thread for aerial wires, you should have seen the look she gave me! :D

Regards,

keith.