Space Shuttle models

Craig

Hi All

I want to build a space shuttle kit. I will stick to 1:144 as I want to build the complete shuttle stack ready for launch with the fuel tank and the twin solid rocket boosters.

The 1:72 scale one is about 25" tall so storage may be an issue plus the 1:72 kits with the fuel tank and the boosters are rather expensive if you can find one.

I have noticed you can get kits from Airfix, Revell, Academy and minicraft.

Does anyone know if any of these are better than others or are they all the same mould?

I posted this in the SciFi section as I couldnt find a space section on the forum.

I may try building the International Space Station as well one day.

Cheers

Craig.

Hi All

I want to build a space shuttle kit. I will stick to 1:144 as I want to build the complete shuttle stack ready for launch with the fuel tank and the twin solid rocket boosters.

The 1:72 scale one is about 25" tall so storage may be an issue plus the 1:72 kits with the fuel tank and the boosters are rather expensive if you can find one.

I have noticed you can get kits from Airfix, Revell, Academy and minicraft.

Does anyone know if any of these are better than others or are they all the same mould?

I posted this in the SciFi section as I couldnt find a space section on the forum.

I may try building the International Space Station as well one day.

Cheers

Craig.

I'm half way through the Minicraft one at the moment. pretty basic. Raised panel lines and the plastic is not that great. Should build into a decent shuttle though.

Cheers

I saw the Airfix one in the local Hobbycraft shop the other day and was tempted but I know Airfix have produced this kit for some time so was hoping for a better mould from the Minicraft one.

I think the Airfix and the Revell kits are related and the Minicraft and Acadamy ones are also related but I'm not sure if they are all the same.

I like the Cutting edge tile decals too. Very convincing look and should cover any unsightly panel lines. They also do rocket nozzles for the back of the shuttle in resin that look quite nice.

If you get the chance to take any pictures and post them it would be appreciated.

Cheers again

Craig.

I've built the Airfix and Revell (with 747 carrier plane) 1/144th shuttles when they were first released and the Airfix one was far better detailed. The Revell one is more basic, has softer detail and has hinged opening bay doors. they are totally different moulds and I think Entex in Japan did another one in the same scale. The only one from Academy Minicraft I've seen are in 1/288th scale which I think are the old Union kit from Japan. This mould may also be the Doyusha kit though I can't be sure.

The latest Airfix issues have an excellent decal sheet designed by Matt Irvine that allows (IIRC) any shuttle to be built with all the various NASA logos that have been used. If I were building one in 1/144th I'd go for the Airfix kit.

Hope that helps Craig.

Paul Harrison

Cheers Paul

I was thinking the Airfix and Revell kits were the same so thanks for pointing out there are not.

Maybe the Airfix one will find it's way into my stash in the near future.

Thanks again.

Craig.

Hi

Can't comment on the different 1/144 kits - I have an old Monogram in the cupboard waiting to be finished - that is 1/76 I think. I did get the following book(let) from the same place as the link to the kit comparisons:

http://www.spaceinminiature.com/books/sim3.html

Very useful if you are building any of the older shuttles (1992 and earlier)

regards

anthony

• 1 month later...

Try to get hold of the Tamiya one. It isn't perfect, but is much better than the rest of what's available.

You might get lucky and find it in one of those vintage kit shops, or on E-Bay. I don't think it's in the current catalogue.

Edited to say, that is in 1/100 scale, though, as I recall.

Edited by Kit builder